Cuisine at home Forums
Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? (/showthread.php?tid=134660)

Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - cjs - 04-17-2012

There are two schools of thought on using a tomato based pizza sauce versus sliced fresh tomatoes on a Margharita pizza. Yesterday, I made both to decide for which I preferred.

(I was going to post a poll, but can't remember how to work the darn thing, so just give your opinions.... )

By a huge margin, we prefer fresh sliced (with skins removed) tomatoes over the tomato based sauce.

[Image: MagharitawfreshtomatoesApr16.jpg]

How about you pizza makers??

Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - Lorraine - 04-17-2012

I like the fresh ones, usually use cherry/grape tomatoes cut in half.

Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - farnfam - 04-17-2012

We've prefer sauce but it has to be the just the right combination of sweet and salty. I often wind up putting fresh tomatoes on it anyway.

Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - cjs - 04-17-2012

Both, interesting, Cis.

Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - karyn - 04-17-2012

I like fresh tomatoes best, too, unless the tomatoes aren't worth eating...

By the way, I just read an interesting article on Serious Eats about fried pizza. Have you every given this a try? It sounds really tasty!

I did read about this somewhere - BUT, adding liquid smoke to the mozzarella...what an interesting idea!

Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - Old Bay - 04-17-2012

Quote:

I did read about this somewhere - BUT, adding liquid smoke to the mozzarella...what an interesting idea!

I like it either way as long as the fresh tomatoes have flavor. What about smoked Spanish paprika instead of liquid smoke?

Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - Harborwitch - 04-17-2012

I like both - bur fresh tomatoes are best. The fried pie sounds intriguing - may have to try that.

I am really getting anxious to smoke some cheese - low temp smoke and a lot of ice in the smoker work so that it doesn't get dry. I wrap it in cheese cloth, put it on the top shelf, and fill the water bowl with ice, and if I have room I'll put foil pan of ice in the smoker just under the cheese.

I don't think I'll be doing any smoking of cheese - just seems like it would alter the texture too much.

Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? - losblanos1 - 04-17-2012

Fresh gets my vote, especially for a Margherita pizza.