Cuisine at home Forums
Need a cake recipe please - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Need a cake recipe please (/showthread.php?tid=115129)

Need a cake recipe please - Mare749 - 01-11-2011

A friend asked me for a from scratch cake recipe for a yellow cake. She needs to make a very large cake for a christening at the end of the month and says she hasn't had good luck with making yellow cakes because they always turn out dry. I'm no help as I always use box mixes. Does anyone make a yellow cake from scratch?

Re: Need a cake recipe please - Gourmet_Mom - 01-11-2011

Geez, Maryann. I'm not a cake person. I don't do sweet much AT ALL!

My mother has Mrs. Hook's 10 layer cake recipe...but I don't think that's going to get it.

BUT I DO have Linda's Bridal cake recipe!

* Exported from MasterCook *

BRIDAL BUTTER CAKE

Recipe By :CakeDoctor AKA Linda
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Goods

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 large egg yolks
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour -- sifted
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder -- plus 1 teaspoon
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1-1/2 sticks) cut into cubes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare two 9-inch x 1 1/2 inch round cake pans with non-stick spray or generously grease and flour pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper, then either spray again with non-stick spray or grease. Set pans aside.

In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup milk, and the vanilla.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine all the dry ingredients – the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt -- and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds, just until blended.

Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup of milk.

Mix on low speed just until the dry ingredients are moistened.

Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for about two minutes. This will aerate and develop the cake's structure. Scrape down the sides of the bowl several times during mixing.

Gradually add the egg mixture, in 3 additions, beating about 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the egg.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, smoothing the surface with an offset spatula. Your pans will be about half full.

Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.

When done, remove the cakes from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool, in their pans, for about 10 minutes.

Invert the cakes onto a greased rack. To prevent splitting, reinvert cakes so that tops are right side up.

Cool the cakes completely before frosting.

Source:
"Cooking.com"
S(Internet Address):
"http://forums.cooking.com/showthread.php?t=4002"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4103 Calories; 180g Fat (39.2% calories from fat); 53g Protein; 574g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1681mg Cholesterol; 3252mg Sodium. Exchanges: 17 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 33 1/2 Fat; 20 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Linda: "This recipe is prepared using the 'one bowl' method. What this means is all the dry ingredients are first put into the mixing bowl, then room temperature butter and milk are added, then mixed together. Then the room temperature eggs and vanilla are added and all is beaten together. The reason for adding the liquids after the butter and flour have been mixed together is because you do not want to develop the gluten in the flour, which will make a “tough” cake. Preparing a cake this way will make you a cake that will literally melt in your mouth, it is very moist, dense, and has a velvety texture. You will not have quite the volume with this cake due to the method of making it, but it is well worth sacrificing a tad of volume and have a fantastic taste and texture. The most important thing to remember and do with making this cake is to make sure your ingredients are at room temperature. Also, make sure you follow the directions exactly, when mixing this cake.

Also, this particular cake isn't really "formulated" for a bundt pan. If you are looking to make a "one pan" cake, you can use a 10 inch round. If you have a 10 inch round springform you can use that, no need to go out and purchase a 10 inch pan just for this. You can also use a 10 inch square pan. They do sell 10 inch pans that have a decoration of some sort on the bottom of the pan so when you turn the cake out, you will see the decoration. You could also use one of those. There is enough batter to make this cake in this pan size. Don't fret if it looks like there is too much batter in the pan. When it is done baking and out of the oven, it will be "perfectly even" across the top, no "bump" in the middle as can happen with other cakes made in the two 8 or 9 inch rounds. "

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Re: Need a cake recipe please - cjs - 01-11-2011

Oh Maryann, I have a cake book at home, The Cake Doctor, I think is the name of it and it has the most wonderful ideas for moist, flavorfull cakes starting out with mixes as the base and she really does doctor them up. I used it a lot when I was catering they were so good.

Re: Need a cake recipe please - Mare749 - 01-11-2011

Thank you both! Daphne, the cake recipe sounds nice and rich, so how could it not be moist! I'll copy that one. And Jean posted the same book that that recipe came from. So, I will recommend the book to my friend as well.

Re: Need a cake recipe please - cjs - 01-11-2011

OOooops, didn't even notice the source of what Daphne posted. Must be good then!

Re: Need a cake recipe please - pjcooks - 01-12-2011

Maybe a little late, I'm catching up here, but this one from CI always works for me.

Makes two 9-inch cake layers. Published March 1, 2008. From Cook's Illustrated.

Nonstick cooking spray can be used for greasing the pans (proceed with flouring as directed). Bring all ingredients to room temperature before beginning. Frost the cake with our Foolproof Chocolate Frosting (see related recipe) or your favorite topping.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups cake flour , plus extra for dusting pans
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 3/4 cups sugar (12 1/4 ounces)
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
1 cup buttermilk , room temperature
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks , room temperature
3 large egg whites , room temperature
Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch-wide by 2-inch-high round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. Grease paper rounds, dust pans with flour, and knock out excess. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 1/2 cups sugar together in large bowl. In 4-cup liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and yolks.

2. In clean bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium-high speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. With machine running, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; continue to beat until stiff peaks just form, 30 to 60 seconds (whites should hold peak but mixture should appear moist). Transfer to bowl and set aside.

3. Add flour mixture to now-empty mixing bowl fitted with whisk attachment. With mixer running at low speed, gradually pour in butter mixture and mix until almost incorporated (a few streaks of dry flour will remain), about 15 seconds. Stop mixer and scrape whisk and sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium-low speed and beat until smooth and fully incorporated, 10 to 15 seconds.

4. Using rubber spatula, stir 1/3 of whites into batter to lighten, then add remaining whites and gently fold into batter until no white streaks remain. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans. Lightly tap pans against counter 2 or 3 times to dislodge any large air bubbles.

5. Bake until cake layers begin to pull away from sides of pans and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen cakes from sides of pans with small knife, then invert onto greased wire rack and peel off parchment. Invert cakes again and cool completely on rack, about 1 1/2 hours.

Hope this helps!

PJ

Re: Need a cake recipe please - Mare749 - 01-12-2011

Thank you Patti-Jo! I'll pass this recipe along as well! They both sound great to me. Maybe I should try making cakes from scratch. It's just so easy to use a box mix and mine always turn out so nice and moist. This is making me curious though.