Cuisine at home Forums
Talk to me about crab cakes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Talk to me about crab cakes (/showthread.php?tid=114175)

Talk to me about crab cakes - lxxf - 12-29-2010

Hi, all. Happy New Year to you. I know I have been derelict in my posting duties. It's not because I don't love you all, I'm having some minor health issues, which have clouded my usually sunny personality, causing me to hibernate.

I had a hankering for crab cakes and downloaded a recipe which looked interesting, and proved to be very tasty, but the consistency was off. I was able to buy some beautiful lump crab meat that needed little cleaning of cartilage and trying to keep all those beautiful lumps together meant a lack of blending of the binders. As you might imagine, they fell apart (but they sure were good).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sally

Re: Talk to me about crab cakes - Gourmet_Mom - 12-29-2010

I'm still in search of the perfect recipe. The closest I've come is Jean's recipe. I think the hard boiled egg is one thing that makes this one work. That and chilling them are essential. (Time to make these again, soon!) It's posted elsewhere on here, so I don't think she would mind if I posted it here:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dungeness Crab Cakes - Windsor '06 Fundraiser Recipe

Recipe By :Jean
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 pound crab meat -- preferably Dungeness
1/4 pound butter -- melted and cooled just a little
chopped parsley
chopped chives
1 hard-cooked egg -- finely chopped
salt -- black pepper
1/2 cup panko
1/2 cup flour
1 eggs -- beaten with a little water
3/4 cup panko -- for breading
Peanut or canola oil -- as needed for frying
Papaya-Basil Sauce -- Optional

Put the crabmeat in a large bowl and add the butter, parsley, chives, eggs, salt & pepper.

Mix together till combined. Add just enough panko make a coherent mixture.

Divide the mixture into patties - for regular service make into 2 3/4" wide by 1/2" thick.
Chill the patties covered for 30 min

When ready to fry cakes: have three shallow containers ready
one - flour
one - egg wash
one - panko

Dredge the patties on all sides in the flour, then dip in egg wash, drop in panko and coat evenly. Shake off excess.

Fill pot with at least 2" of oil and heat to 350 F.
Add as many cakes as will comfortably fit and fry, turning a few times with a slotted spoon, till golden brown on all sides and hot thru, about 6 min. cooking time.

Remove cakes and continue with the rest. Drain cooked cakes on paper towels an keep warm till service.

Source:
"Recipe By :a Chef's Journey recipe for the 2006 Windsor Fund Raiser"

NOTES : *I mixed 1/2 panko and 1/2 chopped, roasted pecans for the breading.

Alternative: brown the crab cakes quickly, set aside (chilled), then finish off in a 375 F. oven.

For the Fundraiser dinner I made miniature cakes for my Amuse-Bouche

Re: Talk to me about crab cakes - foodfiend - 12-29-2010

Sally, I hope that you continue to recover and are soon back on the boards.

Thanks for posting the recipe, Daphne. My Dad is nuts about the perfect crab cake and I've never been able to satisfy him. To be honest, I should just give up but if I ever get the urge to attempt the impossible again, I will remember this recipe.

Re: Talk to me about crab cakes - Mare749 - 12-29-2010

So sorry you haven't been feeling well, Sally. Thoughts and prayers are being sent to you for a healthier new year. I hope you will be able to join us more often as well.

Thanks for reminding me about the crab cake recipe, Daphne. I have that one and keep meaning to make it. My dad just loves crab cakes, but is always saying that you just can't find one anywhere that compares to a good Maryland crab cake like he got back in the day. Sure wish I knew how they made them then. There are just so many different recipes that it's hard to choose!

Re: Talk to me about crab cakes - Gourmet_Mom - 12-29-2010

I've tried quite a few, Maryann, and this one is the best so far. Usually there is just too much filler, or they fall apart. But this one holds together and is very "crabby"! I really wish I kept better notes. I found one a long time ago that had a great flavor, but it fell apart. I'm wondering if the chilling step in Jean's wouldn't have made that one work. I remember it had very few ingredients....mostly crab, of course.

Re: Talk to me about crab cakes - cjs - 12-30-2010

Thanks, Daphne for posting this one - I'm like you, I just keep on making different ones but I usually come back to this one. Sally, I served these with a "Huckleberry Ketchup" that was really good. Probably not on this laptop, but I'll do a search and see if I've posted it here.

Feel better soon and start the New Year out right!! So you can join us all again. Take care.

-----

I did a little search and found so many things to use with the Huckleberry Ketchup - sorry, I know this thread is about crab cakes, but what do you do with the ketchup you use with them after the cakes are all gone?????????????????

Here's the recipe and a few notes on using it with other goodies - probably more than you'd ever want to know (but Roy's not up yet and I'm still on line..... )

Huckleberry Ketchup Notes:
Today is the day. Tested my amuse-bouche on the plates our host chef (Florian) wants me to use and it's going to be great!! I'm pleased with each component. And I will definitely post the Huckleberry Ketchup recipe for all of you. We tasted it in the kitchen yesterday and we all decided it would/will be wonderful on any wild fowl or wild game of any sort. It will definitely hold it's own with all kinds of flavors. (It's great on waffles, too!)

