Cuisine at home Forums
Your favourite turnip recipes? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Your favourite turnip recipes? (/showthread.php?tid=153597)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? - iBcookin - 08-08-2013

Okay, so is anyone else having difficulty picturing turnip raisin spice cake. I think of turnips in the cabbage/brussel sprout family and can't for the life of me reconcile raisins and spice cake with it.

But then there is also those recipes for chocolate sauerkraut cake that I have seen.

Maybe I am just not very adventurous!

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? - labradors - 08-08-2013

Okay, Sharon, those ARE tiny. No confusion there.

As for the cake: the description/blurb says "An unusual, yet very tender sweet cake made rich with spices and raisins, and healthy with whole-wheat flour. Will not be able to tell the turnip's in there!"

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? - cjs - 08-08-2013

similar to using zucchini in breads/cakes.

I have to disagree with Sharon on the size - at least the size I will buy and won't buy because they can get pithy the larger they are. I'll buy up to approx 2- to 2 1/2-inches in diameter.

I must say I'll lean to the larger size if I'm buying from a farmer's market.

a few ideas -
thinly slice and make chips

cube them (and other veggies) season with S&P and other seasonings of choice, drizzle with olive oil and roast. Then mix with hot pasta, balsamic, parm, a little chix stock lots of pepper.

of course mashed, pureed and/or added to a shepard's pie

shred and add to a green salad or a slaw

use wherever jicama is called for

I used to make this soup a lot for catering - just delicious

* Exported from MasterCook *

WHITE ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP WITH THYME BUTTER

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Bon Appetit

8 T. butter -- room temp.
3 T. minced fresh thyme
6 med leeks -- (white & pale green only), sliced
2 clove garlic -- minced
10 c chicken broth -- low-salt (or more)
2 lbs celery root -- (celeriac), peeled, cut in 1" pcs.
1 1/2 lbs turnips -- peeled, each cut in 8 wedges
1 lb parsnips -- peeled, cut in 3/4" pcs.
1/2 c whipping cream

Mix 6 T. butter & thyme in small bowl to blend well. Season thyme butter to taste w/salt/pepper.

Melt remaining 2 T. butter in heavy large pot over med. heat. Add leeks & garlic & saute till leeks are tender but not brown, about 10 min. Add 10 cups broth, celery root, turnips & parsnips; bring to boil. Reduce heat to med., cover & simmer till veggies are very tender, ~50 min. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender till smooth.

Return soup to pot; stir in cream; season w/salt/pepper.

(Thyme butter & soup can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap butter in plastic wrap. Cool soup slightly. Frig uncovered till cold, then cover & keep chilled. Rewarm soup over med. heat, adding more broth, if desired, to thin.)

Ladle soup into 12 bowls. Top each w/small piece to thyme butter; swirl into soup & serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think oven roasting with other veggies and tossed with hot pasta is about my favorite, but I'm a pasta person anyway...can I say that??????

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? - Harborwitch - 08-08-2013

I buy the bigger ones 2" size. If I can find the tiny ones and have a plan it's good. Otherwise the big ones for regular use are wonderful. Love kohlrabi and ruttabeggas too!

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? - Mare749 - 08-08-2013

Quote:

@Maryann: When you do use them in stews (or other such things where they are with potatoes), is their cooking time about the same as potatoes - so you would add them at about the same time, or do they need to go in earlier or later than the potatoes?

@Jean: Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Labs, I put them in at the same time but cut them smaller than the potatoes. I cut the potatoes into cubes and the turnips into little bricks. Does that make sense?

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? - DFen911 - 08-08-2013

The baby ones I get are about the size of a large pearl onion 1 1/2". The baby zucchinis I get are about 3" long and baby carrots about the same. The pattypan squash (summer squash) are about 2" in diameter. But they are usually so expensive in the store I don't bother. I mainly get them when I see them at an open market. But what a pretty side dish they make!

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? - Mare749 - 08-08-2013

We grew those last summer for the first time, Denise. Just delicious on the grill.

RE: Your favourite turnip recipes? - labradors - 12-01-2016

Never did try these ideas, just due to timing and availability when I was still in Honduras, but one of the produce vendors at today's market gave me a big bag of turnips, so it looks like time to revisit these recipes.

RE: Your favourite turnip recipes? - cjs - 12-01-2016

Wow, a real blast from the past! Fun being back where you can get lots of variety of goodies, huh?

RE: Your favourite turnip recipes? - Mare749 - 12-02-2016

Labs, do you know how to store those turnips so that they will keep for a while? I have always been curious about that but never looked into it. Ron saw a suggestion somewhere, probably on TV about keeping onions. They said that you could store onions in the fridge if you wrap them individually in newspaper.