Cuisine at home Forums
Smoked Honey Ice Cream - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Smoked Honey Ice Cream (/showthread.php?tid=126711)

Smoked Honey Ice Cream - cjs - 09-12-2011

What a delight this concoction is!!
[Image: CIMG1447.jpg]

when I removed the ice cream from the maker, I notice balls of honey that hadn't incorporated with the ice cream (darn), so I scooped them out along with a tad of the ice cream and set them aside. After the ice cream 'seeded' as my mom used to call it, and I was ready to take a picture, I stirred up the honey (ball that hadn't incorporated) and drizzled over the dish - what a nice additional flavor.

Now, don't know whether to be really careful to drizzle oh so slowly in the the mixture as it is churning or make sure I have a little of the ball to use as a drizzle.

Anyway, you smokers out there, this is really a great little dessert.

-----
Here's the recipe if Ihaven't posted it already...

Smoked Honey Ice Cream
"Notes: If you want to make a fancy, melt-in-your-mouth (literally) dessert for your friends, this is the recipe for you. The smoked honey gives this sweetener an even deeper flavor profile while also giving the ice cream a smoother mouthfeel. Ice creams using honey generally have a lower freezing temperature, which results in an ice cream free of grainy ice crystals."

* Exported from MasterCook *

Smoked Honey Ice Cream

5 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 vanilla bean -- split
1/3 cup smoked honey -- or to taste*

To prepare ice cream base, beat eggs and sugar together in a bowl; reserve. Combine milk and heavy cream in a saucepan; scrape vanilla seeds into mixture, then add whole vanilla bean. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low. Temper egg mixture with a little of the hot liquid. Slowly whisk tempered egg mixture into the saucepan.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Cool. Remove vanilla bean. Pour ice cream base into ice cream maker, following manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Add smoked honey after the mixture begins to thicken.

Notes: Yield will depend upon the amount of air a particular ice cream maker incorporates into the ice cream.

*Smoke honey over pecan chips at a low temperature for about 1-1/2 hours. (this is how I did it, with the honey in a shallow metal pan, about 200°)

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - BarbaraS - 09-12-2011

Ooooooo... Unfortunately, we don't have an ice cream maker.

After watching "It's Complicated" (with the Hubby, dontcha know, cause it is funny as h&ll), has anyone ever made or even had Lavendar ice cream?

Could be a persuasive argument to get an ice cream maker from Santa! I've got a smoker now!

Barbara

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - Mare749 - 09-12-2011

We have a local chain called Honey Hut that uses honey in their ice cream and it's wonderful. My favorite is honey pecan. I really want to try the smoked honey next time we use the smoker so I can make this, but will probably sprinkle some pecans on top.

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - luvnit - 09-12-2011

I am in awe over this. Sounds very wonderful.

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - Harborwitch - 09-12-2011

I am going to go to my room and pout. I (whine) want my smoker . . . . .

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - Harborwitch - 04-04-2012

Jean we can't seem to find pecan chips around here - do you think cherry or apple would work????

I am so excited about making this!

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - Lorraine - 04-05-2012

I have pecan chips, 3 ice cream makers and lots of honey!

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - cjs - 04-05-2012

Sure, why not!! I'd give it a try.

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - Harborwitch - 04-05-2012

Thanks. I think the cherry chips. (I had a crazy dream about you, a crazy hat, and something we were cooking with peanuts and rum and nutmeg. I could smell it it was so vivid!)

Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream - cjs - 04-05-2012

How Funny - I dreamed about cooking with Denise - she had logging boots on and stomped on a bread we were making to give it a rustic flavor..................................

What did we all eat last night to give us these dreams????