Cuisine at home Forums
CRS or just crazy? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: CRS or just crazy? (/showthread.php?tid=116907)

CRS or just crazy? - chef_Tab - 02-09-2011

There is no way I had the brain this week. Since I started working, I have been fairly good about planning the week’s meals and shopping for groceries on the weekend. This week I decided to make the lacquered ribs from the slow cooker book. As I was assembling the sauce, I thought ¼ cup sriracha sauce sounded a bit excessive, but I was too tired to give it much thought and followed the recipe as written. When we arrived home last night, the aroma was wonderful. I made jasmine rice on the side and gave myself a few ribs and sauce on the rice. The ribs were good, but quite hot, and I could barely eat my rice. The heat in the sauce was so powerful, I could hardly taste anything. Wally, of course loved the whole meal just as I made it. But this is a man who puts habanero flakes on practically everything.

I decided to write a review of the dinner and then did a search to make sure it had not already been reviewed, and what came up? I am almost too embarrassed to go on……….this was MY birthday review dinner last year! And the ridiculous thing is I wrote the exact same comments I had expressed this time. How crazy am I that I did not even remember this until I read the review from a year ago. Notes are going into the cookbook tonight.

Another meal planned for this week is the coconut chicken curry from the same book. I guess I will check if I already made that one too.

Re: CRS or just crazy? - foodfiend - 02-09-2011

Theresa, I feel your pain. Really. I can see myself doing the same, exact thing (except that some of the time I do manage to write prep/ review notes in the magazine). Not to worry, I'm betting that you will get at least a few more responses similar to mine.

Re: CRS or just crazy? - Harborwitch - 02-09-2011

I keep thinking I should make notes in my cookbooks - I think Jean does, but my Dad always said that making notes in books was akin to blasphemy and murder on the sin list!!!

I think we need to make notes, how wonderful in a cookbook to pass that on to future cooks in our families.

Now if I get the brain again anytime soon I'll start doing that!

Re: CRS or just crazy? - Gourmet_Mom - 02-09-2011

Been there, done that! I am so bad about not making notes as often as I should. I had gotten better about copy/pasting my review from here to MC, but there's something wrong with my program now. Every time I try to do more than enter the recipe, the program shuts down. I have got to find that disk and reload the program...it's quite annoying.

But you've got the right idea, Theresa. Check for reviews on here FIRST.

Re: CRS or just crazy? - cjs - 02-10-2011

"my Dad always said that making notes in books was akin to blasphemy and murder on the sin list!!!" - Oh my, what a shame!! My recipe books are like diaries, it's so fun to run across a recipe I made in 1995 and read that we loved it and we were building bookshelves or remodeling something that day. You're right, Sharon, I write in every cookbook - even Keller's Bouchons!!!!

Theresa, all I can say is, "Welcome to my world!!"

Re: CRS or just crazy? - Gourmet_Mom - 02-10-2011

And here it is February, and I haven't started my dinner diary....DANG IT! I start tonight.

Re: CRS or just crazy? - HomeCulinarian - 02-10-2011

Geez, 1/4 cup of sriracha sauce would do me in!

I also write in my cookbooks and I keep a food diary of sorts. When we menu plan for the week I will write our selections in a journal - I include the book/place the recipe came from too. Then I can look back to find recipes I want to remake when I can't remember which book to go to.

Re: CRS or just crazy? - Harborwitch - 02-10-2011

I think he's going to be shaking in his "jar", but I think I'll follow your lead Jean.