Cuisine at home Forums
Meat Lover Pizza Burgers with Provolone - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Meat Lover Pizza Burgers with Provolone (/showthread.php?tid=103624)

Meat Lover Pizza Burgers with Provolone - Gourmet_Mom - 07-08-2010

This is from the last Grilling book. The one with the Five Spice Glazed Chicken on the cover.

I made this recipe exactly as written, except I put my buns on a raised rack over the back of the grill about 5 minutes before the burgers were to come off. I think we may have cooked them more like 7 minutes per side, instead of 4. Oh, and I used some leftover Jean's Marinara from the pizza Saturday night...not store bought.

These were GREAT! William said he thought they'd be good fixed like a regular burger...lettuce, tomato, ketchup and mayo, too. But I disagree. The marinara was the perfect accompaniment. WHEN we do them again, I'll be serving MINE exactly the same. The only thing I would do different would be to have thicker slices of provolone or use two slices. We used the pre-sliced from the store deli. Oh, and I will probably make some fresh foccacia instead of the fresh deli kaiser rolls....if weather permits...meaning COOLER! (I miss my bread making!) This is a keeper. Fast, Easy, and SUPER Tasty!

I served this with a side of Caesar salad. I'd give this meal a 9+.

Re: Meat Lover Pizza Burgers with Provolone - Harborwitch - 07-08-2010

Sounds really good. Wonder how blitz bread would do on the grill?????

Re: Meat Lover Pizza Burgers with Provolone - Gourmet_Mom - 07-08-2010

You know, I STILL haven't made that bread! POOH! And now it's too hot in the kitchen! Maybe we'll have a couple of cool days and I'll bake bread furiously. (Yea, right...when pigs fly.)

If not, somebody promise to bring this up in late September...maybe?

Re: Meat Lover Pizza Burgers with Provolone - Mare749 - 07-08-2010

Sounds good Daphne. Thanks for the review. You know, it only takes a few minutes to mix up 18 hour bread dough. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm willing to bet that it could be put in a dutch oven on the grill, or even a cast iron skillet, since you close the lid on the grill anyway. I'll try it one day and let you know how it turns out.

My problem with the 18 hour bread is having a pan of the right size. I tried it in the one dutch oven I have, but it was WAY too big. I guess I could double or triple the recipe, though. Hmmmm? I'll have to think about it.

My problem is not the bread, it's the baking part. I think I need to revisit the grill again. I think I tried it last year, but I'll have to check...dang CRS! But I keep getting the feeling it didn't work well. But then, I'm also thinking I was trying a new recipe and not a tried and true, like my foccacia, French bread, Cis's Crusty Country or the Popcorn Bread. Now that I think about it, I think it was Cis's Italian and I realized later I did it wrong. I think I'll revisit it!

Thanks for the nudge!

Re: Meat Lover Pizza Burgers with Provolone - Harborwitch - 07-08-2010

If you have a 3 burner grill light all 3. Get it up to about 400 or 425 and turn the middle burner off - put your bread pan in and bake as usual. I know we've done popcorn and a few others - including the 18 hour. Haven't tried the blitz bread though.

I have a two burner...alas! But I have more practice getting a certain temp working the burners high, low, and off...to hold those temps. I've even reduced the temp to smoke by having one lit and the lid propped. True a lot of smoke escaped, but I had some pretty big pieces of wood in there, and I'm sure there was plenty of smoke still circulating around the meat. So surely I can do this. I think I'll try Cis's Crusty Country this weekend.

Again, thanks for the nudge.

Re: Meat Lover Pizza Burgers with Provolone - cjs - 07-09-2010

Wow, what's not to love about this burger!! I don't think I've done anything from this book, might have to be my August book choice.....