Cuisine at home Forums
DINNER THREAD, 7/17/17 - 7/23/17 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: DINNER THREAD, 7/17/17 - 7/23/17 (/showthread.php?tid=181188)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

DINNER THREAD, 7/17/17 - 7/23/17 - cjs - 07-17-2017

Monday's Dinner, 7/17/17??

What's on the menu for today? 

I have l/o grilled chicken and mac salad so will work on that.

My first raspberries!! Not many but enough to add to a coffee cake – so juicy and luscious.
[Image: Jul%2016%20Raspberries_zpsxzbhiaax.jpg]

Plus, a hint – I seem to have cream cheese in the fridge much more often than sour cream and this coffee cake called for sour cream – which, again, I didn’t  have. So I swished up some of the cream cheese with a little milk to the same consistency and subbed this in the cake. And, it worked!!

RE: DINNER THREAD, 7/17/17 - 7/23/17 - Harborwitch - 07-17-2017

I like that idea!  We use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and when we can find it, cultured cream cheese.  It's something to do with our lactose issues.  I saw a recipe for biscuits made with Greek yogurt that sounded intriguing - I need to find it again!

Dinner tonight will be the chicken fried steak!  Jeff didn't show up yesterday to help Bob with the new batteries and converter for the RV and wasn't here for dinner.  The meat is all cooked, all I have to do is rewarm it and bread it for frying.  I'll have to figure out another veg since we ate the salad last night with leftover pi

RE: DINNER THREAD, 7/17/17 - 7/23/17 - Mare749 - 07-17-2017

I love that idea, Jean. It would probably give a really nice and moist taste to the coffee cake. The raspberries reminded me of a recipe that Erin shared a long time ago for raspberry-lemon streusel muffins. They were so good. Think I'll make some this week for the kiddos.

Today I made chicken noodle soup to take to my cousin who is recovering from surgery last week. I cooked extra chicken so that I could make a chicken salad for dinner along with a nice steak for Ron who can happily eat a steak every week. A few times a year is enough for me. I will bake a few potatoes to be used throughout the week.

RE: DINNER THREAD, 7/17/17 - 7/23/17 - cjs - 07-17-2017

darn, I remember those muffins now too - will remember for my next batch of berries.... I hope. Smile

You'll have lots of goodies to play with during the week, Maryann.

the yogurt is a good idea also, but I seem to have yogurt on hand as infrequently as sour cream, so the cream cheese really came thru for me.

This is a little convoluted, but Sunday I made a Macaroni salad which turned out rather bland, so looking for kick up for it, I made a Thai Salad dressing wanting to use Sweet Chili  Sauce for the ‘kicker.’ Wow, not only did it make the pasta salad pop, I’m so anxious to use it as a marinade for prawns and serve over coconut rice. Here’s the recipe it anyone wants it –
Thai Sweet Chili Dressing 
And, the funny thing is I have saved this same recipe 3 times over the last couple of years and hadn’t gotten around to making it. I hate when time is wasted like this.
Adding the leftover grilled chicken to the salad made a great summer dinner.

Came back to add - looking at the other saved copies of this recipe, I did make it before and used it on fish tacos (about a year ago - geez, I miss my mind Tongue ) and it was wonderful!! 

[Image: Jul%2017%20Mac%20salad%20w%20Thai%20Chil...mn3bvm.jpg]

Maryann - you mentioned making Roberto's grilled packet a few days ago and I just found this picture... I'd forgotten the egg Heart

[Image: Mar%2011%20Robertos%20dish%20w%20egg%202...bp9fj0.jpg]

Oh yum. Everything is better with a poached egg on top!

The dressing sounds like something I must make! In fact, I may have made it before and just don't remember. What kind of sweet chili sauce do you use? I have hot chili garlic sauce, but that's not sweet.

Mae ploy sweet chili sauce - it does have some heat.

That sounds familiar, also! I must have made that dressing at once time! Thanks.

Your macaroni salad looks delicious, but I have to say, that pineapple has my mouth watering!

RE: DINNER THREAD, 7/17/17 - 7/23/17 - Gourmet_Mom - 07-17-2017

I'm anxious to try that dressing!

And I don't remember an egg?  HHHMMMMMM?

I know I usually don't do fall/winter recipes in summer, especially since it gets so hot here and William works out in the heat all day, but today was not as hot and muggy.  Plus we had a lot of rain, so Zuppa Tuscano was my craving.  YUM!!!!