Cuisine at home
 UBB.threads ™ Groupee, Inc. 

General Discussion >> Cooking

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
foodfiend
Master Chef

Reged: 08/01/06
Loc: Southwestern PA
Need menu suggestions for weekend guests!
      #32420 - 05/10/07 08:56 PM

Hello. My name is Vicci and I have some major control issues...

When I entertain guests, I want everything to be perfect and I want to do it all myself. We have a vacation home on a lake about an hour away from our farm. During the summer, we have a few groups of friends who spend weekends there. I enjoy planning menus, and preparing the food and the table decorations, but in the quest to have better food, more inventive decorations, etc. each time, I'm wearing myself out. Last week, as we were at the lake house installing a boat lift for the boat that we bought last year for entertaining, my husband brought up the summer's guest schedule and my heart actually sank. And that depressed me because I usually look forward to these gatherings. It's just so darn much work-- cleaning and cooking beforehand, entertaining and cooking during, cleaning afterward.

I am in need of quick, make-ahead meals for these weekends. A few of these guests have very gourmet tastes and I can't just throw chicken on the grill. For example, this was the menu for a Saturday night dinner last summer:

appetizers
Queso Fundido al Tequila, veggie dippers
Tomato-Poblano Guacamole, tortilla chips

first course
Spicy Tropical Gazpacho

main course
French West Indian Grilled Snapper with Caper Sauce
Rice with Pigeon Peas
Corn & Tomato Salad with Thyme and Roasted Poblanos
Mashed Plantains with Rum
Corn Muffins with Jalapeño and Lime Butter

dessert
Coconut Rum Brownies
Grapefruit Granité with Mangoes and White Rum Mojito

Every invitation I make gets a couple of replies like: "And we can't wait to taste what incredible thing you choose to make for dinner this time!"

I've dug myself into a hole and need to gather some interesting, yet easy, recipes for this summer. And I need help.

So, I am appealing to you all-- do you have an easy, knock-their-socks-off recipe (or recipes) which you make for special guests that you can share? The only caveat is that Jack and I don't eat red meat, so it should be limited to fish and poultry.

I would be so happy for the help. Thanks!

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lorraine
Master Chef

Reged: 04/10/06
Loc: Virginia
Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: foodfiend]
      #32429 - 05/11/07 06:09 AM

"I can't just throw chicken on the grill. "

Yes you can, Vicci, it just depends on what else you do to it!!!

I dug myself into the same hole a few years ago when I bought this house (it has a pool, which friends and family love!!!). Sometimes I feel like there is a sign out front "Lorraine's Hotel, Open for Business" LOL I've learned to keep it simple, fresh, and fun. There's two mags that I have been cooking from the last few years, I'll go through them this weekend and post some ideas / recipes.

--------------------
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Mare749
Master Chef

Reged: 11/08/06
Loc: Ohio
Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Lorraine]
      #32437 - 05/11/07 08:04 AM

Vicci, I agree with Lorraine. Simple, fresh and fun is the best way to go so that you can enjoy your weekend guests and your new boat! Maybe let your guests bring something.

We used to have a trailer out your way where we spent many fine weekends. Some of us would share meals. We let the men do the grilling, (fresh fish if we were lucky). Each of the women would make something, a fresh salad, some cut-up fruit, a specialty cocktail, (lots of those!) We could put together a great meal in very little time and no stress. Most people who enjoy "gourmet" food have a favorite way of preparing something and usually enjoy sharing it.

I will look for some recipes too!

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

“The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.” –­ Julia Child

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Reged: 01/02/06
Loc: On the Road, U.S.of A.
      #32438 - 05/11/07 08:33 AM

Hi Vicci, my name is Jean and I'm a recovering major controler...

are we related Vicci??? I dug myself the same hole for years - I still can't let go of my own menus/dishes for company, but I have learned - as Lorraine mentioned - it's what you do with it.

Buy a couple of garnishing books and go crazy with simple but skilled dishes. IMO, a perfectly roasted chicken is a thing of beauty and absolutely wonderful to eat - you can't get much easier than that! (I'm not suggesting a roast chicken, it's just an example)

I have a sneaking suspicion your 'gourmet-taste' friends are not cooks and you can blow their socks off very easily, with garnishes and giving your dishes 'gourmet' names!!

Here's a couple of ideas for you that you can play with and make your own - I would serve these to anyone and a couple I have served to CMC (Certified Master Chef) Jon Greenwalt, ACF Academy of Chefs member - now that's cooking for someone!!

Onion Gratin (in the 70s this used to be called 'Gourmet Onions', hated that name so dressed it up)

Onion Gratin

4 cups onions -- sliced (3 large white)
5 T. butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425°

Sauté the onions in butter until transparent and place in a buttered 1 1/2-qt. au gratin dish or flat casserole.

Beat eggs until light; add sour cream and salt & pepper and combine; pour over onions and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top begins to brown. Serves 8

Description:
"This makes a wonderful side dish for just about any meat or poultry."

--------
this one will knock their socks off - and so easy, make ahead!

CAVIAR "PIE"

6 large hard-cooked eggs -- finely chopped
3 Tbsps mayonnaise
1 large sweet onion -- finely chopped
8 ozs cream cheese -- softened
2/3 cup sour cream
3 1/2 ozs Caviar
Lemon wedges & Parsley sprigs for garnish

Rub bottom and sides of an 8" spring form pan with butter, or spray with cooking spray.
In a bowl, combine eggs and mayonnaise until well blended.

Spread in the bottom of pan to make an even layer; sprinkle with onion.

Combine cream cheese and sour cream; beat until smooth.

By the spoonful, drop onto onion and with a wet table knife, spread gently to smooth.
Cover and chill at least three hours or overnight.

At party time, top with a layer of caviar, distributing it to the edges of the pan.

Run a knife around sides of pan; loosen & lift off the sides.

Arrange lemon wedges in open pinwheel and fill center with parsley sprigs.
Serves 12-15

Description:
"You can use either Black Lumpfish or Whitefish Caviar in this dish. This appetizer is a great way to have those who have never tried caviar enjoy their first experience. It's best served with small slices of pumpernickel bread, or cocktail bread rounds

--------

CRANBERRY CRAB SPREAD

8 oz. cream cheese -- softened
2 T. milk
8 oz. crabmeat (fresh or canned and flaked)
2 T. green onions -- minced or chives
Salt
1 clove garlic -- minced
4 shakes of Tabasco -- (4 to 6)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Parsley -- sliced green onions

Whisk together the cream cheese and milk until well blended.
Add the crabmeat, green onions, salt, garlic and Tabasco; combine well.
Gently stir in the cranberries; cover and refrigerate two hours.

Garnish and serve with crackers or toasted bread rounds.
Makes about 2 cups.

Description:
"Needed an impromptu Superbowl dip one year and this combination worked out very well."

------
I serve these shimp either in a large (oversized) martini glass or in shooter glasses with a little cocktail sauce in the glass. another easy, do ahead - and for an easy entree serve the shrimp (and all the wonderful goop) over pasta.

