Cuisine at home Forums
Tres Leches Cake - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Tres Leches Cake (/showthread.php?tid=16891)

Tres Leches Cake - TwilightKitten - 02-25-2006

Well, I FINALLY made the Tres Leches cake, and it was soooo good! My 13 year-old son (and bigtime foodie!) heard about this cake from a friend years ago and finally got to try it for his birthday. He loved it and didn't want to share it with his friends. Fortunately, he didn't mind sharing with his family! I topped it with some fresh macerated strawberries...and oh, it was good. Thank you, Piano, for the review...it gave me the courage to try it!

Oh, and my grandmother, who loves cheesecake more than anything else in this world said, "It's delicious! It's like cheesecake, only better!" Now THAT was a compliment!

Re: Tres Leches Cake - gharborwa - 02-25-2006

I don't really know what tres leches cake it. Is it a cheesecake?

Re: Tres Leches Cake - TwilightKitten - 02-25-2006

It's a sponge cake that's been soaked with a mixture of 3 milks. It sounds really strange, but it was really good. I never would have compared it to a cheesecake though. When I was a kid, we'd get these little yellow spongecake rounds from the grocery store and top them with sugared strawberries and milk. The cake reminded me more of that than a cheesecake.

Re: Tres Leches Cake - piano226 - 02-26-2006

I am glad you tried it. I by the way tried other recipies for it..and nothing compares to this one. As I told you before it is probably our most favorite recipe.

Re: Tres Leches Cake - TwilightKitten - 02-26-2006

What was different about the other recipes as far as outcome? What did you not like about them? Just curious. I collected a ton of different recipes for this. Too many and I didn't know which to try. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your recommendation of this one! Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Re: Tres Leches Cake - piano226 - 02-26-2006

well I am sooo glad you liked the cake. I tried a couple of other ones and in both cases i did not like the texture of the cake. One was way too dense and the other one was a total mush.

Re: Tres Leches Cake - PepLV - 03-01-2006

Hi.........I'm new here and have been searching for a reciupe for a tres leches cake. Some of the recipes I've seen have gotten awful reviews. Would you be so kind to direct me to the recipe or post it?
Thanks a bunch!

Re: Tres Leches Cake - TwilightKitten - 03-01-2006

Here's the recipe.

Tres Leches Cake with Summer Fruit

Makes one 9” cake
Total Time: 1 ½ hours

FOR THE CAKE-----
Beat:
6 eggs
1 cup sugar

Add:
1 t. vanilla extract

Sift together; fold in:
1 cup all purpose flour
½ t. table salt

Combine; fold in;
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup cake batter

THE SOAKING SYRUP----
Combine; reduce:
1 can (14 oz.) evaporated milk
1 can (12 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whole milk
½ cup light rum

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 3” springform pan with nonstick spray.

Beat eggs and sugar with hand mixer at high speed in a large bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. Bear until the eggs are pale, thick, and tripled in volume, about 10 minutes.

Add vanilla; remove bowl from the hat and cont8inute to beat until cool, about 5 more minutes.

Sift flour and salt. Sprinkle 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg mixture; fold gently. Fold in remaining flour in two additions.

Combine melted butter and 1 cup batter in small bowl. When blended, add the mixture back to the remaining batter and gently fold to blend.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Combine all milks and rum in a measuring cup with a pour spout while the cake bakes. Transfer half of the milk mixture (2 cups) to a saucepan, bring to a simmer, and cook until reduces to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Stir mixture constantly to prevent scorching.

Stir reduced milk into remaining 2 cups milk mixture (for a total of 3 cups). Set milk syrup aside.

After cooling the cake 10 minutes, place it on a baking sheet (to catch drips from the milk), then poke holes in it with a skewer.

Rewarm milk mixture, if necessary, then pour it over the cake, allowing it to soak in before adding more. Use all the milk, even though it won’t seem like the cake will absorb it. Drape wax paper over the cake (plastic wrap causes condensation) and chill.

FOR THE TOPPING----
Combine:
4 cups mixed summer fruit
¼ cup sugar

Whip:
1 ½ cups heavy cream
3 T. sugar

Combine fruit and ¼ cup sugar; macerate for about 30 minutes.
Whip cream and 3 T. sugar together in a bowl until soft peaks form. When ready to serve cake, remove sides of pan, then top with fruit. Slice cake and serve with whipped cream.

Combine the fruit and sugar in a large bowl. It only needs to macerate for about 30 minutes. Longer than that and the fruit will start to turn mushy, losing its fresh look.

Chilling:
This cake tastes best ice cold so chill it overnight, if possible (this allows for maximum saturation). A minimum of four hours chilling is okay.

Just before serving, top the cake with the fruit using a slotted spoon---that way, most of the juice stays in the bowl and doesn’t make the cake overly soggy. If you’d like, drizzle fruit juices over the cake and whipped cream for a little color.

Re: Tres Leches Cake - PepLV - 03-05-2006

Yum! Rum!! That sounds great, TK! Thanks so much for your reply..I look forward to making this,
Pepper

Re: Tres Leches Cake - TwilightKitten - 03-05-2006

lol...I didn't use the rum in mine. Not a huge fan of alcohol in my desserts. I hope you love it as much as we did.