Cuisine at home Forums
A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham (/showthread.php?tid=18273)

A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham - Guts - 04-29-2006

I have experimented a lot with this recipe and I have found the simple recipe was the best. Hope you get a chance to try it some time.

My Ham Loaf recipe

2 pounds left over Ham / ground (I use my Kitchen Aid food grinder with the coarse plate)
1 pound fresh ground pork, unseasoned (I buy this at the store)
2 cups Frosted Flakes (measure two cups of flakes then crush to about ¼ inch size)
2 eggs
1 Cup milk
1 Tablespoon dry mustard,
3 slices caned pineapple
3 maraschino cherries
¼ cup packed brown sugar

In a Large bowl mix ground Ham and ground pork together. You want to keep the mixture lose, do not mix this like a ground beef meat loaf / keep it lose.

In another bowl combine brown sugar and dry Mustard. Then add to Ham and pork mixture. At this time add the Frosted Flakes to the loaf.

In a two cup measuring cup pore a cup of milk and add two eggs, mix slightly and add to loaf. DO NOT! Over mix this! You do not want this to be a tight mixture; it should be shaped in a loaf. But not packed tight in the pan.

Place 3 slices of pineapple on top and in the center of each pineapple ring, place a maraschino cherry.

Bake at 350° for 45 minuets to 1 hour

Bon Appétit
Kim
04/29/06

Re: A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham - farnfam - 04-29-2006

Hi Kim, Y'know I saw some nice Maple Hams at the store the other day, and I was tempted but resisted because we're mostly just two and there'd be alot left over. Now I think you have given me the solution to that, so thanks!
Cynthia

Re: A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham - TwilightKitten - 04-29-2006

Ooh, and if it has a bone, you can make split pea soup. Yum! I'm not a big fan of ham, but I make it just so I can get that bone for my soup!

Re: A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham - farnfam - 04-29-2006

I love split pea soup, but it takes a hundred years to cook!

Re: A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham - TwilightKitten - 04-29-2006

lol...it definitely takes longer than the 1 1/2 hours my recipes calls for! I have to leave on at least 3 to gets those darn peas soft enough!

Re: A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham - Lorraine - 04-29-2006

Nice recipe!!! Thanks. I use leftover ham in mac and cheese, or in Gougeres, or in Quiche Lorraine ( how apropos!) Or I freeze some to use in fritattas and omelettes.

Re: A Tasty and Q&E way to use left over Ham - vannin - 04-29-2006

We are told by some clever soul, that the definition of eternity is one ham and two people. Thanks for the recipe!