GARLIC ROASTED SHRIMP COCKTAIL

GARLIC ROASTED SHRIMP COCKTAIL

oven to 450°. On a heavy baking sheet mix together -
(for ~1 1/2 lbs. shrimp)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. EVO
Kosher salt & cracked black pepper

Add the peeled, but tails left on, shrimp to the b. sheet and toss together with the garlic mixture. Spread out in a single layer.

Roast for 3 min, turn shrimp over & continue roasting till the shrimp are opaque and firm, another 2-4 min.

Transfer shrimp to a shallow dish, cover partially & refrigerate. When the shrimp are chilled, eat those suckers!! Just remember when you transfer the shrimp, scrape the bottom of the b. sheet and get all the great goop for the shrimp.

I'm bound and determined one of these days to stay out of the shrimp long enuf to cook up some pasta and just scrape all that on top!! It is so good!

Also, if you don't have a favorite cocktail sauce -

1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c chili sauce
1/4 c grated red onion
1/2-1 tsp. finely chopped fresh jalapeno
2-3 T. prepared horseradish
1 T. fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt to taste.

This will keep up to a week...I'm told. Just before serving taste and add more lemon juice and salt if needed.
----
and a delicious side dish salad -

COUSCOUS, SPIINACH AND DRIED CRANBERRIES

1 ¼ c chicken broth
¼ tsp. grd. Red pepper (cayenne)
1 c dried couscous
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed, spweezed dry
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 T. each: olive oil, seasoned rice vinegar
¼ tsp. salt

Heat broth & cayenne to boil over high heat.
Pour over couscous. Cover and let stand till lliquid has been absorbed, ~5 min.
Add spinach, cranberries, oil, vinegar, & salt. Mix with a fork.

(If I have some feta in frig, I crumble some into this)

-----
and how about this for easy???

MELON and PROSCIUTTO PASTA

1/4 cup fruity olive oil
1 1/2 cups cantaloupe -- diced
1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto -- very coarsely diced
grated zest of 1 med. lemon
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
freshly ground black pepper
3 T. Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated, plus extra for serving
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves -- cut into strips

Combine olive oil, cantaloupe, prosciutto, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper & Parmesan cheese in pasta serving bowl.

Set aside to warm to room temperature, or just till flavors mingle.

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water till al dente. Drain pasta well & immediately add to sauce in bowl. Sprinkle with basil & toss. Serve at once with extra Parmesan cheese. Pass the pepper mill.

RECOMMENDED PASTA: 8 oz. medium shells (conchiglie rigate).

Description:
"If you can close your eyes & visualize Italian antipasto & recall the mouthwatering taste of sliced sweet melon draped w/salty prosciutto, then this unusual-sounding pasta dish is for you. Serves 2-4. This dish is especially welcome on a sultry summer
day"

Serving Ideas : Serve in wide, shallow pasta bowls and be sure to pass the pepper mill.
--------

O.K, I'll stop - it's hard once I get started! I'm sure you must have some 'coffee table' cookbooks (Keller, Trotter, the Beautiful Cookbooks, etc.) - I'm always looking at their presentations and copying them. They can make everyday macaroni salad look fit for a queen!!

And Vicci, lastly, why not (at least TRY) ask your guests to bring a dish everyonce in a while, have a party where everyone brings a dish. What we did with our Pig BBQs every year is we provided the pig, drinks, and lots of food (I couldn't not do this ), but everyone had to bring a dish WITH the recipe and the following year I would give out a recipe book with all the previous year's recipes. Everyone loves those books!! I bet your friends would love to have fun with food with you - given the chance.

It took me a while to learn to let go, but I'm able to every once in a while now...

HAVE FUN THIS SUMMER!!!!!

--------------------
Follow the (mis)adventures of 2 old people on the road & see the trouble, food, wines, people we find along way
http://cjdacook.wordpress.com

Half_Baked
Master Chef

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: Atlanta
Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: cjs]
      #32447 - 05/11/07 11:50 AM

lol, one of my hobbies was preparing menus for all types of functions. I just loved doing it back when we entertained all the time.

I'd gather cookbooks for ideas and plan for any and all occassions. I think since we are recipe addicts, we do it in the back of our minds with every magazine and book anyway.

Yes, just relax. If someone was graciously entertaining me at their lake house, I'd be grateful just to be there and not worry about 'gourmet' food. I'd rather enjoy the company of my host and hostess than have them fussing in the kitchen.

--------------------
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

vannin
Master Chef

Reged: 04/09/06
Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Half_Baked]
      #32461 - 05/11/07 05:25 PM

I read this post and wilted. Perhaps it is different in this country, but I would no more go to someones holiday home and expect to be catered for like that than fly to the moon on a broomstick. Gourmets or not, (and I agree with Jean on this) a chicken on the grill and a couple of salads would be more than just fine. And I would bring the salads.

Let it be known the fare will be holiday fare, not restaurant fare, and that bringing a plate of something would be just fine thank you.

vannin
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: vannin]
      #32462 - 05/11/07 05:41 PM

Sorry Vicci, got carried away with indignation. How about a ham, a big fat leg that will carry you through the weekend in various ways. Maybe a deli meat platter, stuffed potatoes that can be done a couple of days ahead. And let go a little, then a lot as you get more comfortable. Let you visitors do the dishes, and put them away. Have a doze while they are doing it.

HomeCulinarian
Master Chef

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Champaign, IL
Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: vannin]
      #32463 - 05/11/07 05:51 PM

When I first read this post I felt completely inadequate and not worthy!

Others have echoed my sentiments about enjoyment of your dinner guests... Marinate your chicken or fish, make some nice condiments, ask your guests to bring a favorite side dish to go with your theme…

If it ain’t fun… You don’t have to do it!

pjcooks
Master Chef

Reged: 01/27/06
Loc: NH
      #32467 - 05/11/07 06:32 PM

Vicci,

It's taken me almost a year to speak about this, but even though I can barely stand thinking about it, I will.

I gave my parents a 50th anniversary party last year. On my own, 100 guests, in my backyard, thankfully under a tent the Picky One rented at the last moment because it was soooo hot. I of course had to do it all myself, my choice, made all the invitations using vintage photographs, all the food, finding a ca1956 wedding cake topper, which I put on top of the 3 tier columned cake I made and decorated and tried to hold up in 97 degree weather, did I say made and then tried to reheat all the food-setting tables, designing a photo board, handling RSVPs, egads, need more room, more sterno, why hasn't the person who borrowed my chaffers returned them, I NEED THEM NOW , they're drinking more soda than booze, I need more ice, I need more soda, the frosting is melting

I never got a single chance to sit down with my parents on their 50th, nor mingle with the 100 guests I invited.

I so regret that. I was so busy, I never got to putting out the guest book, now, no record, either. I still can't think about it, I would have been so much happier with a smaller, less ambitious menu, to spend time with my folks on their special day.

Okay, we can put the violins away now. Enjoy your guests, the food (while great!) is still just the food. They'll still come, even if the food only takes an hour to cook instead of all day

PJ

Edited by pjcooks (05/11/07 06:50 PM)

HomeCulinarian
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: pjcooks]
      #32469 - 05/11/07 07:04 PM

We should all learn from PJ's tale. It reminded me of my daughter's wedding last summer. We had it at a resort, so I wasn't cooking, but it was a week long family reunion in Estes Park, CO, with a wedding on Saturday. Wednesday was horseback riding, Thursday was whitewater rafting, Friday night was Cubs vs Rockies game down in Denver. In between we were making placecards, picking up dresses, flowers, the cake, getting our nails done yadda yadda yadda.

