Cuisine at home Forums
Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 (/showthread.php?tid=134422)

Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - Mare749 - 04-07-2012

I chose my birthday dinner from Cuisine Tonight because it's a quick and easy menu, so am hoping that more of you will be able to partipate. Review date is April 30!

* Exported from MasterCook *

ASIAN PORK SATAYS WITH STICK RICE

Recipe By:Cuisine Tonight (favorite weeknight menus) page 50
Serving Size : 4
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 8 oz. jar Hoisin sauce
1/2 cup chili garlic sauce ***
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
salt to taste
1 1 1/2 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed

For the rice:
3 cups water
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups dry medium grain rice
1 cup frozen peas -- thawed
1/4 cup rice vinegar

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Simmer hoisin, chili garlic sauce, honey, vinegar, oil, and salt for the satays in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, then cool.

Prepare pork, cutting into thirds lengthwise, then in half crosswise to make 6 pieces. Finally, slice each piece in half lengthwise to make 12 strips, each 4-6" long. Toss strips in marinade, then thread on skewers.

Bring water and salt for the rice to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Just before serving, stir in peas and vinegar.

Arrange satays on the grill so the skewers extend over the edge; cover and cook 3-4 minutes. Flip satays, baste with marinade, then grill until cooked through, 3-4 minutes more.

Start to Finish Time: 30 minutes

NOTES : ***Maryann's notes: I would start with 1/4 cup (or less) of chili garlic sauce and taste it before adding the rest.

Suggested side:

CUCUMBER RELISH
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
2 cups cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced.
1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced.

Combine sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper flakes in a bowl. Add cucumber and onion; toss to combine. Chill until ready to serve. (Can be made up to 1 hour ahead.)

For dessert, I wanted something light and lemony, so decided on my mom's recipe for Lemon Chiffon Pie. I have no idea where she got it, as it's one of those recipes that date back to the 50's or 60's. It's just delicious.

* Exported from MasterCook *

LEMON CHIFFON PIE

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 9" pie shell
4 tablespoons corn starch
1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lemon rind -- grated
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
4 eggs separated

Bake pie shell. In a double boiler combine cornstarch, 1 cup sugar and boiling water. Cook, stirring constantly till mixture thickens. Add salt, lemon juice, and grated rind. Continue cooking stirring constantly till blended. Beat egg yolks until they are lemon colored. Pour mixture over egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return mixture to double boiler, cook 4 minutes, add butter, blend well.

Remove, let mixture cool, then pour into baked pie shell. Beat egg whites till very stiff. Gradually add 6 Tbs. sugar and beat until it peaks. Spread over lemon mixture with spatula, completely to edges. Bake 15 minutes at 325 degrees.

Source:
"Mom's recipe box"
--------------------------------

Suggested beverage: Green Tea with Lemongrass (by Good Earth) either hot or iced.

ETA: Sorry folks, it's not lemon meringue. I meant to type lemon chiffon. Trust me on this, it's really yummy!

Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - Gourmet_Mom - 04-07-2012

That sounds great! I LOVE Hoisin! I think I just may have to try this one. Thanks for the consideration, Maryann!

Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - farnfam - 04-07-2012

Oooh looks yummy. I think we will give it a try. Lemon meringue? So naughty as we are having the mini cups today, but will probbly not be able to resist

Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - labradors - 04-07-2012

Classic combination that hits all the requirements of sweet, sour, salty and hot!

No cukes for me and I'm not sure if I'll make the pie, but I'm definitely in for the satay!

Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - cjs - 04-07-2012

Oh man, lemon dessert twice in one month???????????? I love it!! Sounds great, Maryann!! And thanks for posting the recipes.

Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - labradors - 04-07-2012

We need to integrate some jackfruit into one of these desserts so we can celebrate Jack Lemmon.

Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - losblanos1 - 04-07-2012

I've made this before and you are right Maryann, this is a very easy recipe to make. Can I still play?

Of course, Blane!!

Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner Menu--reviews due 4/30 - losblanos1 - 04-07-2012

Thank you, Jean. I've got it scheduled for next Tuesday.

Just don't say anything more about it until 4/30!!