Cuisine at home Forums
Shaved Brussels Sprouts - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Shaved Brussels Sprouts (/showthread.php?tid=157311)

Shaved Brussels Sprouts - DFen911 - 12-14-2013

This was a great side dish! I didn't have pinenuts so I used toasted almond slivers and it was just fine. Matter of fact I knew it was good when Derek asked for seconds AND to add it to my recipe program That's when I knew I had to share it with you all! Recipe calls for 2 cups of sliced shallots, I cut it in half.

1 3/4 pounds brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
12 medium shallots, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted, divided
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Working in small batches, place brussels sprouts in feed tube of processor fitted with thin slicing disk; slice.
Melt butter with olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté until almost translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add brussels sprouts; increase heat to medium-high and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons pine nuts and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon pine nuts and serve.

Recipe courtesy Epicurious

Re: Shaved Brussels Sprouts - cjs - 12-15-2013

This happens to be one of our favorite ways with spouts, too, Denise. Love them.

Re: Shaved Brussels Sprouts - luvnit - 12-15-2013

Is this the one from C@H? We loved that one. The shaved brussel sprouts are so good.

Re: Shaved Brussels Sprouts - DFen911 - 12-15-2013

Laura this was from Epicurious

Re: Shaved Brussels Sprouts - Gourmet_Mom - 12-16-2013

Youngest son admitted the other day he had learned to like them. I'll be sharing this one and the other popular ones you guys have shared over the years. I may even try this one out on William. It looks to be fairly heart healthy minus the butter? Although, that doesn't seem like too much to me for a little flavor?

Re: Shaved Brussels Sprouts - luvnit - 12-16-2013

Daphne, did you try the Ribbony Brussels Sprouts recipe from C@H? The recipe is very similar. I made it for a side about a month ago and we just gobbled it up. Issue No. 102

Re: Shaved Brussels Sprouts - cjs - 12-16-2013

Daphne, you might try mixing butter with olive oil - more flavor, more healthy

Re: Shaved Brussels Sprouts - Gourmet_Mom - 12-16-2013

Jean, that's what I was thinking. One of the modifications I plan to implement in my recipes.