I was so exhausted at the reception, it was hard for me to enjoy myself. I really wish for a do-over! I have three more unwed children and will definitely take a different approach when the time comes.

Vicci - Simple is elegant. I wish you peace!

pjcooks
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: HomeCulinarian]
      #32470 - 05/11/07 07:21 PM

And we should learn from yours, as well. You probably feel as I do, it's a once in a lifetime event, and we basically missed it. Glad you have the chance to re-do down the road!
PJ

Sorry, Vicci, sometimes these posts take on their own lives. We're all just wanting you to enjoy your time with your friends, cause that's what it's all about!!

PJ

Edited by pjcooks (05/11/07 07:25 PM)

vannin
Master Chef

#32474 - 05/11/07 08:40 PM

PJ, I feel this is all along the same subject. You told us of your parents 50th, and we heard about the wedding. Both circumstances reflecting Viccis dilemma. A lot of sound advice has been given, along with two very good examples it behoves us all to remember.

I feel sorry for Vicci but believe it is time for her to stop digging the hole she is in. Who knows, the guests may be happier if simplicity reigns.

Mare749
Master Chef

#32475 - 05/11/07 08:41 PM

What PJ said is true. We all just want you to enjoy your entertaining as much as your guests get to.

So, do you have Weeknight Menus? Great book! How about the Asian Pork Sandwich? Most of it can be made ahead and just put together at the last minute. Just warm the meat while you are toasting baguettes on the grill and assemble.
I know you said you don't eat red meat, but pork is the other "white" meat. I'm sure it would be equally as good with ground turkey. We love this dish.

Cordon Bleu Stuffed Chicken--Yummy! Can be made ahead to take with you.

White Fish Tacos would probably taste pretty good after a day on the boat, especially if you can use your catch.

Seared Tuna and Salsa. This has wow factor, sure to please your guests and very easy.

Roasted Vegetable Salad with Orzo--Very nice summer dish and quick to put together. I roast my vegetables in foil on the grill for 30 to 40 minutes, then finish the rest of the dish.

Watermelon Salad--always nice and most people like melons.

And on the back page there is a recipe for Espresso Sundaes. We love this!

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

“The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.” –­ Julia Child

foodfiend
Master Chef

#32477 - 05/11/07 08:49 PM

Wow.
Deep breath. In. Out. In. Out.
You guys are so nice to write such things and give me ideas and suggestions based on your own experiences. I was feeling a little "down" when I wrote this (could you tell?!)

Maryann, I forgot to mention that another reason I'm a control nut is because I just can't allow people to bring food since it, heaven forbid!, may not fit into the theme of my menu! What a noodle I can be. And I am trying to change, really, but I hate to ask people to drive 1-1/2 to 2 hours hauling a dish.

Lorraine, "simple, fresh, and fun" sounds like words to try and live by this summer. I'd appreciate if you could share any of those recipes you mentioned.

CJ, thank you so much for posting those easy, but obviously knockout recipes. I've printed them out for my file. Yes, I keep files. On each party, on the preferences of each guest. Friends make fun of me! Maybe I can learn to let go occasionally, like you have learned to do.

Jan, your comment ("I'd rather enjoy the company of my host and hostess than have them fussing in the kitchen") hit home. I wonder if I could calligraphy it and frame for the kitchen?!

Dale, I am definitely going to do the calligraphy-thing on your "I would no more go to someones holiday home and expect to be catered for like that than fly to the moon on a broomstick" !!! Good thing I have plenty of wall-space in the kitchen! I also may do this one as well: "Let your visitors do the dishes, and put them away. Have a doze while they are doing it."

Jeannette, your "do-overs" will definitely reap the benefit of your experience!

And, PJ, you for last. We must be on the same culinary plane. I make an "event" out of everything. Invitations, printed menus, placecards, tablescapes (a friend's description!), special dishes and serving pieces for theme meals... I just got into the over-the-top mindset and, as a result, I get quite depressed after these weekends because after all of the work I feel as though I haven't enjoyed it at all. So I completely understand what you went through with your parents' 50th celebration (although it really sounded incredible, all of the love you put into that celebration).

I appreciate all of your help, everyone. In fact, I was going to throw a big "thank you" party for the guys who helped us with the boat-lift (and their wives) next weekend. The menu (a little difficult because one guest is a vegetarian) was another multicourse blowout but I'm going to try my hand at "simplicity". Wish me luck, please!

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

foodfiend
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Mare749]
      #32478 - 05/11/07 08:53 PM

Quote:

So, do you have Weeknight Menus? Great book!

Maryann

Maryann, these recipes sound excellent-- is the book a CAH publication?

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

Mare749
Master Chef

#32479 - 05/11/07 09:01 PM

Yes, it is, and well worth getting! I think you would like it.

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

foodfiend
Master Chef

#32480 - 05/11/07 09:03 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is, and well worth getting! I think you would like it.

Maryann

YAY! A new cookbook!!!

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

HomeCulinarian
Master Chef

#32481 - 05/11/07 09:08 PM

Weeknight Menus isn't available anymore unless you order a trial issue - it is a great collection of easy and good recipes.

Maryann- the roasted vegetable salad is one of our family favorites - and a great option for our vegetarian friends.

Life is short. Don't miss it!

Lyndee
Griller

Reged: 12/09/06
      #32482 - 05/11/07 09:42 PM

Vicci...great advice from everyone and from me to you....buy yourself a copy of Nigella Lawson's 'Forever Summer'. It will see you through the season (no holes need be dug lolol) with elegance and most importantly, ease. She makes things simple, and her recipes are just that. I find it indispensible for home entertaining if I have no leftovers from my other kitchen!

pjcooks
Master Chef

#32485 - 05/11/07 10:01 PM

Give yourself a break, Vicci Don't be so hard on yourself!

PJ

DFen911
Master Chef

Reged: 02/23/06
Loc: Central Oregon
      #32497 - 05/12/07 04:00 PM

Wow ok read thru this thread twice...so much wonderful information! I can see where I can utilize a lot.

Vicci do you have the recipes for the dishes you mentioned? Some sound very interesting.

Jean all of yours just got imported into my Mastercook

--------------------
Go to Heaven for the Climate, go to Hell for the Company ~Mark Twain.
http://oregongreenacres.wordpress.com

bjcotton
Master Chef

Reged: 04/02/06
Loc: Roseburg, OR USA
Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: DFen911]
      #32504 - 05/12/07 05:55 PM

Vicci, I have a chocolate dessert here that is sinfully rich. The last time I served it I put it in shot glasses with 2 or 3 raspberries on the top. If you use dark chocolate it's almost too much...you might want to give it a more elegant name though...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate to The MAX

Recipe By :Bill
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:05
Categories : Desserts-Ices

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon creme de cacao
1 cup whipping cream

In a blender, combine together the chocolate, egg, vanilla, almond extract and Creme de Cacao while microwaving the cream until just beginning to boil. With the blender going add the hot cream and blend well. Pour into small sherbet or wine glasses.

