Cuisine at home Forums
Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q (/showthread.php?tid=157830)

Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q - BarbaraS - 12-31-2013

Hey All,

Denise was kind enough to answer quite a few questions I had about cooking rib roasts with her fool-proof method that will come in handy next time we have a family dinner.

(the Beef Wellington came out a little done last Saturday - no pink in the middle - but was thoroughly enjoyed by all)

Anyways, I like to do Prime Rib/Rib Roast (any diff?) for NYD, but for Hubby and me it's only like a 2-2 1/2 pounder and Denise's technique will not work in this scenario.

Last year I did Ann Corrihor's method of searing, roasting low at 250 degress, then 500 d. for the last 10 minutes, and it cooked too quickly.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Barbara

Re: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q - cjs - 12-31-2013

First of all, Barbara, do you have a remote temperature probe?? It's a wonderful tool for delicate roasts such as this until you're a pro and don't need it anymore.

this is how I do mine -

Bake in preheated 425° oven for 30 min.
Reduce heat to 350° and continue cooking for 2 hours - start temping after 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from oven when 125° is reached, tent and let sit for at least 20 min.

----
But, I rarely cook one this small, just 'cause I thing the bigger the roast, the better it roasts. And, I don't mind leftovers.

Now, for yours, I would roast at the 425° temp for 20 min. reduce oven to 350°F. Remove the roast from the oven and quickly temp it (if you don't have a remote) so you can gauge how much longer you'll need to roast t.

If it's not to temp yet, return to the oven and continue roasting/temping every 15 min. until you reach your degree of doneness. Be sure to let it rest.

Good Luck - it's going to be good!!

Re: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q - BarbaraS - 12-31-2013

Yes Jean, I do have a remote temp - a Polder.

Thanks! Should I sear it first as well? I do plan on leaving it exposed all night in the fridge.

Barbara

Re: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q - cjs - 12-31-2013

I don't, but I do season with s&p and lay rosemary branches on top and onion slices on top of the rosemary and hold with toothpicks if necessary.

The initial high temp will brown it up nicely.

Re: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q - DFen911 - 12-31-2013

I did 2.5 hours for the 7.4lb roast and it had little pink. This was after the oven was turned off. So I would think if you did yours 2 hours at 350 it would be way over done.

The method I shared with her was you put the roast in for 5 min per pound at 500 degrees. Turn the oven off and let the roast set for 2 hours and finish cooking. I did this exact method with 7.42 bone in roast and just had a blush of pink in the very middle. Next time I am doing 4 min per lb at 500 and the 2 hours with the oven off.

I make a rub of 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup fresh cracked pepper, and 1/4 cup garlic powder. Now I don't use all of this on the roast, but I season heavily. Even between the bones and the roast.

I think my folks oven runs hot which might be why it was a tad over. But she doesn't have an oven thermometer- ggrr.