Cuisine at home Forums
What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? (/showthread.php?tid=135161)

What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? - cjs - 05-02-2012

What's on the menu for everyone today?

We're on the road, so don't know for sure where, when or what we'll be having.

Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? - Mare749 - 05-02-2012

No ideas yet. I'm going to be gone for the rest of the afternoon, so it will have to be something quick.

Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? - Trixxee - 05-02-2012

I have a bunch of basil that needs to be used as well as some frozen mussels so I may go this route:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Steamed-Mussels-in-Thai-Curry-Sauce-106614

I'll check with Tony first. I don't want to just "spring" mussels on him. LOL.

Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? - farnfam - 05-02-2012

Mmmm, Trix, I like the sound of that.
I'm doing spaghetti meatballs sausage and salad for the Fellers that'll be arriving this evening
I bet you can all hear me sighing

Well, now I can't get that link to open - just keeps going trying to load. Can anyone else get it to load and copy and paste it here for me? I've been trying for a half an hour on two different computers, on Explorer and Firefox.

Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? - cjs - 05-02-2012

I'm tryin' Trixxee, but I can't even open Epicurious......

OK - must be Epi. Thanks though!

Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? - farnfam - 05-02-2012

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Steamed-Mussels-in-Thai-Curry-Sauce-106614
See if it work now, it worked for meon the iPad

Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 5/2? - losblanos1 - 05-02-2012

Tonight, it's Japanese style pork cutlets on jasmine rice with a side of asparagus.

This is to funny, the Thai mussel recipe is from Yarrow Bay grill in Kirkland, Washington, I've eaten there. Delicious food!

Trixxee, here's the recipe.

2 13.5-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk* (3 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste**
1 cup chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
2 stalks lemongrass,** trimmed, coarsely chopped (about 1/3 cup) or 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)**
3 kaffir lime leaves or 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice plus 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel

2 tablespoons peanut oil
3 pounds mussels, scrubbed, debearded
4 plum tomatoes, diced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Edited to add (because it may be useful):
Bring coconut milk to boil in heavy large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium; add curry paste and whisk until dissolved. Add next 6 ingredients. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Strain into bowl.

Heat peanut oil in large deep skillet over high heat. Add mussels. Sauté 2 minutes. Add strained curry sauce. Cover and cook until mussels open, about 4 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open). Transfer to large serving bowl. Sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro and serve.

* Available at Indian, Southeast Asian, and Latin American markets as well as many supermarkets.

** Available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.

Blane - you saved the day. I'm hoping it's good! Cis- thanks - finally got that to work as well!