Cuisine at home Forums
Huckleberry Compote - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Huckleberry Compote (/showthread.php?tid=153161)

Huckleberry Compote - mjkcooking - 07-25-2013

When we were in Ore. several years ago I had a Smoke Salmon Plate that had this
Compote on the plate - The Plate included Hot Bread - Sliced Apples and Pears
and this was in the middle
I found it really enjoyable
Have been looking for a recipe - and this is what I found:

Huckleberry Compote
Makes 2 1/4 cups -- From Seattle Times Company

3/4 cup apple juice
2 Tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
1 Cup Sugar
2 Cups fresh wild huckleberries( I used Mixture of tart and sweet dried Cherries)
2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoon water

*** I added one 8 oz cream cheese to this mixture as was cooling

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the apple juice, lemon juice and sugar to a low boil over medium high heat. Stir in the huckleberries

2. In a small bowl, Whisk the cornstarch and water. Bring the compote to a boil and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and remove from heat. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use. Compote can be held refrigerated for up to 3 weeks

** See above note - added 8 oz cream cheese to above mixture

Chef's note: The Compote is great on pancakes, French toast or Ice Cream

I used the Dried Cherries - got from Sams Club or used Cran Raisins as
no access to Huckleberries

Everyone loved this with the Smoked Salmon.

Re: Huckleberry Compote - cjs - 07-25-2013

Sounds good, Marye - this is the one I have used for years. For huckleberries, blackberries, raspberries,...................

This is from a Chef's Journey...Home, page 1 and 2 - wonderful, wonderful!

My Great-Uncle Wallace Thatcher made these pancakes for my sister and me every summer when we visited him and Aunt Lolly. Even today, they are the best I have every tasted! While they are delicious with warm maple syrup, homemade Blackberry syrup is just made for these pancakes.

Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes

6 rounded T. flour (see CJ’s tip)
3 1/2 cups buttermilk (may need a little more to make a thin batter)
1 1/2 rounded tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 T. bacon grease (see CJ’s tip)
3 T. sugar

Mix all the ingredients together; the batter should be rather thin, a little thicker than a crepe batter. Heat a pancake griddle to medium-high and regulate heat so the bottom of the pancake is nicely browned when the bubbles appear on top.

Pour 1/3-cup size pancake batter on a hot griddle rubbed with more bacon grease or vegetable oil.

Turn as soon as the top of pancake has bubbles; cook other side until browned. Makes 14 – 18 pancakes.

CJ’s tips: After years of making these pancakes, I finally measured “6 dinnerware tablespoons” of flour and found it is equal to approximately
1 1/2 cups.

While bacon grease makes these the delicious pancakes they are, you can use vegetable oil in its place.

-----------------

I began making this syrup in 1965 when I finally got my Uncle Wallace's recipe for his Buttermilk Pancakes - his pancakes deserved the best I could do and I think this syrup does them justice. Any berries, or a combination of several, will do, fresh or frozen.

Blackberry Syrup

1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries (or berries of your choice)
1/4 cup sugar
2 T. water
2 T. corn syrup
1 T. cornstarch, mixed with 1 T. cold water
1 T. lemon juice

In a pan, combine the berries with the sugar, the 2 T. of water and corn syrup; bring to a boil, mashing berries slightly with a spoon.

Mix the 1 T. of water with the cornstarch until smooth; stir into boiling berry mixture and cook, stirring until the syrup boils and thickens.

Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Serve warm or cool. Makes 1 cup.

CJ’s tip: In addition to pancakes and waffles, this syrup is wonderful on ice cream, especially home made ice cream!