Cuisine at home Forums
Beef Carbonnade - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Beef Carbonnade (/showthread.php?tid=156186)

Beef Carbonnade - Old Bay - 11-03-2013

We have made this a lot using chuck roast and it has always been delicious. We are planning a small dinner party next month with BC as the star. HEB has prime top sirloin on sale for $5.95/lb. I am tempted to use this as the beef. It cooks for two hours in liquid to finish. Any comments on your expectations of tenderness and flavor as compared the one made with chuck? Really is tempting due to price.

Re: Beef Carbonnade - cjs - 11-03-2013

Gotta say, I really prefer the flavor of chuck over Sirloin, but that is a nice deal.

Re: Beef Carbonnade - Gourmet_Mom - 11-03-2013

I agree. Sirloin is always a last choice for me. For a dinner party, I would definitely go with chuck.

Re: Beef Carbonnade - Cubangirl - 11-03-2013

I agree. I always use chuck or cross rib roasts when doing any kind of long braise. Last time I made carbonnade, I adapted two CI recipes for the pressure cooker, and used round and it was wonderful (used bacon and Newcastle Brown Ale, instead of Belgian beer). It was as good as what I had in Belgium. Have to remember that dishes like carbonnade were originally "poor folk" food intended to make the lesser cuts work.

Re: Beef Carbonnade - pjcooks - 11-03-2013

I'm with everyone else here. Chuck is the way to go for flavor. I really don't use sirloin for anything, nor do we at work, either. But good price!

PJ