Chill for several hours and serve.

NOTE: Dark chocolate increases the rich chocolatiness of this dessert so, I suggest you make the servings small.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--------------------
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

foodfiend
Master Chef

#32510 - 05/12/07 08:39 PM

Lyndee, I appreciate the suggestion for Nigella's book. I will definitely look into it!

Quote:

Vicci do you have the recipes for the dishes you mentioned? Some sound very interesting.

Denise, which are you interested in? Any or all-- I have them in "the file"...

Billy, that dessert sounds awesome. I instinctively cringe at the word "heavy cream", but in this case a little splurge may be in order.

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

Mare749
Master Chef

#32512 - 05/12/07 09:30 PM

Vicci, they all sound interesting! Would it be a lot of trouble to post all of them?

Lyndee, thanks for the book recommendation!

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

Edited by Mare749 (05/12/07 09:31 PM)

foodfiend
Master Chef

#32513 - 05/12/07 09:43 PM

Quote:

Vicci, they all sound interesting! Would it be a lot of trouble to post all of them?

Lyndee, thanks for the book recommendation!

Maryann

I would be happy to do it. Give me a few days to get it all together (I really should consolidate all of my recipes on one computer...) and I'll copy them into a separate post.

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#32522 - 05/13/07 08:14 AM

Denise, the onion and Couscous dishes I made quite often for customers during my P.c.ing days - great do ahead goodies

--------------------
Follow the (mis)adventures of 2 old people on the road & see the trouble, food, wines, people we find along way

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32577 - 05/14/07 04:46 PM

Sorry for not posting here on the weekend, but I had guests!!! How apropos is that??? LOL Actually, some are still here.

A question, how many people do you usually have for the weekend? I also rarely ask anyone to bring something, unless I know them really well, and know what they wil bring. If it's family coming from Montreal, I have no problems telling them which Quebec artisinal cheeses, or olives from our favourite store to bring. Some ideas from the last two years. ( I promise to post recipes later)

Carolina Pulled Pork
The homemade coleslaw you can make in advance, serve on buns. Dead easy, and feeds a crowd.

Individual Pizzas
They can be very high end. The dough can be made in advance, as can all the toppings and sauces, cheeses etc. Show the first person how to make them,, put them in charge. sit back and enjoy.

Pork Tenderloin.
I buy them when on sale. They only take about 15 minutes to bbq. A favourite is to take the silverskin off, place in a heavy duty ziplock bag, cover in hoisin sauce. Marinate for up to 24 hours. Grill on medium low, turning often for about 15 minutes. Serve with a spicy peanut noodle salad (also done ahead).

Vinegar Mop Chicken
I use thighs and legs for this one. ( I promise to post the recipe). Grill low and slow, put someone in charge of mopping. It's so good.

Pananella Salad
This has become one of my favourites in the summer when tomatoes are at their peak.

Muffalletta (sp??)
I love these for Saturday lunches. Again, can be made the day before, and the taste is fabulous.

This time of year, if we have a rainy Saturday, I'll try to stock up on frozen appetizers. Dumplings for potstickers, lots of phyllo dough ones stuffed with different things.

Bruschetta
May seem overdone to some, but there are so many different toppings to be made. Michael Chiarello (Easy Entertaing..his website is great..am thinking about buying his book)has some great ones.

Crepes
Another one that some say is too old fashioned, but I always keep some in the freezer. If nothing else, caramalized apples @ Calvados, or mixed berries with a liquer, folded, topped with a sauce or plain whipped cream. They are always a hit. As are Cream Puffs, that I also try to keep in the freezer. They can also double as apps.

OK, have to check on supper.

--------------------

Mare749
Master Chef

#32590 - 05/14/07 06:49 PM

Lorraine, I didn't know Michael had a website. I like him too, so I'll check it out.

Vicci, Jean's pizza dough is the best and she has a great idea for grilling the pizza. You could form them into individual sizes and everyone could make their own. That sounds so good I think we'll do that this week!

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

foodfiend
Master Chef

#32597 - 05/14/07 08:15 PM

Lorraine, there are usually at least 2 couples, up to 4, staying and sometimes I ask the "fun" neighbors to stop by, too. I hit my limit last year with a total of 12 for dinner one evening (8 stayed overnight). No more! A strict limit of 8 for dinner will have to be enforced. haha.

Your suggestions sounded great. We are looking at a large grill (propane) to buy since our current charcoal grill is too small for more than Jack and me, and another couple. Therefore, I look forward to the vinegar-mopped chicken recipe! And the pananella salad, pretty please.

I have made muffuletta sandwiches and those were a big hit (roasted veggies than can be made two days before, and the sandwich assembled and wrapped the day before-- one of my best "finds" last summer):
http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=630156

I will put bruschetta on my list (which is getting nice and long, thanks to everyone's suggestions!).

I see an easier, though not any less delicious, summer on my horizon! You all are fantastic!

Maryann, I make grilled pizza at least once a week during the summer months (saves heating up my un-air-conditioned house), but I have a feeling that with guests I'd be so distracted they would burn. I have found that, with pizza on the grill, it's only a few short seconds between "delicious" and "ash".

Mare749
Master Chef

#32599 - 05/14/07 08:40 PM

"Maryann, I make grilled pizza at least once a week during the summer months (saves heating up my un-air-conditioned house), but I have a feeling that with guests I'd be so distracted they would burn. I have found that, with pizza on the grill, it's only a few short seconds between "delicious" and "ash"."

Aah, I see what you mean. I'll have to watch for that, haven't done this yet, but it sure sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the link to the muffaletta. We love those and needed a "lighter" version. I used to subscribe to Cooking Light and even have several cookbooks in my MasterCook. Don't know why we got away from those, they are usually excellent recipes. Glad you reminded me.

I think you have a good idea limiting your guests. You can always have a big end-of-the-summer party. (Pot-luck, of course!) And Christmas in July is always fun, too.

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32609 - 05/15/07 06:27 AM

Here's the Carolina Pulled Pork ( Mike R)

CAROLINA PULLED PORK

2 pork butts, 3 to 4 pounds each, untrimmed (can sub shoulders)

Sauce:
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses
1 head garlic, broken into unpeeled cloves
2 Tb. whole cumin seeds
3 Tb. whole coriander seeds
1 Tb. whole black peppercorns
8 small dried red chiles
2 bay leaves
3 Tb. tomato paste
3 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 quart distilled white vinegar
4 cups water
1/4 cup salt

Combine the honey, molasses, garlic, cumin, coriander, peppercorns, chiles and bay leaves in a large stockpot, over medium-low heat. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The garlic will darken, and the mixture will be very thick and fragrant. Add the tomato paste and tomatoes; cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the vinegar, water and salt. The sauce should be thin. Simmer, uncovered, for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Set aside half the sauce for marinating the pork. Let the remaining sauce cool and fish out any large pieces of garlic peel. Puree the remaining sauce in a blender (some spices will remain whole). The sauce should be rather watery and look like a brothy tomato soup.

