Cuisine at home Forums
Helpful Tip, Maybe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Helpful Tip, Maybe (/showthread.php?tid=102768)

Helpful Tip, Maybe - cjs - 06-23-2010

I get so tired of trying to estimate how many/what size cloves of garlic makes up a tablespoon - so, did you know:

1 T. minced garlic = .4 oz. now, doesn't that make our life easier???

Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe - labradors - 06-23-2010

With my taste for garlic, my usual conversion rule is "1 clove of garlic in a recipe = 1 LARGE clove of garlic actually used (or two small cloves)."

Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe - chef_Tab - 06-23-2010

It will make life easier when I get my scale out of storage. For now I err on the side of doubling the garlic. haha

Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe - cjs - 06-23-2010

Labs writing recipes for cookbooks, I want to be as precise as possible for beginning cooks - of course, for ourselves I eyeball and add more.

Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe - farnfam - 06-23-2010

Eyeball and add more, yup that works for me

Is that what you would tell your daughters or sons just starting out????? Am I being too picky with the recipes?

Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe - Gourmet_Mom - 06-23-2010

I prefer tablespoons to cloves, for the simple reason of varying sizes of cloves. But even at that, I usually double it, too. As far as weighing it out, there's a hole in your idea of offering the weight instead of cloves or tablespoons. The average cook, just starting out, isn't going to have a scale.

O.k. forget this idea - it wouldn't have been in place of it would have been info in addition.

Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe - Gourmet_Mom - 06-23-2010

If you're including it as additional info, I think it makes sense. Then you have the option. Personally, when I have minced and measured garlic, I would have used the scale over a measuring spoon....lots easier.

Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe - labradors - 06-23-2010

Quote:

Am I being too picky with the recipes?

Not for writing recipes. Not at all. Written recipes SHOULD be precise.

Besides, you never said your tip was intended for use in writing recipes - only that it was a helpful hint. I think it's a very handy tip for those who like to buy jars of minced garlic (or who mince up a bunch ahead of time, themselves) and wouldn't, otherwise, have cloves to count.