Cuisine at home Forums
Smoking Tri Tip - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Smoking Tri Tip (/showthread.php?tid=101784)

Smoking Tri Tip - DFen911 - 06-06-2010

Ok I cannot find any timings for a tri tip roast in a smoker. I keep finding them for the grill or indirect heat. They all say about 2-3 hours. I have 2 of these beauties that I have a nice rub on, and they weigh about 3lbs each.

But knowing how the pork was done at 3 hours but needed the additional 7 hours for yumness.

Experts weigh in

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - cjs - 06-06-2010

Denise, I would treat the tri-tip the same as a brisket -

I don't do tri-tip, but for a brisket I smoked for 10 hours to a temp of 160-165F. I spritz with 1/2 & 1/2 (water & apple juice) every time I change the smoker chip pan.

I remove from the smoker, lay in an oven-proof shallow pan and pour BBQ sauce (I love Carolina type) over and refrigerate overnight.

I then bake at 225F. for 5 to 6 hours to a temp of 180-185F.

Because I thik tri-tip is a tough cut, this is how I would do mine. Maybe someone will have other ideas for you. Good luck.

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - DFen911 - 06-06-2010

Yeah I was wondering if I should put it on now. Cause I was thinking the first hour it's not "cooking" it's just coming up to temperature.

I just wondered because they are so small not like the 7.5 lb pork I did.

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - Harborwitch - 06-06-2010

I think Jean is right - for smoking I'd cook it like a brisket. But, I like my tri-tip cooked like a steak, so that a good veterinarian could bring it back to life, sliced thin alongside a salad with blue cheese.

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - Gourmet_Mom - 06-06-2010

"But, I like my tri-tip cooked like a steak, so that a good veterinarian could bring it back to life, sliced thin alongside a salad with blue cheese." That is too funny and sooo true!

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - luvnit - 06-06-2010

Okay, I thought this thread was about something totally different! Funny how your eyes read things sometimes.

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - DFen911 - 06-06-2010

Well they're on I'll keep ya posted Low and slow. I wish I could do your way Jean but I need em for dinner tonight

Can someone tell me WHY I set myself up like this when company is coming over and I'm insistant on doing A-dishes I've never done before and B- using a technique that is totally new to me? Hahaha!

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - cjs - 06-06-2010

Why? 'cause we are brain-dead in the area of caution when it comes to food and feeding friends.

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - Harborwitch - 06-06-2010

Because we are fearless and show-offs????? And what Jean said! Good luck and have fun with it!

Re: Smoking Tri Tip - esgunn - 06-06-2010

Probably too late - be we cook tri tip on the gill like we would a flank steak. They are a little thicker, so just a little longer.

Don't know that this helps with smoking...