Cuisine at home Forums
Full Beef Wellington - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Full Beef Wellington (/showthread.php?tid=157278)

Full Beef Wellington - BarbaraS - 12-13-2013

Hey All,

It's been eons since I made anything BUT individual wellingtons, but I did one about 20+ years ago and can't find the recipe I used or any notes.

Anywho, my soon-to-be-ex SIL has invited all of us over again to her (for now) house the weekend after Christmas when they get back from Disney World. I offered the main dish and would like to make a couple of 3lb beef wellingtons instead of 10 individual ones.

I looked in my old Joy of Cooking (which was all I had back then) and it says to roast the tenderloins unwrapped for 30 minutes at 425, remove from oven, let cool a bit, wrap in the puff pastry and return to oven at 350 for 10 minutes, then reduce temp again and roast until puff pastry is golden brown. I figure if any part comes out too underdone, it can go into the microwave for a minute or two.

What are your suggestions? I really want to do this because Hubby and I are the only ones that can outlay the cost of this main dish and I want it to be special for SIL and nieces/nephews.

TIA,
Barbara

Re: Full Beef Wellington - DFen911 - 12-13-2013

I adore Gordan Ramsay's Beef Wellington -

http://gordonramsaysrecipes.com/tag/beef-wellington/

Re: Full Beef Wellington - cjs - 12-14-2013

I'd go with Denise's suggestion of Ramsey's method, Barbara. Good luck. My only suggestions would be to cut the tail off (3-4" that is too small and will overcook) before starting. Also, I'd use a temp. probe and roast the beef just to 125-130F.

Re: Full Beef Wellington - BarbaraS - 12-14-2013

That recipe is just a little over the top for the family. I just want to know if I should sear the whole thing in a pan or roast it in the oven before it gets covered in puff pastry.

Barbara

Re: Full Beef Wellington - cjs - 12-14-2013

Just sear it first.

Re: Full Beef Wellington - Lorraine - 12-14-2013

I haven't made it in probably 25 years, but I used to sear it , let it cool, add the duxelles, and wrap in puff pastry.

Re: Full Beef Wellington - BarbaraS - 12-14-2013

Great!! Thank you!!

Barbara