One or two days before cooking (much preferably two), put the pork in a container just large enough to hold it and deep enough for the reserved sauce to cover it. Cover the container and refrigerate, turning the pork half-way through the marinating period.

At this point, you're finally ready to cook the pork. I have tried this in a number of methods and variations, but have settled on a two-step process that works great. I cook half-way in the oven (before basting is necessary and saving propane) and half-way on a grill using indirect heat (making it easier to baste and adding the barbecue flavor you need). The formula is 2 hours per pound (or cooked to an internal temperature between 150 to 160 degrees).

Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Put the pork, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Leave in oven three hours (for six pounds) or four hours (for eight pounds). Remove to pre-heated grill, but with low, indirect heat (should be about the same 200 degrees as your oven). Baste with the pureed sauce every 30 minutes, until done, turning once (this second half of cooking will take as long as the first, if your grill is correctly regulated). Let the pork cool.

Chop and shred the pork. You can either slice it or pull it apart with your fingers (thus the name, "pulled pork"). For slicing, cut the pork across the grain, in half-inch slices. For pulling, start pulling at the meat with a fork, then attack with your fingers. Discard any unrendered fat.

With a large knife, roughly chop the pork coarse. Put the chopped pork in a large bowl with some more of the pureed sauce; the amount is up to you (I'd go a little at a time, and test along the way). Serve the pork warm (no problem with a microwave; it's plenty juicy -- if you cooked it right) with a little more sauce on the side, for your bolder eaters.

I'm tellin' ya folks: This is a summertime treat that can't be beat. It's a lot of work and that's why I usually go 8 pounds, so I can freeze half and eat it a few months from now. I figure if I'm going to this much trouble, I might as well make as much as the sauce can handle (8 pounds being the top end). Enjoy and tell any friends in Asheville or Memphis that you've got 'em beat.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32611 - 05/15/07 06:36 AM

Here's two versions of the vinegar mop I use

From momof3

1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup canola oil
1 tbsp poultry seasoning
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp parsley
1/2 tsp black pepper
(I add a couple of shots of hot sauce...)

Whisk together. Soak chicken halves or pieces ( I use thighs and legs)in half the marinade for a minimum of 3 hours. Baste with remaining sauce while grilling.

This is Garlic John's. ( It looks a bit weird, someone reduced the recipe, otherwise it would have had to be made in a bathtub!!!)

Garlic John's chicken baste reduced to family size

3 cups + 3 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons + 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice
0.15 oz garlic powder
14.4 oz butter
1.6 oz salt
Mix these together and heat to blend.

I grill the chicken low and slow and mop often.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32612 - 05/15/07 06:43 AM

I make these little things and freeze them. Thaw as many as you need, then finish in the wine etc. They are nice and light, and make a great app.

Polpettini
1/2 lb ground veal
1/2 lb ground pork
2 tsps fresh sage, chopped
4 tbsp toasted pine nuts
2 eggs, lightly beaten
S & P to taste

Place ingredients in large bowl and mix by hand until ingredients are just combined. Form into small balls, no larger than an inch. Place on baking sheet. Place in a preheated 375 oven for 15 minutes. Remove, and drain on paper towel.

When ready to serve, heat 1/2 cup white wine with 4 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Bring to gentle boil. Add meatballs and cook until heated through. It won't take long. Add a good splash of fresh lemon juice.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32613 - 05/15/07 06:45 AM

Caramelized Onion Walnut Bruschetta

From BH&G Simply Perfect Grilling

1 large onion, halved length wise, and thinly sliced
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walmuts
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp Dijon
16 1/4 inch thick slices baguette
1/4 cup shredded parmesan or Romano cheese

For topping, in a large skillet, cook sliced onion in hot oil about 4 minutes until tender. Add walnuts amd sugar. Cook and stir for 5 to 8 minutes, until onion is slightly caramelized and walnuts are toasted. Stir in mustard.

Divide the opnion topping among the bread slices. Sprinkle with cheese.

Place bread slices, onion side up, on the grill rack directly over medium high heat, grill for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or just until bottoms are toasted, and slices are heated through. Watch carefully to avoid over browning. Makes 6 appetizer servings.

I used Asiago, and they were great. Didn't feed 8 of us, though.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32615 - 05/15/07 06:54 AM

Here's Chef June's Olive Salad that I use for the Muffulettas.

Olive Salad

1 1/2 cups chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
1 cup chopped black olives in oil
2/3 cup evoo
5 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped pimiento
2 anchovy fillets, mashed
1 tablespoons coarsely chopped capers
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)

In a glass, stainless steel or ceramic bowl, mix the olives, olive oil, parsley, pimiento, anchovies, garlic oregano, lemon juice and pepper together. Cover and marinate overnight.

When I assemble a Muffuletta, I cut the bread horizontally and pull out most of the soft insides. Then I drain the olive salad and brush the cut sides of the bread with the marinade. Then I put half the olive salad into the bottom of the bread, spreading it evenly. Next, I start layering the meats and cheeses……

That's how she does it.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32617 - 05/15/07 07:27 AM

And here's Chef Jean's Sweet Corn Coblets that are always a hit!!!!

SWEET CORN COBLETS
Noni Parker, friend and neighbor and great cook!

6 med. ears of corn, cut into 3/4" thick rounds
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup finely chopped onion
2-3 T. sugar
2 oz. jar chopped pimentos, drained
1 tsp each: mustard seeds and crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

In a 6-8 qt. pan, bring 4 qts. water to a boil over high heat.
Add corn; cover and cook till hot (2-3 minutes).
Drain & arrange in a 9X13" dish or rimmed serving platter.

In the same pan, combine vinegar, onion, sugar, pimentos, mustard seeds, red pepper, and salt.
Bring to a boil over high heat and cook till sugar is dissolved.
Pour over corn; let stand till cool, spooning mixture over corn frequently.
If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
Serve at room temp. 8-10 servings (no, I think about 4-6, these little devils are addictive!)

--------------------

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#32619 - 05/15/07 08:15 AM

Oh, I forgot that one!!!! it is time for that salad again!

You be makiing me very hungry, Lolly!!!!!

--------------------

Mare749
Master Chef

#32623 - 05/15/07 09:17 AM

Good recipes, Lorraine. Sounds like you know how to entertain!!! Thanks for posting.

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32641 - 05/15/07 03:37 PM

Thanks. I do a few large parties a year, and Jean has helped me out every time with menus etc. I owe her.

Another great tasting easy one , is a room temp pasta. The quantities can vary, depending on your taste. Try it out first first just the family, then improvise. Realy great when tomatoes are at their peak.

Rough chop some tomatoes. Add a good sprinkling of sea salt, and a handful of torn basil. Cover with a good quality olive oil. Cover it with saran, and let sit at room temp. closer to serving time, dice some mozz cheese, add it to the bowl, and stir. ( I've been using fresh). Cook pasta, (I always use spaghetti), drain, and add hot pasta to the sauce. The pasta will melt the cheese a bit. The flavours are just great. I love garlic, but I never add it to this dish. For me, it tends to overpower everything. ( I'm mentioning this, because I know Billy's tendancy to add 10 cloves to everything ) I have added in a bit of chopped chives though.

