General Discussion >> Cooking

Pages: 1
r9thomas
Fryer

Reged: 10/14/09
Loc: Westerville, Ohio
recipe index
      #88589 - 10/15/09 08:00 AM

I'm a new online member, but have subscribed for a couple years to the magazine. I also bought the nice bounded first five years worth of issues. I love the magazine and have always given credit to it when people compliment the meal. I'm sure Cuisine At Home has some new subscriptions to my credit.

I could not find this answer, but maybe it exist.

Because of the large number of issues I have at home, I sometimes remember a recipe I wanted to try, but can not remember what issue it was in. So I sit and start flipping through the dozens I have, which can be very frustrating.

I realize it doesn't make economic sense to give recipes away for free, but if there was an index that could be searched where the result was maybe a brief description (so you know you found the right one) and then the month, year and page of the recipe. Then I could go right to it.

For example: You are thinking of hamburgers and there are a lot of good recipes you've read, and you remember something about a feta cheese burger that sounded good. You have no idea what issue it was in, so you search Cuisine at Home recipe index and bingo: Issue 63, June 2007 page 18!
You pull that issue off the shelf and enjoy a REALLY good burger.

Let me know if something like that exist, or could exists.

Thanks for everyone's help with this and keep up the great recipes.

Rick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cjsModerator
Master Chef

Reged: 01/02/06
Loc: On the Road, U.S.of A.
Re: recipe index [Re: r9thomas]
      #88593 - 10/15/09 08:42 AM

Well, Rick, have you ever been a day late and a $$$ short before?? You have been now. C@H used to have the greatest archive site that we could go to to search where favorite old recipes were. But, this site was closed a few months ago - not really sure why, supposedly to be worked on, but we're still holding our breaths.

One forum member, labs, has made up a wonderful reference list for the magazine, but I haven't used it for so long, I can't remember how to get to it. Someone will be right along and give both of us the answer, I'm sure.

Welcome to the forum and the C@H neighborhood - love to have you join us regularly and critique recipes as you try them along with us.

--------------------
Follow the (mis)adventures of 2 old people on the road & see the trouble, food, wines, people we find along way
http://cjdacook.wordpress.com

HomeCulinarian
Master Chef

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Champaign, IL
Re: recipe index [Re: cjs]
      #88594 - 10/15/09 08:54 AM

Hi, Rick. CAH does have an on-line index for subscribers. From the magazine's home page, click on Magazine Customer Service. Then the last link under "Other" is the index. You will need to provide your customer number or your information to access it. After you access it, then you can make it a favorite and bypass the need to remember your customer number for future visits. The only down side to it is that it doesn't include recipes in the cookbooks.

And, I'll add my welcome!

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Re: recipe index [Re: HomeCulinarian]
      #88596 - 10/15/09 08:58 AM

I didn't know that!! Guess it's time the moderator get up to speed!! Thanks Jeanette - I don't feel like too much of a dummy.

--------------------
Follow the (mis)adventures of 2 old people on the road & see the trouble, food, wines, people we find along way

chef_Tab
Master Chef

Reged: 07/19/08
Loc: State College, PA
      #88599 - 10/15/09 09:22 AM

Jean, you are not a dummy! You are just "special"!

--------------------
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Re: recipe index [Re: chef_Tab]
      #88604 - 10/15/09 10:59 AM

a special dummy maybe...

--------------------

r9thomas
Fryer

#88613 - 10/15/09 01:50 PM

thanks, I went to the page, but the "online index" isn't linked. I can get to customer service, but the link is not there to click on. Maybe it's temporarily disabled?

I'm curious, so a few months ago when one did an index search, did they get the recipe or the issue the recipe was in?

Also, Should I contact C@H directly then to inquire about this or is there a web service that handles this.

Thanks again,
Rick

r9thomas
Fryer

#88614 - 10/15/09 02:04 PM

thanks for the tip on user "Labradors" website. It has a search that does do what I was thinking. The search isn't faultless, or maybe it has not been updated. I entered "feta cheseburgers" and various iterations, but it didn't return any results, not even for "hamburger". I had some success with other searches.
However, it is really a rather amazing thing Labradors did given the likelihood it was done without the benefit of the magazines electronic database.
I'm hoping C@H will offer some official search similar to what Labradors has done.
Thanks,
Rick

HomeCulinarian
Master Chef

#88615 - 10/15/09 02:12 PM

OK - I explained it wrong. Sorry When you get to the Magazine Customer Service page, you need to log in first, then the index link becomes available. I have it saved in my favorites so don't have to log in each time.

Edited to add that Jean is no dummy!

Edited by HomeCulinarian (10/15/09 02:14 PM)

Gourmet_Mom
Master Chef

Reged: 11/29/07
Loc: Southeastern North Carolina
      #88621 - 10/15/09 03:51 PM

Welcome Rick! The online index is up and working. Like Jeanette said, you have to log in first.

Jeanette, I never thought of bookmarking it after logging in! I HATE having to go dig out a magazine with the cover still on it every time. Thanks!

