Cuisine at home Forums
Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears (/showthread.php?tid=117559)

Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - cjs - 02-20-2011

This was so ridiculously easy, fast and delicious, I could not believe it. I fixed kind of a salisbury steak thingee (cube steak, demi-glace with a can of mushrooms) served over Giada's raviolis. Needed something more.

[Image: SauteedPears.jpg]

(I wrote it up 'cause it's going in one of the books as a side)
Sautéed Pears

Easy, easy and so fast! Tastes delicious and great with beef, what more could you ask for?

2 Pears
2 T. unsalted butter
Pinch of nutmeg or grated fresh nutmeg

Melt the butter in an 8- to 10-inch non-nonstick skillet over medium heat. While the butter is heating, slice the pear, unpeeled and don’t worry about the seeds, in slices, each about 3/8” wide. You should get 6 out of each pear.

When the butter is hot lay half the pear slices in one layer in the skillet and grind or sprinkle a very light coating of nutmeg over each slice. Cook on the first side until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes, turn them over and brown the other side. Remove the cooked pears to a heated plate and keep warm, while cooking the remaining pear slices.
------
It was delicious with the beef and by itself. What a fast tasty dinner this was. If you use fresh nutmeg, it will be much better, which I'm always using now.

Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - Lorraine - 02-21-2011

Love them, Jean! I have served them with pork and duck. I find they take well to seasoning, cardamom is our favourite, and also are nice grilled. Thanks for the reminder.

Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - Harborwitch - 02-21-2011

Now I have the idea for a dinner. Thank you both! We found a market that sells duck breast and those pears would be amazing - cardamom is my favorite! I think this will make a nice "special" dinner for next month's splurge!

Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - Trixxee - 02-21-2011

These are a perfect match with pork tenderloin with a vanilla cider cream sauce.

Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - cjs - 02-21-2011

darn, the first spice I reached for was cardamom, but didn't think of it soon enough and didn't have time to smash the pods. Will do again - I have another pear! Whoever does them, please post a picture - I'll need a good one for the book...... please.

Pork and duck - yes, I was just so surprised at how well they went with beef.

Trixee is that recipe here somewhere - it sound divine and I must have missed it The pears would be awfully good with that!

Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - Trixxee - 02-21-2011

Here you go, HW! I would leave out the broth (or use much less). I did the first time and it was perfect, this last time I used it and the sauce was a little too thin.

http://foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com/2009/11/vanilla-cider-pork-with-pears-i-should.html

Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - Lorraine - 02-21-2011

I never thought of serving it with beef, either, although years ago I made a pear chutney and used it on burgers.

Re: Another DUH Moment - Sautee Pears - cjs - 02-21-2011

"pear chutney and used it on burgers." HELLO??????

Thank you so much! Looks sooooo good!