I just got really tired of spending my days inside cooking, while everyone else was out having fun. And, I was tired of sky high food bills. So, now, I still cook, but try to do as much on advance as possible, and at a lower cost.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32643 - 05/15/07 03:54 PM

Here's one from the LCBO Most can be done ahead of time.

Cantaloupe Salad with Crispy Prosciutto
1 medium cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and cut into sticks.
1/2 a large English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into sticks
3 Tbsp port
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp very finely grated fresh ginger
Coarse salt
8 pieces prosciutto

Preheat oven to 400F (200C)

Place the melon and cucumber sticks in a bowl and add the port, olive oil, ginger, and salt. Toss to mix, and leave to marinate 1 hour.

Meanwhile, cook proscuitto slices in oven for 10 minutes, turning once until crisp. Let cool.

Toss the melon and cucumber just before serving, and using a slotted spoon, divide the mixture between 4 plates. Top each with 2 slices of crispy prosciutto.

This was a really nice 1st course. They suggested serving it with Delaforce Rich Tawny Port, which we did. I'll do this again.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32644 - 05/15/07 04:01 PM

I've done this one for both brunch or lunch. Great with a salad, and a glass of wine.

When I saw this one in the April Gourmet magazine, I almost glossed over it, until I noticed it was from Bistro Jeanty. I remember Jean telling us about a great lunch she had there ( kippers, sardines, something??), so decided to give it a try. I used a frozen pie crust. I was on holidays,ya know? And I didn't have creme fraiche, so subbed sour creme mixed with cream. ??

1 round of refrigerated pie dough for a 9 inch pie, ( from a 15 oz package) not a preshaped frozen pie shell
3/4 lb leeks, ( about 3 medium, white and pale green part only)
2 Tbsps unsalted butter
1/4 lb thinly sliced smoked ham
3 oz Gruyere, coarsely grated, about 1 Cup
3 oz Italian Fontina, coarsely grated, about 1 cup
3 oz whole milk mozzarella, coarsely grated, about 1 Cup
3 large eggs
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 3/4 cups creme fraiche

Prebake pie dough in pieplate according to package instructions, then remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350F.

Meanwhile, halve leeks lenghtwise and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces, then wash well in bowl of cold water, agitating leeks. ( Their words, not mine). Lift out and drain leeks in a colander and pat dry. Melt butter in a 10 inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat and cook leeks, stirring occasionally until very tender, about 10 minutes.

Line warm pie shell with sliced ham, overlapping layers as necessary to cover bottom and side of shell completely. Toss cheeses together and sprinkle evenly into pie shell ( do not pack cheese ), then spread leeks evenly on top of cheese. Whisk together eggs, nutmeg, pepper until combined well, then whisk in creme fraiche until smooth.

Carefully pour half of custard filling on top of pie filling, gently moving cheese with a spoon to help custard disperse evenly. Slowly add remaining custard in same manner. Cover pie loosely with foil, gently folding edges over crust, ( keep foil from touching top of cheese mixture) and transfer to a baking sheet.

Bake until centre of filling is puffed and set ( centre will be slightly wobbly but not set, about 1 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours). Cool on a rack at least 20 - 30 minutes before serving ( filling will continue to set as it cools) Serve warm or at room temperature.

The leftovers were great cut into thin slivers that night, and seved with a mustard sauce as an app. The oven may have been way off, I had no way of knowing, I took it out after 1 hour. I'll do this one again.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32645 - 05/15/07 04:06 PM

I like to keep a jug of cold soup in th fridge so folks can help themselves. Here's one we really like.

Asian Carrot Soup

Another sweet recipe lifted from the Sun with carrots AND sweet potatoes. How ya gonna say no to that?
Asian Carrot Soup

Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: about 30 minutes
Servings: 6
Ingredients:
1 1/2 tsps. Asian toasted sesame oil
10 large green onions, sliced
1 pound carrots, sliced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger root, peeled
1 tsp. salt
Freshly ground white pepper
Snipped fresh chives for garnish

1. Heat oil in 3-quart pot over medium-high heat; add onions. Cook until softened, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, sweet potato, broth and water. Heat to boil; reduce heat to simmer. Cook, covered, until vegetables are mushy, about 25 minutes.

2. Strain broth from solids; reserve broth. Puree solids with ginger, salt and pepper in processor or blender until smooth. Add 1 cup broth; puree about 1 minute more. Stir puree into remaining broth. Taste; adjust seasoning. 3. Serve chilled or hot garnished with snipped chives.
Nutritional information per serving: 85 calories; 19 percent of calories from fat; 2 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 17 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 1,029 mg. sodium; 4 grams fiber.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32648 - 05/15/07 04:57 PM

Maybe I should stop before I get kicked out of the nest. But, I'm going to start two new threads when I get a chance, still on the same subject.

--------------------

Mare749
Master Chef

#32652 - 05/15/07 05:31 PM

Gosh, Lorraine, what's the chance of being adopted by you??? Great sounding food. Do you let your guests bring something?

Another thing I'm curious about....How many of you out there let your company cook with you? My brother loves to shop and cook with me when he visits.

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

HomeCulinarian
Master Chef

#32654 - 05/15/07 06:11 PM

Looking forward to receiving the MasterCook software I ordered so I can start downloading these great new recipes into my "library".

bjcotton
Master Chef

#32655 - 05/15/07 06:46 PM

My sister Marilee likes to cook with me when we're staying at her house...BUT, you'll have to be the second child Maryann, I'm first She had me before she was born, before she was even thought of.

--------------------

Billy

foodfiend
Master Chef

#32665 - 05/15/07 09:08 PM

Lorraine, I'm breathless-- thank you so much for posting all of these recipes! The File is growing larger and larger.

And, to answer Maryann's question, I don't mind guests helping if they know what they're doing! What I really don't like, though, is cooking while my guests watch me. It's unnerving and I tend to cut myself.

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

farnfam
Master Chef

Reged: 03/30/03
Loc: Northern NY
      #32672 - 05/15/07 10:25 PM

In answer to Maryann, I like to have guests help assemble ravioli. I like to do the sheets of pasta and have the riccotta already mixed, then they shape, fill, and press out the little goodies onto cookie sheets and silpats which seem to fill every surface in the kitchen. Then we boil them up and serve with sauce I'd have made in the morning. MMmmmm, yumm think I'm starting to crave ravioli
Cis

--------------------
Cis
Empress for Life

Mare749
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: farnfam]
      #32673 - 05/15/07 10:35 PM

That's what I'm talking about!!! It's great fun! And yes, now I want some ravioli!

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#32682 - 05/16/07 08:03 AM

Once we had remodeled the last kitchen, it was a lot of fun to cook with friends and this one is large enuf we can do here also! (I'm learning to play well with others... )

Those dishes all sound wonderful, Lorraine - when you start another thread, I'll toss some out also. I love summer entertaining too!

--------------------

Mare749
Master Chef

#32694 - 05/16/07 10:51 AM

Jean, somebody has to be in charge. Since it's your kitchen, that would be you! And if you come to visit me, I will gladly hand over the golden spoon!