HUCKLEBERRY KETCHUP

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey recipe for the 2006 Windsor Fund Raiser Dinner

32 ounces frozen (or fresh) huckleberries or blackberries or if necessary -- blueberries
2 T. shallots -- sliced
2 cups Tawny port
4 T. currant jelly
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/4 cups Huckleberry Jam

In a large sauepan, combine all the ingredients except the Huckleberry Jam.
Mix well, bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours.

Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
Puree in a food processor until smooth.

At this point for a smooth 'ketchup' push through a sieve or strainer. (chinois is too fine)
Allow to chill overnight.

Add just enough Huckleberry Jam for a 'ketchup' consistency.
(about 2:1 - puree to jam is a good amount)

NOTES : makes approx. 2 1/2 cups
--------
Since Huckleberries are so perishable, it may be difficult to purchase them. Using Blackberries is a good substitute and add Huckleberry Jam to finish off - they add a tartness that is so good. Here is a website that offers Huckleberry Jam.

http://www.oregonjam.com/

Lorraine made Tourtiere Turnovers and this was our discussion –

Pastry

4 cups flour
1 lb butter, chilled and cubed
1 cup sour cream

Cut cubed butter into flour until it resembles coarse meal. ( Or whatever the exprssion is). Add in sour cream. Stir with fork until combined. If it doesn't form a ball, that's fine. Place in ziplock bag and mush together. Place in fridge for at least one hour. Dough can also be frozen at this point for later use.

Turnover Filling

1 lb ground pork.
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
I medium to large onion, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each, thyme, sage, dry mustard
pinch of ground cloves
few gratings of nutmeg
1 medium potato, cooked and mashed

Combine all in pot except potato. Simmer, uncovered 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated and meat is cooked. Remove from heat. Stir in potato. Chill.

At this point, check for seasonings. Last Saturday, I added minced fresh thyme and fresh sage at this point. You want it to be tasty, nothing worse than bland turnovers.

Roll out dough on floured surface. Cut out 3 inch circles. Add 2 tsp filling. Brush edges of dough with water, fold in half and seal. Crimp edges with fork. Place on ungreased sheet. Brush tops with eggwash. Cook at 375F for 15-20 minutes.

A few notes:
After years of making them, I've learned a few things. a white wine makes a small turnover that is great for a more upscale party. a red wine glass gives a 2-3 bite turnover. A martini glass makes a good size if they are part of a meal.

These freeze very well. Thaw and heat at 350F for about 10 minutes until hot.

If you can get fresh herbs, I strongly recommend using them aling with the dried ones.

If your pork is fatty, just drain off the fat before adding the potato, but you do want some moisture.

If you over fill them, they will explode. "smirk"

The dough is great, you can roll the scraps, and re-roll them, and re-re-roll them. "smile"

--------
Lorraine: I made it yesterday, to go with the duck. I had to use a mixture of blackberries ( my neighbour's are coming through thte fench ) and blueberries, and I scaled it down a bit. But, yawza!!! It was great! today I'm working with fillo, and made some triangles with the leftover duck and sauce.

Me: (serving with Huckleberry ketchup) - Just noticed this - that's hilarious, Lorraine!!! Not only do I have the ingredients, I have the glasses also!!!

"After years of making them, I've learned a few things. a white wine makes a small turnover that is great for a more upscale party. a red wine glass gives a 2-3 bite turnover. A martini glass makes a good size if they are part of a meal.'

Re: Talk to me about crab cakes - lxxf - 12-30-2010

Thanks, all. Here's the one I tried:

1-1/2 cups chicken stock
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup dry sherry
2 celery ribs, trimmed and minced
1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
1/4 bunch parsley, trimmed and chopped
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup toasted fresh bread crumbs
1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat, picked over
flour
1/4 extra virgin olive oil

Combine stock cream and sherry in a saucepan and simmer over medium high heat until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 40 minutes. Set aside to cool

Combine celery, onions, parsley and egg yolks, bread crumbs and cooled cream mixture in a large bowl. Fold in crab, then shape into 8 crab cakes about 3 inches in diameter. Arrange on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350. Dredge crab cakes in flour and shake off excess. Heat oil in a large skilled over medium high heat. Working in batches, fry crab cakes, turning once, until browned, about 1-1/2 minutes per side. Transfer with a slotted spatula to a baking sheet. Bake until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.

Comments: The taste was outstanding. During the cream/stock/sherry reduction, I was a bit inattentive and the thing separated on me. Deciding I wasn't going to waste all those ingredients not to mention time, I stirred it back together when I added the other ingredients. I'm thinking I might need some egg white to help bind it together and also maybe shred 1/3-1/2 of those beautiful lumps of crab meat. I served it with a basic remoulade sauce (mayo, chopped hard boiled egg, chopped dill pickle, paprika).

Sally

Re: Talk to me about crab cakes - BarbaraS - 12-30-2010

If you truly want some awesome crab cakes, go to QVC and look up Bobby Chez crab cakes. I got turned onto these beauties and then got several family members addicted to them. I literally pulled one apart to see how it was being held together, and couldn't find the filler - just lump crab meat.

I just dropped off a dozen to Mom, Sis, and BIL for their stay.

Barbara

Re: Talk to me about crab cakes - Gourmet_Mom - 12-30-2010

Jean, I've been wanting Lorraine's Tourtiere Turnovers recipe...Thanks!