Cuisine at home Forums
Oatmeal Cream Porter - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Oatmeal Cream Porter (/showthread.php?tid=18366)

Oatmeal Cream Porter - Bizymomma - 04-30-2006

What is that??? I've never heard of Oatmeal Cream Porter.....

Re: Oatmeal Cream Porter - TwilightKitten - 04-30-2006

I've never heard of it either but it sure sounds good!

Re: Oatmeal Cream Porter - Bizymomma - 04-30-2006

For me....it kind of depends on what the "porter" is!! LOL

Re: Oatmeal Cream Porter - bjcotton - 04-30-2006

Porter is a very dark beer. It is a little thicker than a regular beer and about the color of soy sauce. It has a slightly bitter hint to it. I personally dislike regular beer but do like a porter. My sis' daughter makes it on occasion and always gives me a dozen 12 oz. bottles. I like to add it to chiles, stews and I used it in the Beer Braised Brisket. All beer is made with a grain of one type or another, this was made with oats. The word cream is used because it is mellower than a regular dark porter.

There are as many different kinds of porter as there are beers. The next kind she is going to make is Black Strap Porter, using Black Strap Molasses.

I discovered Porter when I was in the Navy and we visited Australia for 4 days. I am not much of a drinker, so if I drink one it usually takes me all day...it's not bad warm either

Re: Oatmeal Cream Porter - TwilightKitten - 04-30-2006

Still sounds good to me!!!

Re: Oatmeal Cream Porter - Bizymomma - 04-30-2006

OK, I love food....I love trying new foods, but honestly, I must rank oatmeal and beer up there with liver. That just does not sound appetizing...... LOL forgive me....

Re: Oatmeal Cream Porter - bjcotton - 04-30-2006

That's okay Angela, you know what they say they use the Budweiser team of horses for don't you? Well, that tells you what I think of beer. The porter doesn't taste like oatmeal, it's just used in the brewing. If you get a chance, just taste it. It does give some dishes a great flavor...not oatmealy or beery There's one called Black Butte Porter that's pretty good.