What Kind of Smoker Do You Have??
  Re: (...)
Denise was asking about smokers in another thread that will get lost if we post this there, so I'm starting a thread to see what kinds of smokers we all have. Here is Daphne's response to start us off -

"Denise, I have a Wilmington Grill, which is basically an indirect heat gas grill. We had been discussing smoking and getting a smoker. I KNEW the grill had a smoker setting on the temp gauge and had tried smoking a time or two with chips in a aluminum pan. But I could never get the temp right until I figured out to shut down one side of the grill...DUH! But I never got the smoke I knew I needed.

Then William went on the grill sight after seeing Sharon's smoked bacon...LOL! He came home a few days later with the smoker pan that fits my grill. Now, we just throw a hickory log in the pan, light the grill, get it smokin', turn off or down the gas, and we got a smoker! It is too cool! We did a chicken tonight....see the What's for dinner thread."

I have a Kenmore gas smoker. Love it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by cjs (Denise was asking ab...)
We have a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain gas smoker that is our go to somker. We also have what is affectionately known as an "ECB" (el cheapo brinkman) bullet shaped electric smoker that Bob has converted to gas. We plan to modify that one for cold smoke.

Next year we're hoping to get a bigger one that actually uses wood chunks. We are looking at getting a small backyard chipper so we can make our own chips.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by Harborwitch (We have a Great Outd...)
O.K., now you have me thinking - I replaced my bullet shaped electric with what I have now. Hmmmmm, maybe it won't be put in the annual neighborhood yard sale. May have to play with this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by cjs (O.K., now you have m...)
For years I used an "R2D2" type water smoker using charcoal. Did a good job. The last 10 yrs or so I have used a barrel type with an offset firebox/grill, also using charcoal...does a good job. Iusually smoke until I get the amount of smoke I want and the finish off in the oven inside.

Jane gave me a Bradley electric smoker for my birthday. Very clean with various types of wood bisquettes for smoking--much less clean up (I'm getting lazy as I grow older). You can also cold smoke in it and after smoking you can finish cooking as long as you want in the Bradley--no need to move inside. I haven't used it yet. I'll let you know. Stainless steel and weighs about 40 lbs.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by Old Bay (For years I used an ...)
My parents have the Cameron stove-top smoker, which does work very well for small quantities that don't need to be smoked for very long times.

I still have a pipe dream about making a simple smoker from a 55-gallon drum. In fact, I already have TWO such drums, and they ARE food grade - never designed nor used for anything toxic.

The problem is: they have a coating (not a lining) that covers the inside, and the only advice I've been able to get (From the "Smoke Ring" forum) for removing it is to scrape out as much of it as possible, using a wire brush attachment for an electric drill, then build a big fire inside to burn out the rest of it. Since I'm not very good with that kind of thing, my desire to do this has not yet overcome the discouragement, and I haven't much felt like attempting it, so I have just let it sit there, under the heading of "Don't start vast projects with half-vast ideas."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by cjs (O.K., now you have m...)
Bob sets the smoker on top of the burner for our turkey fryer. Maybe he can set it up so I can take a picture for you . . . on a day that it isn't 105.

We are thinking about running some kind of vent pipe to it that can be connected to the big smoker and will just push cold smoke. Nice for cheese and cold smoked salmon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by Harborwitch (Bob sets the smoker ...)
Thanks Jean!

Bill do you have a picture of your setup? I have a bbq that is the "barrel" shape with a smoke box off to the right but I have never used it for that. Wasn't sure how to set it up to provide adequate heat and smoke.
  Re: Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by DFen911 (Thanks Jean![br][br]...)
Quote:

Thanks Jean!

Bill do you have a picture of your setup? I have a bbq that is the "barrel" shape with a smoke box off to the right but I have never used it for that. Wasn't sure how to set it up to provide adequate heat and smoke.

I'll post a picture as soon as I can get some help getting it on the thread--I'm not that good with the computer and posting pictures--sad--BS in Chemistry, 38 years running a business and technology is passing by too quickly. But by God I can still cook!!! (And drink wine!)
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hi All,

My boyfriend got me my smoker for our anniversary. I LOVE IT. So easy and the meat comes out delicious. here is the link

http://www.cookshack.com/residential-barbecue-smokers
  Re: Re: What Kind of Smoker Do You Have?? by piano226 (Hi All,[br][br]My bo...)
Camel Light 99s...oh, you meant smoker smoker...the same kind Sharon has.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy