Cuisine at home Forums
All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More (/showthread.php?tid=155062)

All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More - cjs - 09-24-2013

about Ramen - I found this article/blog/whatever so very interesting. I love ramen and have since the author's same time frame, except I didn't go to college that young.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/the-serious-eats-guide-to-ramen-styles.html

Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More - labradors - 09-24-2013

Haven't given up yet: one of these days I SHALL make the noodles by hand.

Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More - cjs - 09-24-2013

You know I've thought of doing that now and then over the years. Do it and let me know how hard it is.

Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More - Mare749 - 09-24-2013

This is an interesting article. I would love to try all of them.

Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More - labradors - 09-24-2013

Quote:

You know I've thought of doing that now and then over the years. Do it and let me know how hard it is.

So far, I haven't gotten the dough just right, so I've never been able to stretch them repeatedly.

From what I've seen and read more recently, two things may account for this. First, I just may not be kneading them properly or enough (i.e. gluten not sufficiently developed). Second, one of the ingredients that's supposed to make a difference is the kansui - an alkaline water. Some of the recipes I've seen call for sodium carbonate ("washing soda") and, since I made a batch of this (via the baked-baking-soda technique) when experimenting with bagels, I now DO have this component to make another attempt at the ramen.

P.S.: It is probably considerably easier to cut the ramen with a pasta machine, as described in David Chang's Momofuku book, but I want to be able to do THIS.

Re: All You Ever Wanted to Know...and More - cjs - 09-24-2013

Me, too!