Cuisine at home Forums
Peeling hard-cooked eggs - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Peeling hard-cooked eggs (/showthread.php?tid=137022)

Peeling hard-cooked eggs - Mare749 - 06-19-2012

When I hard-cook eggs, I usually do a dozen at a time, using 6 for deviled eggs, and the other six for sandwiches. Why is it so easy to peel the eggs before they are refrigerated? It's so frustrating trying to peel them a day or two later.

So...the other day an idea came to me...why not put the refrigerated eggs in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes to take the chill off? Wow, what a difference that made! The shells came right off. I can't believe that this never crossed my mind before now.

Just wanted to share...

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - Gourmet_Mom - 06-19-2012

That's a good tip, Maryann. I'm curious, though. Why not peel them all before refrigerating?

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - cjs - 06-19-2012

good tip.

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - farnfam - 06-19-2012

Remember Billy's tip to spray eggs with Pam type spray before boiling? I've been using it ever since and it always works.

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - Mare749 - 06-20-2012

Quote:

That's a good tip, Maryann. I'm curious, though. Why not peel them all before refrigerating?

This may be a myth, but I always thought that eggs keep longer in the shell.

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - DFen911 - 06-20-2012

Myth

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - cjs - 06-20-2012

Yes, a myth. Most restaurants (at least where I worked) had large buckets of shelled eggs.

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - Mare749 - 06-20-2012

Well, I'm glad to know that! Thank you!

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - iBcookin - 06-21-2012

Yeah, but we have purchased the eggs that way (peeled), and I thought they were in a brine that preserved them for an additional length of time.

Re: Peeling hard-cooked eggs - luvnit - 06-24-2012

Quote:

Remember Billy's tip to spray eggs with Pam type spray before boiling? I've been using it ever since and it always works.

Billy's tip was great! I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!