Cuisine at home Forums
OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend (/showthread.php?tid=135254)

OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - Gourmet_Mom - 05-05-2012

Well, not terribly off topic. Today we went to Southport to celebrate the life of a long time dear friend. Maryann, you may remember me showing you his house where we spent many hours on his front porch. He died of cancer just before Christmas, but no funeral was held. Instead, his wife planned a memorial service today. It was held at one of our favorite places, Provision Company on the water. To get a better idea of why we loved it, click on the Virtual Tour at the bottom of the page.

Anyway, it was just the send off John would have wanted at one of the hottest places in town, that he built and started. Walking in, we were told everything was on the house! Crab cakes, shrimp and wings, John's favorites, and alcohol of every kind flowed throughout the hour and a half celebration. Stories were shared by many, including several by William, one of the few to not break down, toasts were made often, and the mayor announced today officially named John Gorman Day.

I just felt the need to share and thought some of you would enjoy a tour of a very unique eatery in one of my favorite places on earth!

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - farnfam - 05-05-2012

Oh Daph, what a wonderful way to say goodbye. The place looks cool too. I am glad you got to be part of John Gorman day!

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - Trixxee - 05-06-2012

Looks so peaceful and pretty. What a lovely place to remember your friend by.

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - cjs - 05-06-2012

Oh my, will be anxious to get back on here to check things out.

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - labradors - 05-06-2012

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Great place and idea to honour him, though.

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - Gourmet_Mom - 05-06-2012

Labs, the venue of the memorial was John's brainchild. It was like bringing things full circle. I guess that's Paul and Maria, the current owners who bought the property and concept, footed the bill for John's memorial. They've made a mint off that restaurant. John made it what it is today. My kids grew up at that place as it transformed into what it is today. It was an emotional day.

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - Mare749 - 05-06-2012

Oh Daphne, I do remember! And what a fantastic way to remember your dear friend. I know it was an emotional day, but was also very healing to spend that time with close friends and share stories. That's how it should be, in my opinion. I told my girls a long time ago to not make a big deal out of my funeral and have a wonderful party to celebrate my life instead, once they are ready to do so. It just makes so much more sense to me.

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - labradors - 05-07-2012

That's really cool, Daphne. Thanks for the info.

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - mjkcooking - 05-07-2012

Daphane

Thanks for sharing - what a great way to share your memories good for the soul.
marye

Re: OT-Good Bye Dear Friend - cjs - 05-07-2012

Conch Fritters - that's what I'm ordering when I get there.

What a wonderful send off and rememberance, Daphne. I sure hope my family remembers this is what I want when I'm outta here - a big party!!!