Cuisine at home Forums
DINNER THREAD, 2/27/17 - 3/5/17 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: DINNER THREAD, 2/27/17 - 3/5/17 (/showthread.php?tid=181122)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: DINNER THREAD, 2/27/17 - 3/5/17 - Mare749 - 03-05-2017

Trixxee, I think it's great that you are being so disciplined about your budget. We use restaurant coupons and Groupons all the time for shows, take-out, and dining in. I make sure we sign up for birthday dinners anywhere we can, too. And, I've used hotwire to book hotels a few times and really saved some money. And, of course, we all wait for those department store coupons to come in the mail.

We had a very nice reception at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare last night that was put on by the Chamberlain School of Nursing for the new grads and their families. They had several stations set up buffet style. There was a salad station, a pizza station with several varieties, a pasta station, 2 Mexican food stations, 2 dessert tables, and a cash bar. It was lovely and there was plenty of food. This morning, we ate breakfast in the hotel café then had to be seated for the ceremony by 11:00. It was over by 1:00 and after pictures and lots of hugs, Ron, Holly, and I headed home. Holly needed to be back in town for tomorrow and we didn't really want to visit around Chicago in such cold weather. Heather and her family stayed an extra night and have a full itinerary planned in downtown Chicago.

We were tired when we got home tonight, so just had some soup and sandwiches. Smile

RE: DINNER THREAD, 2/27/17 - 3/5/17 - cjs - 03-05-2017

What a great send-off from all her hard work!! That's just wonderful. Smile

Sunday Dinner, 3/5/17??

What's on the menu for everyone today?

I'm determined to have a summery dinner - chicken wings and a summery pasta salad. Maybe Mother Nature will listen............  Cool

I'm going to oven roast some fresh veggies with olive oil, s&p, garlic, and italian seasoning, then put them into a warm pita pocket with some good melty cheese. Ron will probably want a small burger or sausage patty in his.

RE: DINNER THREAD, 2/27/17 - 3/5/17 - Trixxee - 03-05-2017

Daphne - the sushi was great and relaxing and Michael will get 3 meals out of that pizza!  ;Wink Here's my bargain for yesterday.  Do you guys have the chain Habit Burger near you?  Excellent burgers as well as grilled ahi burgers.  Anyway, if you go to their website and sign up for their "club newsletter" they immediately send you a coupon for a free cheeseburger.  So Tony and I both signed up so we had our lunch for free yesterday and it was good.

As far as tonight goes, it's what we didn't have last night- the chicken with almond butter sauce and asparagus.  Mid-afternoon yesterday Tony decided he was bored and made a batch of chili using some chuck "steaks" he found on sale at the store.  He diced the meat up pretty small.  It was delicious.

Congrats to Heather!  Hope the weather holds for you Jean, your dinner sounds great, as does yours Maryann.

RE: DINNER THREAD, 2/27/17 - 3/5/17 - Gourmet_Mom - 03-05-2017

Way to go bargaining, Trixxee!

I finally got the ham salad made today.  William is in there with the bowl in front of him and a spoon, moaning.  I'll have a sandwich with chips a little later.

We don't have that chain up here and I don't remember them in California... 

Dinner was exactly what I wanted - but don't think Mother Nature was listening............ Confused 

Remember LJ's Greek Pasta salad?? Love this one
[Image: mar%205%20Greek%20Pasta%20Salad_zpsxpwi81pv.jpg]
Spicy Peanut Chicken Wings - my favorite - and I now have packets of peanut sauce in the freezer!!
[Image: Mar%205%20Spicy%20Peanut%20Chicken%20%20...lbkwxx.jpg]

Trixxee, I love to make chili that way.

We went to visit my in-laws today and ended up staying for dinner. Ron Sr. made his mother's chili, which is the recipe that I have mostly used for years with one exception. (Diva's chili) So, no veggie pitas tonight.

Jean, your dinner looks delicious. Do I have that recipe?

Thank you, everyone, for all your congrats for Heather here and on FB.

RE: DINNER THREAD, 2/27/17 - 3/5/17 - cjs - 03-06-2017

Here's the recipe, Maryann - I'm sure you've seen it over the years. It's also included in a Chef's Journey...Home, page 170. But , here it is with all his notes from the time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Greek Pasta Salad - LJ's Grandma's

3/4 a pound spaghetti -- linguine or fettuccine-uncooked (I use linguine)
1 tsp dried oregano (a dash more doesn't hurt)
1 Tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 medium yellow onion -- chopped
1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (a combination is tasty as well)
2 cloves garlic -- minced
4 oz Feta -- crumbled
1 jars marinated artichoke hearts -- (2 oz) chopped (2 to 6)
12 Greek Kalamata olives (I use the ones in vinegar brine and olive oil from Krinkos -- gotta pit them though!)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic, sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Drain artichokes, reserving liquid, chop artichoke hearts and set aside. Add reserved artichoke liquid, olives, oregano and lemon juice to onion/garlic mixture and mix well.
Heat 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved artichoke hearts, heat through. Combine cooked pasta and artichoke mixture.
Sprinkle cheeses on top as serving.

*Adding a small jar of sun ripened tomatoes drained and chopped makes a nice treat mixed in when adding the artichoke hearts!

My great-grandmother and I worked on this together with the help of a cousin that translates for us on those rare occaisions we get to speak. Now that she is in poor health I figured I had better share this to ensure that her legacy lives on and is enjoyed by others.

All you cookbook writers out there I feel for you! This may have been one of the most difficult things I have ever typed! Cooking something a million times for friends, family and work is one thing but actually putting all of this to paper and then here is HARD!

Add some grape tomatoes!! And/or sun-dried tomatoes

LJ's notes:
Chef June asked me to post this for everyone about a year ago as I talked about my now 106 year old great-grandmother in Athens...

Greek Pasta (This is pretty much my own creation I made "along side" my Great-Grandmother who is 106 years old and still visits the "family" restaurant north of Athens, Greece daily. This was done totally through the postal system...this was a work of love to come up with to be "American-ized Greek" food...)

RE: DINNER THREAD, 2/27/17 - 3/5/17 - Mare749 - 03-06-2017

Thanks, Jean. I could have looked it up in the book, but do appreciate all the notes, too. Smile