New Summer Side Dishes
  Re: (...)
It's just about that time - and that means we all need some new ideas. I've been on the road for 6 weeks, so all my new summer magazines I'm sure are starting to pile up at home with new ideas.

I'll start this thread out with one I may have posted last summer, don't remember, but it's a good one and one that you just keep nibbling on....

SWEET CORN COBLETS - NONIE

I was lucky enuf to drag my birthday out for over a week and the best new dish I was treated to was by a neighbor who made a wonderful birthday dinner for me.

SWEET CORN COBLETS
Noni Parker, friend and neighbor and great cook!

6 med. ears of corn, cut into 3/4" thick rounds
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup finely chopped onion
2-3 T. sugar
2 oz. jar chopped pimentos, drained
1 tsp each: mustard seeds and crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

In a 6-8 qt. pan, bring 4 qts. water to a boil over high heat.
Add corn; cover and cook till hot (2-3 minutes).
Drain & arrange the corn in a 9X13" dish or rimmed serving platter.

In the same pan, combine vinegar, onion, sugar, pimentos, mustard seeds, red pepper, and salt.
Bring to a boil over high heat and cook till sugar is dissolved.
Pour over corn; let stand till cool, spooning mixture over corn frequently.

If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
Serve at room temp. 8-10 servings (no, I think about 4-6, these little devils are addictive!)

I hope this thread goes forever!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: New Summer Side Dishes by cjs (It's just about that...)
Martha Stewart had something similar - had chipotle chiles and were really good. I am not allowed to make them - it required 3 or 4 stitches in a finger. And, that's all I'll share.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: New Summer Side Dishes by Harborwitch (Martha Stewart had s...)
Thanks Jean. DH loves fresh corn so much he can make a meal out of it. Wait till he tastes this one!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New Summer Side Dishes by Harborwitch (Martha Stewart had s...)
Quote:

I am not allowed to make them - it required 3 or 4 stitches in a finger. And, that's all I'll share.

Before I even got to your post, I was wondering how many fingers I'd have left trying to cut corncobs

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: New Summer Side Dishes by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I have a pumpkin cutter, a brilliant thing. It is like a hand guillotene, but the blade is mounted centrally. Even an office hand G. would work better than carving your hands up.
  Re: Re: New Summer Side Dishes by vannin (I have a pumpkin cut...)

Aha! brilliant idea, an excuse to buy a new gadget!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: New Summer Side Dishes by pjcooks ([br]Aha! brilliant ...)
PJ, what her cutter is like is one of those wooden paper cutters we used to use in school. The exception is the blade is in the middle of the board instead of at one side and the end of the blade is hinged so you can raise and lower it. Sure would be handy!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: New Summer Side Dishes by bjcotton (PJ, what her cutter ...)

Thanks for the explanation, Billy.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: New Summer Side Dishes by bjcotton (PJ, what her cutter ...)
Sure is handy Billy, I use it for a lot of things, from pumpkins to carrot to cabbage. A whole cabbage can be quite daunting. Great for corn cobs, big onions, even shredding silver beet and lettuce. Any hard veg is so easy, and its a bit of a giggle about lettuce, but if it on the bench nothing is safe.
  Re: New Summer Side Dishes by cjs (It's just about that...)
For crying out loud you guys!!! EIGHT replies and not one new side dish offering????????

Nice tender cobs and a sharp knife...no problem.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com