Lumpia
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a great T&T recipe for Lumpia filling? My hubby worked the beer/food tent at the Air Force Rodeo a few weeks back and is convinced he can make me shrimp balls and lumpia now. We will probably try them next week after he is back from his trip (now that he has probably forgotten the recipes). I'd like to have a recipe as a back up...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Lumpia by esgunn (Does anyone have a g...)
This is my T&T for the catering biz.

Minced garlic (3 cloves)
Minced onion (2 small)
1/4 tomato puree
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 pound of minced beef
1/2 pound of minced pork
1/2 pound minced ham
3 bay leaves
1 cup water
salt
white pepper
20 lumpia wrappers

Brown it, drain it, combine it simmer it, drain it a long time, assemble it, roll it, fry it.

I like them with vinegar garlic sauce

1/4 Thai vinegar (or white)
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt

mix throughly makes for one person.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
Pardon me, my ignorance is showing.

What is lumpia? or do I know it by another name?

PJ
PJ
Okay---I'll bite!!! What is "LUMPIA" ???

I live in another world, remember-----GEESH!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Lumpia by pjcooks ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Lumpia is similar to an egg roll or spring roll. It is Phillipino. They are yummy. Heavier on the pork than on the vegis of spring rolls or egg rolls.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Lumpia by pjcooks ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Lumpia is an eggroll type food common to the Asian Island nations, as well as some of the coastal asian continent countries.

Most commonly the wrapper differs from an eggroll wrapper in that it is made of rice. Very light, very thin.

Two type of lumpia are common. Fresh lumpia, many times referred to as Spring Rolls and Fried lumpia many times called dinner lumpia.

Fillings vary from region to region. But the three most common are vegetable lumpia, Pork lumpia, and seafood lumpia.

They are commonly rolled to the size of your thumb for thickness and generally just short in length of a standard size cigar.

Recent trends in California have Fresh Lumpia type appetizers composed of fresh vegetables wrapped in a lettuce leaf with a dipping sauce.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Lumpia by esgunn (Lumpia is similar to...)
Okay--- I'll wait (with baited breath) for a recipe---LOVE spring roll type thingies, any type!!! Nice explanations given---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Lumpia by bbally (This is my T&T for t...)
Thanks for the recipe!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Lumpia by esgunn (Thanks for the recip...)
Your welcome, if you want some variants let me know, there are three other tested lumpia recipes that I use on Phillipino weddings. And don't even get me started on adobo
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Lumpia by bbally (Your welcome, if you...)
I sometimes make them using wonton wrappers with just a teaspoon of the mixture in the center, looks kind of like the Crab Rangoon.

Bob, I would like the variant recipes please...and how about an Adobo recipe or two or three?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy