Cuisine at home Forums
Making Vanilla Extract - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Making Vanilla Extract (/showthread.php?tid=113401)

Making Vanilla Extract - BarbaraS - 12-17-2010

Okay all, Here's a Q -

I found the cutest bottle with a ceramic stopper at Kitchen Kapers and it holds about 2 cups. So I went out and got some pretty expensive bourbon as recommended by the good peeps on this board. Question is, how many beans would you soak in 2 cups? I finally opened the test tube the beans came in and man are they fragrant!! I'm still smelling them on my hands after doing the dishes!

I put in two beans, should I go for three?

TIA,

Barbara

Re: Making Vanilla Extract - Gourmet_Mom - 12-17-2010

Barbara, I put three in a four cup jar. That reminds me, I'll need to cap it off after all this Christmas baking. I also put one in a jar of sugar that I reserve for baking. That will need to be refilled also.

Re: Making Vanilla Extract - BarbaraS - 12-17-2010

Daphne,

So I should be good to go with 2 in a 2-cupper.

Seriously though, check out the cute little stopper bottles at Kitchen Kapers.

Hmmmm... vanilla sugar. How much suger per bean?

Barbara

I've got about 6 cups with one bean, but I'm sure, given time, one bean could probably "flavor" a 5 pound bag. Mine is PLENTY strong! It's just that I don't bake much, so keeping four cups in a jar and capping it off when I use some is plenty. I'll probably have to add some regular sugar in with my "flavored" sugar, but it's so strong, I'm confident it will be good.

Re: Making Vanilla Extract - BarbaraS - 12-17-2010

Kewl!! Thanks!!

Barbara

Re: Making Vanilla Extract - pjcooks - 12-17-2010

I used six or seven beans per fifth. Beautiful stuff....

PJ

I wonder what the difference was? How long did you have to wait until you used the vanilla extract? I couldn't use mine for several months. Plus, I was using vodka. Would that make a difference?

Re: Making Vanilla Extract - pjcooks - 12-17-2010

I used vodka and was going to wait 2 months. Then I forgot to remove the beans as I was using up my old stock, so it was probably about three.

Like I said, good stuff.

PJ

Okay, when I was using mine while ago, I had a DUH moment. You were using six in a FIFTH...not four cups...DUH! So pretty equal to mine.