Fajitas...I think :)
  Re: (...)
I'm bored and never did make that brisket. It's lonesome here, so I'm going to try to pull myself out of my funk and cook something. What I'm not sure at the moment but it'll be enough to feed a crowd. The brisket is thawing a little so I can slice it thin and then I'll decide. Got a new 6 quart crockpot I need to break in or maybe that 110 lb Le Creuset skillet Dale gave me. I know, I'll just keep enough here to feed the 800 lb gorilla and take the rest to the people at the garage that takes care of my cars! I haven't cooked them anything in a while.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Fajitas...I think :) by bjcotton (I'm bored and never ...)
Billy, that's a great idea. Using your creativity and sharing it with friends always lifts the spirits, at least for a little while. And that's about all you can do for now, is get through the next little while. Just take it day by day. Spoil yourself a bit, you deserve it.

What about dessert? Have you baked a cake lately? I keep meaning to make that yummy looking chocolate cake with Italian meringue buttercream that Warren Brown made in the December 2006 issue of C@H.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fajitas...I think :) by Mare749 (Billy, that's a grea...)
OMG Maryann, that sounds way too good, off to go look that one up.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Fajitas...I think :) by farnfam (OMG Maryann, that so...)
Billy, why don't you look into one of the meals on wheels kitchens or soup kitchen in your area, maybe you could go volunteer and slice and dice to your heart's content - if you volunteer, you can quite anytime, like when you come up here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Billy, sorry you're down in the dumps (NH-ese). Maryanne is right, you should cook something for someone who appreciates what you can do. And, you'll make their day, to boot!

Hope you're smilin' soon

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Fajitas...I think :) by cjs (Billy, why don't you...)
Good idea, Jean! (We were posting at the same time)

My grandmother, who is 97, is up visiting from Florida. She volunteers at the soup kitchen every day, as well as her lodge (whatever that may be), the VFW and her church. (she's the one who has the 4PM Highball w/a beer chaser everyday, makes me wonder what she's consuming at the lodge and the VFW)

On the other hand, Billy, you could come Personal Chef for me while I'm working these crazy hours but it would be pretty boring for you warming up Elio's Pizza and making grilled cheese sandwiches

PJ
PJ
Billy, bake some French bread and take it to your neighbors as gifts--it might coax a glass of wine and some conversation from the recipient!! French bread is the only baking I ever mastered, and come to think of it I haven't done any in awhile. I still think baking is like turning lead into gold--Magic!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Fajitas...I think :) by Old Bay (Billy, bake some Fre...)
Billy, one of the best ways to lift your own spirits is to serve someone else's needs. Of course, serving can take many forms, but since you're such a great cook, I'm sure there are lots and lots of people that would enjoy receiving a gift of your culinary output! Helping others also helps us put our own life in perspective.

Let us know what you made and who the lucky folks were that received your gifts.
A good brisket recipe is just cover it with garlic and onions and cover tightly and bake in a 350 over for about 3 hours. Then you must make potato pancakes to serve with it. That's my half Jewish side showing. Man is it good. My father used to make potato pancakes and the messier the kitchen was, the better they tasted. But it would take me days to wash off the oil from the cabinets. He died in 04, and I'd happily wash off the grease again if I could.
  Re: Re: Fajitas...I think :) by lxxf (A good brisket recip...)
Do a Jewish brisket--a great man once said "Only Jews and Texans can cook brisket" I agree. The two most misunderstood races in the world!! Both very proud. QB VII was one of the greatest books ever written--quite depressing, and uplifting!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".