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

farnfam
Master Chef

#32695 - 05/16/07 12:37 PM

Me too Jean. I (one of the still nameless) will gladly bow to the Pooh Bah's skill and authority and relinquish the golden spoon, scepter of the kitchen. Hopefully, knowing that will entice you and Roy to travel up this way sometime
Cis

--------------------
Cis
Empress for Life

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#32696 - 05/16/07 03:07 PM

Maryanne & Cis, couldn't we just have a heck of time in the kitchen!! Full retirement kicks in May 31st, but now that we've planted so damn many veggies and herbs, we have to stick around till the end of the summer, then we're off to unknown places, sites and kitchens!!!

--------------------

Mare749
Master Chef

#32697 - 05/16/07 03:10 PM

Sip a little wine, do a little cookin'.....Oh, yeah!

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32708 - 05/16/07 06:02 PM

Maryanne & Cis, couldn't we just have a heck of time in the kitchen!!

I asked first!!! LOL Ya'll have to come here!!!

--------------------

bjcotton
Master Chef

#32709 - 05/16/07 06:31 PM

We have been saying all this for years and few of us have gotten together....YET! I've cooked with Jean, Roy, Tracie, Sharon, Lorraine and Dale, but would give my eyeteeth to cook with the rest of you...in small groups I get the jitters in large groups. At one of Jean's Last Party on the Hill parties, there were lots of people and I just lost how I had planned to make my two dishes [simple as they were] look pretty. With lots of people I tend to stand back and watch...but there's nothing wrong with that either, it's all a joy.

--------------------

Billy

foodfiend
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: bjcotton]
      #32720 - 05/16/07 08:43 PM

Okay, how can I get you all to come visit and cook with me (since I know I'm talking to those who can cook!) at the lake house?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pde052a0c8b91b722a04ffaae7d654128/ea4a6897.jpg

Bribery-- boat rides, bear sightings, pretty views, fully-stocked bar... what's your weakness?!?

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

Mare749
Master Chef

#32723 - 05/16/07 08:56 PM

They all sound good except for the bears, maybe. I had enough of those when we camped! I remember one being chased across the creek by a little poodle yapping her head off. Brave little pup!

Nice vacation home, Vicci. I just had a thought. You could only invite people to your lake house that like to cook! That would really make your life easy.

Maryann

--------------------
Maryann

foodfiend
Master Chef

#32726 - 05/16/07 09:22 PM

Quote:

They all sound good except for the bears, maybe. I had enough of those when we camped! I remember one being chased across the creek by a little poodle yapping her head off. Brave little pup!

Nice vacation home, Vicci. I just had a thought. You could only invite people to your lake house that like to cook! That would really make your life easy.

Maryann

A poodle chasing a bear! I would have loved to see that!

I do have a couple of friends who like to cook, and who I enjoy cooking with, but for the most part, not a lot of my friends would "make the cut". Which would eliminate the reason for this thread!

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

bjcotton
Master Chef

#32728 - 05/16/07 10:15 PM

I make a pretty good sous chef Vicci. A little slow, but I get there. I love to watch other people cook too, throwing my $.02 in on occasion

--------------------

Billy

Lorraine
Master Chef

#32731 - 05/17/07 05:56 AM

Oh my, what a gorgeous place!!! Isn't PA close to Virginia?

--------------------

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#32740 - 05/17/07 07:14 AM

a bottle of red on the counter and I'm there!!! Very nice looking place, Vicci.

Let's see, Billy can make the souffle and whip the cream...

--------------------

foodfiend
Master Chef

#32765 - 05/17/07 02:19 PM

Billy, I love having a sous chef, especially one who can tell me if I'm about to do something wrong!

Lorraine, the house is in northern WV, so it shouldn't be much of a drive at all!

And

CJ, I'm surprised that there isn't a bottle of red (one? Ha!) on the counter in the photo. Must have cleaned up for the picture...

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

bjcotton
Master Chef

#32767 - 05/17/07 02:29 PM

Well Jean, since I've never made the souffle yet guess I'd better get busy. I'll make one up at Marilee's when I get there next week.

--------------------

Billy

scoop40dog
Saute Chef

Reged: 10/29/03
      #32776 - 05/17/07 04:38 PM

To all out there. I too used to do a lot of gourmet entertaining. I am young at 55 and had a heart attack. My friends that I entertain are just happy to have me here and do not care what I serve. Life is too short. Enjoy your friends. They would be happy having a PBJ sandwich if they truly love you for their friendship....

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: scoop40dog]
      #32783 - 05/17/07 06:40 PM

hey there 'scoop' - 90 posts!! have you been away from the forums for a long time?? If so, welcome back and stick around!

--------------------

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#47595 - 01/19/08 05:10 PM

I love the threads that the 'anons' find!! This is another one - Vicci had just come aboard and it sure was a fun and food filled thread.

--------------------

Lorraine
Master Chef

#47676 - 01/21/08 06:25 AM

I have this thread as a "reminder". Lots of great recipes here!

--------------------

pjcooks
Master Chef

#47761 - 01/21/08 06:02 PM

Quote:

Yes, there were, Lorraine, and another good reminder to myself to slow down a bit and stop to smell the roses. Seems I need automatic brakes on myself every now and again. These recipes are worth keeping on hand.

I don't think we've heard from Vicci lately, have we? But, life gets busy, we all understand that.

PJ

Gourmet_Mom
Master Chef

Reged: 11/29/07
Loc: Southeastern North Carolina
      #47769 - 01/21/08 09:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, there were, Lorraine, and another good reminder to myself to slow down a bit and stop to smell the roses. Seems I need automatic brakes on myself every now and again. These recipes are worth keeping on hand.

I don't think we've heard from Vicci lately, have we? But, life gets busy, we all understand that.

PJ

This is enough to give somebody goose bumps...deja vue? (OK, spell check can't find that one. )

--------------------
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Lorraine
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Gourmet_Mom]
      #57924 - 05/30/08 07:21 AM

To the top for Maryann! (She couldn't find it. )

--------------------

Mare749
Master Chef

#57973 - 05/30/08 10:23 PM

Thanks Lorraine, this is a keeper!

--------------------
Maryann

Old Bay
Master Chef

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Central Texas
      #57974 - 05/30/08 11:13 PM

You're close enough to Va.--get some peanuts--Jimmy Carters can't compete--his are used for peanut butter--Va.'s for munching--with a little whiskey.

--------------------
Hospitality: Making your guests feel at home, even when you wish they were.

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Old Bay]
      #63057 - 08/19/08 08:04 AM

to the top for Corey - you'll find all kinds of easy gr

what the heck happened to the rest of my msg??? -

....all kinds of easy great party ideas - you'll certainly find all the suggestions you'll ever need for his birthday dinner!! have fun.

--------------------

Edited by cjs (08/19/08 08:33 AM)

labradors
Master Chef

Reged: 07/14/07
Loc: Florida
      #63060 - 08/19/08 08:27 AM

Quote:

When will someone post a message "Need weekend guests to serve this menu"? ;-)

--------------------
It's called "Bach choy" because "Beethoven choy" is too difficult to say.

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: labradors]
      #63065 - 08/19/08 09:05 AM

OH MY LORD!!! I just spent a half hour going thru this thread again. What a great bunch of ideas - and Lorraine, there are two of yours I haven't made yet - I had forgotten about them.

Polpettini and the Asian Carrot Soup - on my radar now, tho.

--------------------

farnfam
Master Chef

#63075 - 08/19/08 11:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When will someone post a message "Need weekend guests to serve this menu"? ;-)

That would be me, Rob. It's so rural here, there are way more cows than people. It's hard to get a crowd together here, particularly a bunch that is adventurous about food.
Cis
Empress for Life

--------------------
Cis
Empress for Life

labradors
Master Chef

Reged: 07/14/07
Loc: Florida
      #63094 - 08/19/08 04:45 PM

Quote:

It's hard to get a crowd together here, particularly a bunch that is adventurous about food.

If you think THAT's a challenge, try getting people to fly to a third-world country. LOL!

--------------------
It's called "Bach choy" because "Beethoven choy" is too difficult to say.

HomeCulinarian
Master Chef

#63109 - 08/19/08 05:57 PM

This reminds me that Vicci hasn't posted for a while...

Gourmet_Mom
Master Chef

#63112 - 08/19/08 06:13 PM

Well, Cis and Labs, I'm in your camp...got food and menus...need guests...LOL!

Thanks for this Jean. This was one of the threads I was thinking about for Cory! There's a couple more...hopefully you or she found them. PJ's parties, Denise's graduation "do" and somebody else....gorgeous prom pictures....oh oh oh....can't get it...I remember the story, but not the member....Meg? I am soooo sorry! I'll go look them up when I get through catching up.

AH HA! HomeCulinerian! I'll still try to drag up their party menu plans.

--------------------
Daphne

Edited by Gourmet_Mom (08/19/08 06:18 PM)

Gourmet_Mom
Master Chef

#106562 - 08/21/10 12:44 PM

Jean, is this the one you were thinking of? I'll keep looking.

Up to the top for Cis!

--------------------
Daphne

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#106567 - 08/21/10 04:02 PM

Yes!! What a great thread and how many times have we brought it up now????

--------------------

Ennui
Saute Chef

Reged: 12/30/09
      #106583 - 08/21/10 07:59 PM

Here are 2 more GREAT threads!

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...page=0&vc=1

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...page=0&vc=1

Jan

--------------------
Jan (aka Half Baked)

foodfiend
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Ennui]
      #106584 - 08/21/10 08:09 PM

Okay, is there a way on this site to save your favorite threads, or do I continue to cut-and-paste the URL to a word document?

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

luvnit
Master Chef

Reged: 08/26/07
      #106588 - 08/21/10 08:52 PM

Vicci,

At the bottom the the thread you will see the Post Extras and hit the finger with the string on it.

Or if you post to a thread you can hit the check box 'add to favorite threads'.

--------------------
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Edited by luvnit (08/21/10 08:56 PM)

foodfiend
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: luvnit]
      #106593 - 08/21/10 09:27 PM

Thanks, Laura-- that is sure easier than the cut & paste!

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

Mare749
Master Chef

#106597 - 08/21/10 10:31 PM

And thank you Jan! Please jump in more often!!!

--------------------
Maryann

Old Bay
Master Chef

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Central Texas
      #106598 - 08/21/10 10:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Laura-- that is sure easier than the cut & paste!

I learned something too, thanks!! (Laura)

--------------------
Hospitality: Making your guests feel at home, even when you wish they were.

cjsModerator
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Old Bay]
      #106605 - 08/22/10 08:50 AM

We have certainly had some wonderful ideas shared here over the years!! I'm so impressed with all of us.

--------------------

farnfam
Master Chef

#106611 - 08/22/10 09:38 AM

Wow thanks!!! Lots of great stuff here too. I may have to invite more people, so I can cook more...

--------------------
Cis
Empress for Life

foodfiend
Master Chef

#106613 - 08/22/10 09:41 AM

Oh, by the way, I suppose that I should admit that I still am very controlling about the meals I serve, and who helps and/ or contributes... but not quite as much (hey, I'm making progress!).

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

foodfiend
Master Chef

#109988 - 10/24/10 07:42 PM

I was at first worried that I had forgotten to post the recipes which Denise had asked for on the first page of this thread, but then realized that I put them on a separate post. I'll add that link here (if nothing else, to remind me the next time this thread is resurrected!!!).
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=106563&Main=33413

Honestly, I cannot believe that I did this menu. How could I have been so much more energetic only a few years ago?

--------------------
Vicci

my cooking adventures

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#110011 - 10/25/10 08:19 AM

That was a great menu, Vicci!

--------------------

Harborwitch
Master Chef

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: Wherever IKID2 is parked
      #110019 - 10/25/10 10:24 AM

I love that menu! That is my absolute favorite guacamole, hmmmmmmm - must keep this in mind for a summer party.

--------------------
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

luvnit
Master Chef

Reged: 08/26/07
Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Harborwitch]
      #117841 - 02/24/11 06:20 AM

I was reading this post yesterday since I am looking for ideas for another dinner party. just thought I would bring it up for all to view. I think I want to make that caviar pie Jean suggested.

--------------------
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Lorraine
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: luvnit]
      #117847 - 02/24/11 07:57 AM

I have served Jean's Caviar Pie several times, always to rave reviews.

--------------------

cjsModerator
Master Chef

#117855 - 02/24/11 09:13 AM

That was always A Chef's Journey's favorite!! If you make it, Laura, let me know how you like it.

--------------------

Harborwitch
Master Chef

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: Wherever IKID2 is parked
      #117872 - 02/24/11 02:36 PM

OH YES!!! The Caviar Pie!!!! Oh yes. Sooo good, easy. My brain is just reveling in the idea of Caviar Pie! Mmmmmmmm. Jean fixed this when Bob and I visited her on the Hill one time. Yummmmmmm.

--------------------
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Lorraine
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: Harborwitch]
      #138472 - 07/22/12 02:25 PM

Here's another great thread for mlm!

ETA OK, not many appetizers, but I had completely forgotten about Jean's Sweet Corn Cobletts ( I bet she has also!!!). Time to make them again, and a few other things listed here!

--------------------

Edited by Lorraine (07/22/12 02:34 PM)

Mare749
Master Chef

#138479 - 07/22/12 04:16 PM

This was one of our better threads! Sure wish Vicci would come back, too.

--------------------
Maryann

karyn
Master Chef

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: Alpharetta, Georgia
      #138480 - 07/22/12 04:53 PM

I remember this one, although I wasn't around for the original post...Vicci had some great ideas!!

i'm going to go read through this start to finish...

Gourmet_Mom
Master Chef

Re: Need menu suggestions for weekend guests! [Re: karyn]
      #138481 - 07/22/12 04:56 PM

Not only is it good, there's a link to an appetizer thread that goes WAY back that's great! I think there's more than one link, but the appetizer one is especially good.

--------------------
Daphne

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cuisine, Brian, cjs 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 15794

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement Cuisine at Home