Cuisine at home Forums
Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=156938)

Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - cjs - 11-28-2013

Will this thread be a good idea??? I'm already figuring out what all I can make with leftovers - here are a few of my favorites, but love some new ideas too!!

One, is a thread from here starting out with Billy J from 2006.

My mom and I have been making this soup for years and it’s so simple and tasty!

FAMILY TURKEY SOUP

1 turkey carcass -- broken into quarters
3/4 cup barley
2 stalks celery -- sliced (2 to 3)
2 carrots -- grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup mashed potatoes (leftover or can use instant)
2 pkgs. Creamed onions -- frozen

Put the turkey carcass into a soup pot and cover with cold water.
Just bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer; simmer for 3-4 hours with lid a jar.

Cool and remove all the bones, return meat to pot and add the barley, celery, carrots, and salt and pepper.

Simmer for 2-3 hours. Then add the potatoes and creamed onions; continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.

NOTES : I think I looked forward to holiday dinners as much for a turkey carcass for this soup as I did the dinner itself. The soup freezes well.

Turkey Croque Madame
Make a croque madame that trades out the ham for turkey, but keeps the classic Gruyere cheese and runny-yolked egg. swipe the toasted bread with a little Dijon. Serve them open-faced with greens on the side.

* Exported from MasterCook *

TURKEY LEFTOVER IDEAS - 11/06

Billy - had forgotten another dish I make from leftovers. I make a full turkey dinner several times a year and here's another thing I do...make a cream sauce [of use Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soup if you wish], add bite sized pieces of turkey, frozen peas, corn and carrots. Saute some onions and celery; add to the other ingredients and pour into a baking dish [the size depends on how much you are making] and season with salt and pepper; top with a layer of MOIST dressing; cover, and bake at 400°F until warmed through. Remove cover and bake until the top is nicely browned.

cjs - I've been making Turkey & Swt. tato croquettes w/cranberry/apple salsa the last couple years, so probably will again.
Lots of turkey sandwiches - both cold (with Miricle Whip, thank you very much! & loads of iceberg lettuce) and open hot!! YUM!

mare749 - Jean, I'm with you. Our favorite is leftover turkey sandwiches with miracle whip and iceberg. We don't usually have all that much leftover because we pack up so much for the girls and my dad to take home. I do usually make turkey soup with homemade noodles.

The following is a recipe that I made a few times (not necessarily after Thanksgiving) and the family really, really liked it. It's from a cookbook from famous New Orleans restaurants. It calls for chicken, but turkey is just as good.

Chicken Tetrazzine with Spaghettini en Casserole
1/2 butter
1 cup flour
1 qt. chicken stock
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup pimento, chopped
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
Italian and American cheese
salt and pepper
1 (4 lb.) chicken, boiled, boned and cut into strips
1 cup boiled ham, cut into strips
1/2 lb. spaghettini

Put butter in saucepan and allow to melt, add flour and cook. Stir slowly until well blended without lumps. Make sure flour is cooked. Add chicken stock, mix well, then add yolks and stir. Now add chicken, ham, mushrooms, and pimentos, stirring to mix all ingredients. Fold in spaghettini that has been freshly boiled. Place in casserole dish, sprinkle with grated American and Italian cheese. Bake until cheese is melted golden brown.
Serves 6

DeFen911 - Oh leftovers are the best!!
I take the stuffing and form patties and fry them up. Or potato pancakes.
Turkey Sandwiches with cranberry sauce ala panini style
Turkey Noodle Soup!!

farnfam - Oh and don't forget a turkey fajita or two. And one year I made a turkey tortilla soup, I think it was a C@H recipe even.

dollop - We also love this recipe:
This is a wonderful recipe and even better when using up leftover cranberry sauce!

Cranberry Crab Meat and Cream Cheese Appetizers
½ cup whole berry cranberry sauce - homemade is best (or purchased)
1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup minced crab meat
2 tablespoons green onion, white and green parts, sliced
15 individual mini-phyllo shells, thawed
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place cranberry sauce in a small mixing bowl; beat with a fork or wire whisk until smooth.
Combine cream cheese, crab meat and green onion in a small mixing bowl.
Fill each shell with about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture.
Top with 1/2 teaspoon cranberry sauce.
Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 15 individual servings.

MADE THIS 11/25/06 - it's great!

Description:
"from Cuisine at Home forum"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, what are your favorite leftovers???????????????????

Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - Mare749 - 11-28-2013

Well, my family likes to have the whole meal a second time the very next day. So, I send everyone home with a container of goodies. I also make a big pot of stock with the turkey frame and freeze in containers to be used when Ron gets back from his hunting week. At that time, I make a batch of homemade noodles to be cooked in that broth and add in some bits of turkey, too. This is the traditional in our house and I better not change one little thing about it!

Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - Trixxee - 11-28-2013

Pretty basic leftovers here - paninis with the turkey (or chicken in our case), cranberry sauce and stuffing inside.

Enchiladas.

Kind of burnt out on soup right now so probably won't do that.

Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - DFen911 - 11-29-2013

Today I am making a batch of my turkey noodle soup. The secret ingredient is gravy Also making a batch of Ree Drummond's turkey tetrazzini minus the olives. Just can't picture that flavor in it.

Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - Gourmet_Mom - 11-29-2013

I have left over chicken stock this year that needs to be used up, so in addition to sandwiches and soup with the carcass, I'll probably make Turkey Pot Pie . It's an old favorite that we love! I could eat the creamy onion sauce all by itself! LOL!

Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - cjs - 11-30-2013

Certainly glad I only did 1/2 the turkey - with it a travel day, I can't even start with the leftover ideas until tomorrow...

Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - Gourmet_Mom - 11-30-2013

Memories of my grandmother and flash back to childhood....fry bacon and remove to drain, add a can or two of tomato juice (depending on the amount of rice) and leftover rice, and simmer for about 30 minutes. YUM!

Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas - 2013 - cjs - 12-05-2013

Guess we can let this one go, huh??