Cuisine at home Forums
Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner (/showthread.php?tid=101724)

Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner - cjs - 06-05-2010

I used to make these a lot when all the kids were home - they all loved crab so and 1 can or whatever crab we had left from catching at Bodega Bay would feed the whole family.

I've been making these lately for our brunch with a little bubbly and we still love them. Maybe a new idea for someone? or a reminder to those who do make these.

[Image: CrabMelt2June6.jpg]

Crab Melts
For 4 servings

Make a bechamel sauce:
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
2 cups milk

Melt butter in a saucepan; add the flour and with a whisk, continuously
whisk the butter and flour over medium heat for 1 minute (this will get rid of the floury taste). Slowly add the milk and continue whisking until beginning to thicken.

Add one or two cans of crabmeat or approx. 1 1/2 cups of crabmeat; turn the heat to low and continue cooking just until all is heated through.

Toast 4 English muffins and put 2 halves on each plate; top with the crab mixture and grate a little cheddar cheese over the top.

Also good is if you have a little breakfast or other lightly spiced sausage, crumble it up and add to the crab mixture to heat through.

Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner - Harborwitch - 06-05-2010

Oh Jean I love crab melts! Those look so good. There's another reason to head back to the coast - good crab!!! Out here it's the fake crab or pay through the nose for questionable stuff in a tub.

When our friends used to own a restaurant in Isleton my favorite lunch there was the crawdad melt - lots of crawdad tails on toasted sourdough with jack cheese! Mmmmmmmmmm.

Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner - esgunn - 06-05-2010

Jean, my mom used to make those. She'd also make them with tuna. And I have a version that uses canned salmon and asparagus.

Thanks for the reminder. I have never served those to the kids.

Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner - Vanquisher - 06-07-2010

I absolutely love crab. I think it is my favorite food. I will have to try these.

Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner - Gourmet_Mom - 06-07-2010

Sounds good to me! Anything with Crab AND Bechamel....YUM!

Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner - Lorraine - 06-08-2010

He'd be liking that! He loves crab, and I have a block of gruyere. Thanks, Jean.