Cuisine at home Forums
Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs (/showthread.php?tid=120074)

Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - Gourmet_Mom - 04-09-2011

I've got a question. Do you strain out the veggies? Or leave them in the gravy?

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - Gourmet_Mom - 04-09-2011

Here's what I did...I scooped out the carrots and some of the onions with my spider and put that on the side with the beef. Then I strained it all into my degreaser, dumped the remaining onions into the pot, and added the good stuff. When it was time to eat, I heated the gravy and poured it over. The carrots were SO good...what was left of them. The beef just fell apart. And that GRAVY! AWESOME!

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - Harborwitch - 04-09-2011

I love short ribs! I love short ribs! Oh, I'm repeating myself

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - Old Bay - 04-09-2011

You did good girl!

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - luvnit - 04-09-2011

what is a spider?

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - Gourmet_Mom - 04-10-2011

Here's a picture of one, but mine is more of a mesh material...like a strainer material.

[Image: 1215262676_97012.jpg]

I use it a lot.

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - Gourmet_Mom - 04-10-2011

Thanks, Bill, I think you and Jane would have enjoyed the dinner. I served a Zin...the store didn't have any Cab. But it was good.

BTW, Laura, I got mine at an Asian store. It looked different from this one, and I questioned the usefulness of the device. The little old Asian lady said (through a translator) that she could not live without hers. The longer I have it, the more I use it. I now keep it out in a cup with my wooden spoons and my silicon and pastry brushes next to the stove.

Here you go Laura....this is more like it:

[Image: 12311933393829_spider.JPG]

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - cjs - 04-10-2011

I have this kind - 4 different sizes and I agree with Daphne, I use mine all the time.

[Image: 1215262676_97012.jpg]

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - DFen911 - 04-12-2011

You know Daphne I hear that too to strain them out. I did once...and regretted it! Now I pull them like you did and the veggies are so tender and flavorful. Also if you take 1/2 of them and puree them with some of the juice it makes for a wonderful thick, tasty gravy.

Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs - Gourmet_Mom - 04-13-2011

Denise, that was what I was going to do, but when I tasted one of the carrots, I thought....HECK NO! Anyway, I can't imagine that gravy getting any better...LOL!

I'm looking forward to a repeat of night, and then using the leftover gravy in another dish. Hopefully, William has some venison stored away somewhere.