Cuisine at home Forums
recipe for corned beef - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: recipe for corned beef (/showthread.php?tid=132882)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: My Experience with the recipe - losblanos1 - 03-05-2012

Labs, I don't think Old Man was referring to your recipe. I think he was referring to the Cuisine "Classic corned beef".

Re: My Experience with the recipe - Old Bay - 03-05-2012

Quote:

Labs, I don't think Old Man was referring to your recipe. I think he was referring to the Cuisine "Classic corned beef".

I agree Labs, your explanation, and recipe is the application of Occams Razor to this delimma. So be it.

Oh, Old Bay welcomes Old Man--it can be a lot of fun here!!

Re: My Experience with the recipe - labradors - 03-06-2012

I never thought he was referring to my recipe. That's why my message differentiated by saying "the recipe I posted above" to show the contrast.

Re: My Experience with the recipe - cjs - 03-06-2012

Well, hell - now I'm dubious about using C@H's method. I usually use two different versions. Charcuterie's and/or an old one that I love, Attie's version.

Nice price for a whole brisket - $4.79/lb from Safeway. I decided to get two so I can play with some pastrami (which I'm starting today) in addition to corning.

Thanks for your review, Old Man, I think, but now you have me thinking - and welcome to the forum.

Here's Attie's recipe that I love so much -

Attie remembering: “I worked in an Irish place for a while and we developed a pretty tasty and easy method for doing a kick-[censored] corned beef. When it's done, remove the meat to a rack of some sort and allow to rest and cool for a little while. The cooking liquid can then be strained, defatted and used to cook the remainder of the boiled dinner, thickened as a gravy or sauce, or just used as a jus. Good luck!”

Attie’s Corned Beef

Lay your brisket in a deep hotel pan. If the meat is too big, cut it into more manageable pieces. Then, discard the seasoning mix, if one's included. Next, throw in a couple chopped onions, a couple handfuls of garlic cloves, some whole peppercorns and a couple bay leaves. Next, in a mixing bowl, mix about half a gallon of dark beer (a good brown or stout works well) with a cup of molasses and half cup brown sugar, and pour over the meat till about 2/3 covered (supplement with water if needed). Cover tightly with foil and throw into a 350-400°F. oven. For 12 lbs. of beef, it could take upwards of 6-7 hours to cook, but start checking after about 4 hours. You want the beef at an internal temperature of 200°F. I know that may sound overcooked, but the brisket is full of tough connective tissue that won't break down until it gets to around 200°F. At that point, it'll be fork tender.

CJ’s note: Well that’s the recipe my old friend from Australia sent me. I’ve refined it a bit and this is the best corned beef I’ve ever tasted and the house smells just wonderful while it’s cooking.

Approximately a 2 1/2 lb. corned beef.
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, smashed
10-12 black peppercorns
1 Bay leaf
2 11-oz. bottles of Guinness Draught (may be a little more than needed, but we all agreed more beer can’t hurt)
1/3 cup molasses
2 T. brown sugar

I cooked mine at 375°F. After 4 hours the internal temperature had reached 210°F and was very tender. Thanks Attie, I’ve never had a better corned beef and Muenster sandwich in my life.

-----

Well, I have almost 2 weeks to decide which way to go...... I'll probably go with Charcuterie's brining and Attie's finish

Re: My Experience with the recipe - Old_Man - 03-06-2012

Thank you, next time it will be Attie’s Corned Beef.

Thank you - Old_Man - 03-06-2012

Greetings Old Bay and thank you for your welcome.

I really enjoy the Cuisine magazine - lots of knowledge and great ideas.

I prepared the 'Classic Corned Beef' for my dinner guests. I informed them about this 5 day recipe and ask for their comments (before I gave my opinion). They know me well and do not hold back. They are able to distinguish the difference between my cooking skills vs. the recipe (resulting flavors).

I look forward to future Cuisine recipes and the enjoyment of prep and results.

Re: Thank you - cjs - 03-06-2012

"I look forward to future Cuisine recipes and the enjoyment of prep and results." - and please, plan on sharing with us also prepping and results!

Re: My Experience with the recipe - Old_Man - 03-06-2012

Tea-infuser ball - you're right. I have one and will start using it!

Re: My Experience with the recipe - labradors - 03-06-2012

BTW, Jean, that recipe link I posted does say that their recipe was "adapted from Charcuterie. That's probably why it works so well. Now that I actually have the book, I'll need to compare the recipe at that link with the book to see how they "adapted" it.

Oh. One more thing: the brisket I get? $1.95/LB!

Re: My Experience with the recipe - cjs - 03-06-2012

"the brisket I get? $1.95/LB!" braggart!!!