Cuisine at home Forums
Pre-Brined Turkey - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Pre-Brined Turkey (/showthread.php?tid=143623)

Pre-Brined Turkey - piano226 - 11-13-2012

HI,

Went to Costco yesterday and saw pre-brined raw turkeys there. Did anybody try this before? They looked good but on the expensive side, like $3.39 per pound. I would not mind spending the money but would like to know if they are any good.

Thank you

Re: Pre-Brined Turkey - cjs - 11-13-2012

Never bought one, but have brined turkeys before. Haven't done it for a while, tho. I liked doing it.

Re: Pre-Brined Turkey - luvnit - 11-13-2012

From what I understand and what I have read (please someone correct me if I am wrong), is that most turkeys are already injected with an 8% salt solution, which essentially means it is already brined.

A learned about this a few years ago after I brined a turkey, cooked it and it tasted like ham! I was so disappointed. I guess I double brined it???

When I read up on it I found out that you should only brine fresh, non-injected (saline) birds.

If I am mistaken, please someone, enlighten me!!!

Re: Pre-Brined Turkey - piano226 - 11-13-2012

My coworker said her DIL bought it last year and she loved it. Unfortunately that coworker is not a reliable foodie source. She now recommended two restaurants to me and they both were awful. Hmm...what to do what to do

Re: Pre-Brined Turkey - Trixxee - 11-13-2012

Oooh, that's pretty pricey.

Re: Pre-Brined Turkey - luvnit - 11-13-2012

Quote:

Oooh, that's pretty pricey.

Yes, I agree that is pretty pricey, er VERY pricey for turkey. I would rather spend the money on a fresh bird with NO injections and brine it myself. JMHO...

Re: Pre-Brined Turkey - cjs - 11-13-2012

You do have to be careful not to buy an already brined one as Laura mentioned.