Cuisine at home Forums
Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys (/showthread.php?tid=101742)

Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - cjs - 06-05-2010

A few weeks ago, I stopped in a restaurant supply house and picked up two industrial size hamburger and hot dog bun pans which were in a cruddy used bin. Burger pan made 15 buns and hot dog pan made 18 - way to many for us. So, took them down to Roy's work shop and he cut each pan in half -

[Image: BunPan1.jpg]

so now I have -
[Image: BurgerBunPan.jpg]
and
[Image: HotDogBunPan.jpg]

Today, I finally got to play with them. I used Blitz bread for the buns, which turns out was a mistake. I really need a stiffer dough to work with, these really spread out too much, but they were really tasty!

One batch of the bread made four of each buns.
[Image: BunDoughReadytoBakeJune5.jpg]

As I said they spread too much, but here they are -
[Image: BlitzBuns.jpg]

The outside is wonderfully crispy and the inside just a great bready texture, but I'll try another recipes for the next ones.
[Image: Bunns2.jpg]

I was going to offer the other halves to someone, but they are so darn heavy, it would cost a fortune - so, will see if Houseboat Don wants them or....someone that we run into on our trips every once in a while - like Erin or Denise.

All of us can handle six hot dog or hamburger buns, I'm sure. They are great pans.

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - Harborwitch - 06-05-2010

Those are waaayyyy too cool! Popcorn bread dough! Add some garlic powder and voila - perfect hot dog and hamburger buns!

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - farnfam - 06-05-2010

Love them!

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - esgunn - 06-05-2010

Wow! cool! I have a "muffin top" pan, do you think that would work for buns?

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - Mare749 - 06-06-2010

Oh, how fun! They may have spread out too much, but still look really tasty. As Sharon mentioned, the popcorn bread recipe makes really good buns.

I really have to find a new restaurant supply store. The one by me closed.

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - Gourmet_Mom - 06-06-2010

I agree with the popcorn bread for the buns! Cool idea!

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - Harborwitch - 06-06-2010

The garlic powder is perfect in them for dogs and burgers. I think next time I make buns I'll put some cheese in. I need to make buns this week.

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - cjs - 06-06-2010

Erin, I'm not sure how deep the muffin top pans are, but they probably would work.

I added garlic, onion, basil, oregano and a little red pepper flakes to the bread dough and they really are very tasty.

I hate working with that popcorn bread.....

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - Mare749 - 06-06-2010

"I hate working with that popcorn bread....."

Why is that? Just curious. I made hotdog buns with Sharon's recipe for custard dinner rolls and they were superb!

Re: Play Day & New Kitchen Toys - luvnit - 06-06-2010

Wow! Doesn't that look like fun!

I agree, Sharon's custard rich rolls would be just yummy for this, I think.