Cuisine at home Forums
Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 (/showthread.php?tid=181152)

Pages: 1 2

Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - Mare749 - 05-08-2017

Hi everyone.  I'm posting this early, so it will give everyone plenty of time to enjoy Jean's b-day dinner and have time to get ready for the next one.

Funny how this time of the year, I always seem to have more of a taste for Mexican food, starting with Cinco de Mayo!  So, when I saw this recipe in the brand new Cuisine issue #123, it was as if it was written for me.  So, here it is and I hope that more of you will want to join in.  Reviews will be due on 5/29 (please don't post before that date) and pix are always enjoyed, but not required.

To participate, just prepare the following recipes (one or both) and come back on 5/29 to report your thoughts on the dish.

CHICKEN FAJITA TACOS

If you want, marinate the chicken for up to 3 hours.  Longer than that and the acid in the marinade will squeeze out the moisture, making the chicken tough.

1 Tbsp. minced lime zest
¼ cup fresh lime juice
4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
3 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp. adobo sauce
1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
1 tsp. each ground cumin, ground coriander, dried oregano and kosher salt.
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 each small red and yellow bell peppers, cut into strips (3 cups)
1 small onion, sliced  (1½ cups)
8 flour or corn tortillas (6-inch) warmed
1 avocado, diced
½ cup crumbled Cotija

1. Combine zest, lime juice, 2 Tbsp. oil, cilantro, adobo sauce, garlic, chipotle, cumin, coriander, oregano, and salt in a shallow dish for the marinade.  Add chicken, cover, and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

2. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high until shimmering.  Add bell peppers and red onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes; transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.

3. Add chicken and marinade to same skillet.  Cook, over medium-high heat, until chicken is cooked through and marinade is reduced, 5-6 minutes.

4. Divide chicken among tortillas and top with bell peppers and red onion, avocado, and Cotija.

Servings: 4
Yield: 8 tacos

Tip:
Serve with Seasoned Black Beans

Source: Cuisine at Home, Issue 123
-----------------------------------------

SEASONED BLACK BEANS

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
2 15 oz. cans black beans
2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
1 serrano chile or jalapeño, thinly sliced
2 tsp. minced lime zest
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
salt to taste

1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium.  Add garlic; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add beans, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until heated through and liquid is reduced and thickened, 5 minutes.

2. Stir in cilantro, serrano, zest, and lime juice; season beans with salt.

Servings: 4
Source: Cuisine at Home, Issue #123

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - cjs - 05-09-2017

Sounds up my alley, Maryann

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - Gourmet_Mom - 05-11-2017

I think William would be on board for this one!

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - losblanos1 - 05-13-2017

Sounds great Maryann.

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - Mare749 - 05-13-2017

Yay! Can we get a few more to join in? Trixxee, where are you???

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - Trixxee - 05-17-2017

Here!!!  

Sounds great.  Count me in.

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - Mare749 - 05-17-2017

Great! Big Grin

Does anyone have a cocktail idea for this? We usually drink beer with this type of food.

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - cjs - 05-20-2017

Hmmm, I guess I'm dragging my feet a little on this one because it's what I make so often and one of our favorites. But, I will get my butt in gear and try this version!! Smile

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - Mare749 - 05-29-2017

I'm doing my review tonight as I will be busy with Katie's graduation party tomorrow. The one and only photo I took was awful, so I'm not even going to post it. Instead, I am counting on Blane to post his because I saw it on FB last week and it was really pretty.

So, for our review, we both thought this was a tasty summer dish and would probably have it again, but maybe with a few additions. Prepared exactly to recipe for the first day, it was pretty good and we both gave it an 8. But...using the l/o chicken in a taco salad the next day with a few extras, and it went to a 10. The seasoning really came through on the second day. And, with the addition of some good salsa, sour cream and cheddar cheese over iceberg lettuce in a tortilla shell, it was spectacular. We couldn't stop picking at the chicken, so should have made more.

The black bean side dish was an epic fail. I don't know why, but we just didn't like the flavors. Too much lime, for one thing, and I like lime. So, wouldn't make that recipe again.

RE: Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 - cjs - 05-29-2017

I apologize I didn't get 'the butt in gear' to join in on this B'day dinner, but that taco salad morphing is really calling my name.