Cuisine at home Forums
Do You All Eat Lunch?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Do You All Eat Lunch?? (/showthread.php?tid=105678)

Do You All Eat Lunch?? - cjs - 08-08-2010

Do you all eat lunch?? And, if you do, what do you eat besides leftovers from previous night's dinner?? Do you 'make' a lunch?

For years we've only eaten twice a day and I think that's one of our problems, we're starved by dinner!

Whenever I've gone on a program of eating lunch, I really can tell a difference in my energy levels. No peaks and valleys.

So, I've grabbed a few ideas for having lunches ready for the next few weeks.

Smoothies
French Market Soup
Couscous salad
of course leftovers from healthier dinners

What do you all do for lunch?

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - Old Bay - 08-08-2010

We don't eat breakfast. During the week we have lunch, sometimes a big one and a lighter dinner (protein and vegies--little or no starch). On weekends we have brunch--today we are having some of our red bell pepper soup out of the freezer and gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. Tonight --grilled flank steak, corn on the cob, brussels sprouts (leftovers) and pommes Anna with a nice red wine. We splurge on weekends.

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - chef_Tab - 08-08-2010

Hubby normally skips lunch, so I don't plan or make anything special unless there is company to feed. I must eat lunch! Normally I do eat some leftovers, but when there aren't any, I will make a greek type salad with tuna, or a sandwich with sprouts. If I am in a real pinch, cheese and crackers. I have also made salsa or hummus to have with corn chips or pita. I don't need much, but tend to get cranky if I don't eat.

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - Trixxee - 08-08-2010

I eat lunch every day (and breakfast, and dinner).Smile My husband usually will take any leftovers so I just do with what's here.

Boar's head lower sodium ham & swiss sandwich.
Low fat cheese and chicken quesadilla.
Broiled muenster cheese & tomato open faced sandwich.
Egg salad on crackers.
Tuna salad on an english muffin.
Sauteed tilapia (love the thicker loins from Costco) & a sliced tomato.
Cereal.
Cream of Wheat.
Muscle Milk "light" protein shake.
BLT or BLTA's.

And I usually have some type of melon or a peach or nectarine and sparkling water too.

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - esgunn - 08-08-2010

I usually have baked oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. For lunch I try and have about 1/3 of a grilled chicken breast. Usually on a sandwich thin with dijon and 1/4 of an avacado. That is my current favorite. Sometimes leftovers. If I am making grilled chicken breasts I will also do few more than I need for lunches. If I make myself a salmon patty (from costco frozen) I will also do a few extra to have for lunches.

Some days I skip breakfast, but then there is no way I can skip lunch.

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - Mare749 - 08-08-2010

Breakfast is very light for me, so I always eat lunch. Like Theresa mentioned, I get cranky when I'm hungry. Some things that I like are:

Turkey or chicken on a sandwich thin with a small salad.

Turkey or chicken on a pita with the salad inside.

Pita filled with oven roasted or grilled vegetables left over from night before. (I always make extra) Add a small amount of cheese or hummus.

Tuna salad on one slice of whole wheat with veg sticks.

Taco salad minus the taco. I use romaine, peppers, onions, tomato, 2 T. of guac, 1 T. sour cream, 2 big spoonfulls of salsa.

Salad with leftover chicken and Asian type dressing.

Veggie omelet with l/o grilled veggies and a sprinkle of cheese.

1 whole wheat toast with melted cheese and tomato soup.

Veggie burger on whole wheat bun or sandwich thin.

Salmon burger on whole wheat bun or sandwich thin.

Tilapia filets (I keep these in the freezer) pan-fried in 1 tsp. butter, on sandwich thin.

Rice and bean salad with carrot sticks

Any kind of soup and small side salad.

Here's a snack idea that's better than it sounds. Take a half cup of 1% cottage cheese and top with 1/4 favorite salsa. Low cal and filling.

Last, but not least, I pack Ron's lunch every day so that he doesn't have to resort to fast food. I give him a bigger version of what I have, usually on a whole wheat bun or homemade bread, and some type of packable fruit like a banana, grapes, cherries etc.

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - Roxanne 21 - 08-08-2010

We are not breakfast people but lunch is a MUST!! My clock tells me (always at noon or so) that I need to eat, CRANKY??? TWITCHY??? YUPP!!!! I also notice that I am weak and sort of dizzy so the calories are a must. Our usual is a sandwich of some type or a remake of leftovers(if there are any!!!)

Interesting ideas from you guys on your lunch menus---I will keep those in mind for future reference.

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - cjs - 08-08-2010

What a great bunch of ideas - I'm so glad I started this thread. You guys are all life savers. I'm thinking I like Bill's idea the best, because I find I dislike cooking at night more and more. I'd love to go back to the biggest meal at lunchtime. And, being retired, why the heck not. I think I'll try to give this a go for a couple of weeks.
(Plus I love the weekend being free.....)

Trixxee, good ideas for us - what's the 'A' in BLT or BLTA's. (avocado?)

"I have also made salsa or hummus to have with corn chips or pita." - this sounds good.

I do the same with salmon patties and also cook extra chicken. Like the mustard and chix on a sandwich thin.

"Taco salad minus the taco. I use romaine, peppers, onions, tomato, 2 T. of guac, 1 T. sour cream, 2 big spoonfulls of salsa." love this idea. And, I have some veggie burger recipes I've been wanting to play with....

"CRANKY??? TWITCHY??? YUPP!!!! I also notice that I am weak and sort of dizzy...." exactly, Roxanne, that's why I'm so enthralled with 3 smaller meals a day, my energy level seems so much more level all day. no highs or lows.

I hope more come on with lots of ideas. Thanks so far.

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - Mare749 - 08-08-2010

Oh, how could I forget my all-time summer favorite! Tomato sandwich with Miracle Whip!

One more. When I have tortillas, I like to take Lite Veggie Cream cheese and spread about 2 T. of that on, then layer with salad and tomatoes and roll-up. Tons of variations for this theme.

Re: Do You All Eat Lunch?? - luvnit - 08-08-2010

I have read anyone's response so pardon me if I am just repeating what others have said. I always eat lunch. I am starving by lunchtime and my kids have to eat anyway. If I am not eating leftovers, my first choice is a sandwich with lots of veggies and dill cream cheese. And sometimes all that is necessary is 1/2 sandwich. Soup is another good choice, but more for winter.