Jean, you are NOT a dummy!

--------------------
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Re: recipe index [Re: Gourmet_Mom]
      #88625 - 10/15/09 05:15 PM

Well, this may clinch it - I tried, but I have no idea what my customer number is and who saves the outside wrapping of the magazine?? (not me). Am I still missing something?

Rick, if you want to contact someone at the magazine, and get a respons quickly, send a p.m. to Brian - you'll see his name on the index page of this forum. Just click on his name and it will prompt you to send a private message. He's very good about responding. Good luck.

--------------------

labradors
Master Chef

Reged: 07/14/07
Loc: Florida
Re: recipe index [Re: Gourmet_Mom]
      #88627 - 10/15/09 05:23 PM

Thomas,

When I started my site, there wasn't an easy way to search HERE. Having been very busy with many other things, I have neglected the site for a while, and especially haven't updated the Cuisine index since this site began making that other search available. Thus, my database for the search is woefully behind, but thank you for having given it a try.

For now, welcome to THIS site. I hope to get back to doing more work on my site, soon, but for an update on other things going on right now, please see the prayer-request message I just entered.

--------------------
It's called "Bach choy" because "Beethoven choy" is too difficult to say.

HomeCulinarian
Master Chef

#88632 - 10/15/09 05:52 PM

You don't have to have your customer number handy. There is an alternate section below where you give other information to verify your subscription.

Gourmet_Mom
Master Chef

Reged: 11/29/07
Loc: Southeastern North Carolina
      #88638 - 10/15/09 06:15 PM

Jean, bless your heart...scroll down the page. On the same page, below the login using your account number, you can find your account using just your name address, etc.

BTW, I used to didn't save mine until I encountered the same problem you are having. Now I save them...although, I may not HAVE to if Jeanette's suggestion for bookmarking works! It worked!

--------------------
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Edited by Gourmet_Mom (10/15/09 06:18 PM)

Cubangirl
Master Chef

Reged: 01/26/09
Loc: Chico, CA
      #88639 - 10/15/09 06:19 PM

Not sure if this is the one, but just in case:
This recipe is full of the bright flavors of the Mediterranean. Sounds wonderful! Found at Cuisine at Home, Issue 63 Placing here for safekeeping, I want to try them real soon.

SERVES 4 (change servings and units)

FETA SAUCE

* 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
* 4 ounces cream cheese
* 1/4 cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
* 1/4 cup pepperoncini pepper, sliced
* 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced
* 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
* salt, to taste
* fresh ground black pepper, to taste

BURGERS

* 2 lbs ground round or ground chuck
* salt, to taste
* fresh ground black pepper, to taste
* oregano, to taste
* crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)

ASSEMBLY

* 4 hoagie rolls or ciabatta rolls, split, toasted
* red leaf lettuce
* tomato, slices
* thinly sliced cucumber
* yogurt, for rolls (only if needed)

Directions

1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Process feta, cream cheese and yogurt until smooth.
3. Add pepperoncinis, scallions, zest, and seasonings; pulse to coarsely chop, then set aside.
4. Shape ground round or ground chuck into 8 (4 oz) portions on wax paper, using a fork to form them into patties the size of hoagie rolls (it's fine if you use regular round buns).
5. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and coarsely crushed red pepper flakes.
6. Top 4 patties with a slice of onion.
7. Cover with remaining patties, seal edges with a fork and season again.
8. Grill burgers on an oiled grate for 4 minutes, flip and cook 2 minutes more.
9. Spoon 1/4 cup feta sauce on each burger; grill 2 minutes.
10. Serve burgers on the rolls, lettuce, tomato and cucumbers.

Remember, if everything else fails try Google.

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Re: recipe index [Re: Cubangirl]
      #88653 - 10/16/09 08:36 AM

Well, for heaven's sake, forgot all about the recipe....doesn't that sound good.

--------------------

r9thomas
Fryer

#88674 - 10/16/09 01:33 PM

Did it!

Thank you everyone. That is exactly what I was hoping for. And yes, the Feta burgers are really good.

I am grateful to C@H for the great recipes and this cool index and to my new friends who have helped me figure it out.

Rick

PS: Labradors, it really is remarkable you indexed all those recipes yourself on your website. Thanks for your efforts. I'm sure it gave C@H a road map of how to do it.

labradors
Master Chef

Reged: 07/14/07
Loc: Florida
      #88694 - 10/16/09 06:29 PM

Thanks, Rick. It's easy when you store the info in a MySQL database. My original source for the data was the part of THIS website, where they advertise the bound volumes and list what's in them.

Glad you found what you sought. If you like experimenting with interesting burgers, try Tamarind-Glazed Turkey Burgers. So far, they're the most delicious burgers I've ever had. Haven't tried the feta burgers yet, but we don't really get the best beef here, so I'm sure those would taste much better in the States than they would here.

--------------------
It's called "Bach choy" because "Beethoven choy" is too difficult to say.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cuisine, Brian, cjs 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 27685

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement Cuisine at Home