Cuisine at home Forums
Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=134832)

Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - cjs - 04-23-2012

Hope this doesn't confuse anyone!! Here is the menu I chose for my B'day dinner - all are from C@H Grilling book #4 - and the review will be May 14th.

This will allow everyone to make the dinners whenever they want, but just don't review this one until later.

Pinon-Crusted Chicken with guacamole
C@H Grilling Book #4
Makes 4 breasts & 2 cups guacamole

For the Guacamole:
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and chopped
2 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
Salt to taste

For the Chicken:
1/4 cup rough chopped pinions (pine nuts)
1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips, about 2 oz.
1/4 tsp. chili powder
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)
Salt and black pepper
1/2 cup purchased salsa

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Coarsely mash avocados, lime juice, cilantro, and jalapeno for the guacamole in a bowl using a fork. Season with salt; cover and chill.

Toast pinions for the crust in a nonstick skillet over med-high heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Add chips and chili powder to skillet; cook 1 minute, then transfer crust mixture to a shallow dish.

Season chicken with salt and pepper and coat with nonstick spray. Grill chicken, covered until browned on one side, about 5 minutes. Dip the cooked side of each breast into the salsa, then dredge the salsa side in the crust mixture.

Return chicken to the grill, crusted side up, and grill until cooked through, 4 to 5 min. more. Serve chicken over guacamole.

Fast Refried Beans

15 oz. can refried beans
15 oz. can pinto beans
1 cup purchased salsa
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded jack or white cheddar cheese

Combine beans and salsa in a saucepan. Heat over med-high heat until warmed through.

Grilled Pineapple Parfaits
C@H Grilling Book #4
Makes 4 parfaits

FORTHE YOGURT SAUCE-
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar

FORTHE PARFAITS-
6 slices purchased pound cake, 1/2-inch thick
5 rings fresh pineapple, 1/2" thick
1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts

Preheat grill to medium.

Beat cream for the yogurt sauce to soft peaks in a bowl using a hand mixer. Blend in yogurt and sugar just to combine; chill until ready to assemble the parfaits. Grill pound cake and pineapple, covered, until lightly charred, 1-2 minutes per side. Dice each slice of cake into 9 pieces and each pineapple ring into 8 chunks.

To assemble parfaits, pour some of the Caramel Sauce into each of 4 dessert dishes. Top each with about 1/4 cup of pound cake and pineapple, then drizzle with more Caramel and yogurt sauces; sprinkle with peanuts. Repeat layering one more time, ending with the nuts.

Caramel Sauce

Caramel sauce takes a while to get going, but it can scorch quickly, so keep an eye on it. Makes 2/3 cup

1 /2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Combine brown sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan. Simmer mixture over
medium heat until sugar dissolves, then increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook until syrup is dark brown, about 5 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally.

Off heat, slowly add cream, whisking constantly until incorporated (be careful - the
caramel will bubble and sputter as the cream is added). When bubbling subsides, add
butter, whisking until smooth. Cool sauce to thicken before serving in parfaits.

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - Mare749 - 04-23-2012

This sounds delicious, Jean. I'm really looking forward to making it. One question, though. For the beans, would I be correct in assuming that you sprinkle the cheese on top of the dish when serving?

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - cjs - 04-23-2012

This is not giving away the farm, so I'll respond. I didn't do them as written above. I mixed all together with 1/2 the cheese, put in a baking dish and put in the oven with the remaining cheese on top. Easier for me.

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - Trixxee - 04-23-2012

I'm positive that a friend of mine made the chicken and was pleased with it.

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - cjs - 04-23-2012

Trixxee- quiet!!!

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - losblanos1 - 04-23-2012

Great choice, I've had my eye on this recipe for quite a while, but could never find pinon nuts at the store and never made it. Now that I've actually read the recipe, I know that they're pine nuts. Doh!

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - Mare749 - 04-23-2012

Quote:

This is not giving away the farm, so I'll respond. I didn't do them as written above. I mixed all together with 1/2 the cheese, put in a baking dish and put in the oven with the remaining cheese on top. Easier for me.

Oh, I like that idea, Jean. Don't worry, you aren't giving away the farm. The directions don't say what to do with the cheese anyway, and your idea is a great one.

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - Gourmet_Mom - 04-23-2012

This really does sound delicious! I hope I can get to it. I'm hoping to do Maryann's this weekend.

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - Trixxee - 04-23-2012

Quote:

Trixxee- quiet!!!

Well, you'll be glad to know she didn't try it so I didn't give anything away! LOL. I asked her about it today it didn't ring a bell! I must have dreamed it up (not surprising).

Re: Jean's B'day Dinner - Review May 14, 2012 - Gourmet_Mom - 04-28-2012

I have a question about this one also. How far ahead can the sauces for the parfait be made?