Cuisine at home Forums
Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews (/showthread.php?tid=181238)

Pages: 1 2

Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - labradors - 12-05-2017

It's time to review our Mystery-Box meals. What did you make with:
  • Reimagined Thanksgiving leftovers
  • Almonds
  • Popcorn
  • Bacon
  • Zucchini
Taking the easy way out, I decided to make... 

Thanksgiving-Leftover Croquettes
Makes 6 croquettes

Ingredients:
For the Croquettes:
  • 1 C Leftover sage stuffing
  • 1 C Shredded leftover turkey
  • 1 C Popped popcorn
  • 1/2 C Ground almonds
  • 1/2 C Grated zucchini
  • 2 Rashers of cooked bacon, crumbled
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 Tbsp Finely chopped Italian parsley
For coating: 
  • 1 Egg, beaten
  • Cornstarch, as needed
For the dipping sauce:
  • 1/2 Can (7 Oz) Cranberry sauce
  • Sliced, pickled jalapeños, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions:
For the croquettes:
  1. Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl. 
  2. Form mixture into 6 croquettes (about 1/2 C of mixture per croquette).
  3. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. 
  4. Dip a croquette into beaten egg to coat.
  5. Roll the croquette in cornstarch for a light coating. 
  6. Repeat with remaining croquettes.
  7. Deep fry the croquettes (in batches, if necessary) at 350F until the insides are 165F.
For the dipping sauce:
  • Purée all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
[Image: gVgkjJu.jpg]

The croquettes were the first idea to come to mind, given the combination of ingredients. The recipe is my own creation, but I do acknowledge that, once I had the idea, I did a Google search just to see what was out there and some of the results in the listing mentioned a cranberry-jalapeño sauce, so I threw together my own quick idea for that.

Actually, the whole thing turned out very well and I would make it all again. My mom enjoyed it and was surprised at how delicious the sauce turned out. I never would have considered this combination of ingredients for croquettes were it not for this challenge, but it worked. (To be perfectly honest, when I saw the list, fritters or croquettes immediately came to mind and that's why I added zucchini to the list: it would be neutral and add moisture while still allowing the rest of Mystery Box to go in either the savoury or sweet direction depending upon which leftovers one would choose. I hope you all enjoyed this Mystery Box as much as I did.

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - Mare749 - 12-05-2017

Looks delicious, Rob!  I almost did something similar, but then came up with this idea.

[Image: zu2s0x.jpg]

What you are looking at here is a turkey salad sandwich on popcorn bread.  I made a regular turkey salad sandwich filling with minced turkey, a little mayo, salt and pepper, some minced onion and pickles, then at the last minute added some toasted sliced almonds. I put that on toasted popcorn bread with crispy bacon slices and spinach. For the zucchini, we sliced and breaded some zucchini chips, then deep-fried. They were delicious, but I forgot to take a picture before we ate all of them. This meal was really fun and easy, too. We would definately eat this again.

A note about the popcorn bread. I found out it is important to put the popped corn into the food processor shortly after popping. I made the popcorn the night before and put it into an air tight container, but when I tried to process it, it was like hard pellets. So, I had to pop it all over again. The bread is delicious fresh baked, but for this sandwich, we liked it toasted.

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - labradors - 12-05-2017

Looks good. Haven't made the Popcorn Bread in a while. Considering how long ago I posted that recipe, I wonder how many people are still making it.

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - Gourmet_Mom - 12-05-2017

I was going to do a riff on the old Broccoli and Chicken casserole using zucchini instead of broccoli and popcorn bread on the side and toasted bread cubes on top of the casserole.  I just ran out of time.  Sorry guys!

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - Trixxee - 12-06-2017

Both look great!

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - Harborwitch - 12-06-2017

It looks great Labs & Maryann!  

With the sudden move I just ran totally out of time and energy to do anything.  Sigh.  When I get squared away at the new job and we get unpacked and re-settled I will have more time for cooking . . . I hope!

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - EliseoGen - 12-10-2017

That looks so juicy, Maryann. That's a home baked bread it, right?

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - Mare749 - 12-10-2017

Why thank you, EG, and welcome to the forum. We are always happy to have new members.

Yes, that is Popcorn Bread. I think Labs posted the recipe a few years ago and a few of us enjoy making it once in a while. If you would like the recipe, I'm sure Labs can find the original thread.

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - labradors - 12-11-2017

HERE is the recipe for the Popcorn Bread. It was originally from a book I have about New-England inns and when I posted it several years ago, a number of forum members ran with it, even shaping it as hamburger and hotdog buns.

RE: Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews - Harborwitch - 12-12-2017

Popcorn Bread is one of our favorites.  Now that I seem to be able to ease into Canadian/European flours I think I'll make it again soon.  Best hamburger buns ever!