North Dakota Food!
  Re: (...)
This has been an education that is going to be ongoing. Luckily part of my heritage hails from the same background that seems to predominate the food culture here. (Yes Jean, I contemplating a project here)

Grocery shopping has been interesting. So far we've hit the Walmart Superstore (not so good, almost no fresh veggies, nothing but low fat or non-fat yogurt, etc. The next store was the little general store in town. Food with dates on the package are good, without dates . . . don't! Then we found a grocery in Bismarck that reminded me of a Whole Foods. Pricey, but a varied stock. (Lesson learned: don't eat cold soggy "fried" catfish being hawked by an elderly man who has never had catfish before! Blech! Poor Bob)

North Dakota is quite the grain growing state. The store in Bismarck (must go back when I get my pantry setup) had a wide variety of grain products produced here, most of them organic. Lots and lots of different flours!

Medina is a tiny town, 325 people. We've eaten twice at the local little bar - the second time we had this soup. OMG! This is German Russian food at it's best. It can be made with good chicken stock instead of the bouillon.

Knoephla Soup

1 Tbl. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
6 cups water
3 Tbl. chicken base
1 bay leaf
4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 pint half and half or milk
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 small bag knoephla dumplings ( about 1 1/2 lbs.)

In a medium-sized soup kettle, saute onion in butter. Add
water, chicken base, bay leaf, potatoes, and knoephla. Bring
to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add milk or half
and half and seasonings, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Remove
bay leaf.

Makes 12 cups.

For those who prefer to make their own knoephla rather that
buy the frozen ones, this is how I do it.

1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup water

Mix above ingredients and cut into boiling soup.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: North Dakota Food! by Harborwitch (This has been an edu...)
That's interesting....the dumplings mixed with the potatoes. It almost sounded like a cream of potato soup, but then I got to the bay leaf. I'll have to give this a try this winter. Some folks around here do something similar, minus the bay leaf, but it's a green bean side dish with potatoes and corn meal dumplings in it.

Regarding the grocery stores...welcome to my world!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: North Dakota Food! by Harborwitch (This has been an edu...)
Dumplings,low fat, no fresh veggis, German/Russian soup (they never got along, what would that fusion cuisine do to your stomach? War?). I would not do well in ND. When we get together maybe we could meet in Idaho--just kidding--good luck kids!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food! by Old Bay (Dumplings,low fat, n...)
I'm going to try to buy locally grown food and avoid stuff imported from far far away. It will be easier next year, after Vicki, Bob, and I get the garden in and a greenhouse going. Luckily high quality frozen veggies are available and things like cabbage, beets, parsnips, turnips, etc. are available. Poblano peppers are 4.99 a lb. , potatoes are a bit higher. I was always curious as to why John and his Ma always brought as many oranges and nuts as they could get in his vehicle. Now I know why!

I was amazed to see that curing salts, sausage casings, etc. are widely available. There's an elk farm down the road. He raises the elk for the antlers (Asian trade). I've heard that he does sell the elk meat.

There were some ethnic foods in the grocery, mostly the common things. Someone said that there are a lot of Vietnamese in some towns (manicures, pedicures, etc) so I figure there must be stores that sell the more esoteric items.

The history here is that the Germans in Alsace moved to Russia because of difficulties in Germany and the promises the Russians made ("kept" could have been a different story). When it all went in the toilet many of them moved to Iceland, and here to the Northern Plains states. The food is heavy, farm food & fuel for a long day in the fields, and long cold nights. Breakfast is big and early. Dinner, the big meal, is at noon. Supper is in the evening. I am learning so much - and some of it pertains to my family (who emigrated from Alsace to America).

You will have to come here. Or maybe we could meet in the middle and give LJ a hard time. I guess "Spring" is totally magic, whenever it occurs. Right now the wormwood and prairie grasses are still growing. The scent of the wormwood is beautiful but the farmers hate it, it's a pest.

Uh, Idaho isn't much different. Montana ranchers retired there. The worst snow of the trip was in Idaho. Did I mention that butter is under 2.00 a lb??? Evidently the cows here are happier than California cows.
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food! by Harborwitch (I'm going to try to ...)
I have always lived in one part of the country, and am amazed when I hear that a friend has moved to another area and is having trouble adjusting to what food is available. I guess it is not uncommon! But little fresh veggies (and it's not even February)... I'll bet that you can't wait to get that greenhouse going!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food! by Harborwitch (I'm going to try to ...)
Sounds like you are adjusting just fine, Sharon! Good for you! I can't help but wonder how the puggies are doing tho. Poor babies, how are they handling the cold after living in a warm climate?

Very interesting to hear about the history and people in an area that many of us know so little about, but would love to see one day. Sounds like you will have to do some creative cooking this winter, but you sure will enjoy that garden next summer. I would be very interested in hearing all about the planning.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food! by foodfiend (I have always lived ...)
Getting used to the seasons will be a challenge, but the greenhouse will help A LOT! I'm glad you're getting closer to your roots...sounds exciting!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food! by Mare749 (Sounds like you are ...)
The Puggies are fine. They've figured out that sleeping with Mom and Dad is the trick. When it's really really cold we bundle them up in their sweaters - they aren't too sure about the snow. Opie on the other hand, loves the snow and the cold. Catface doesn't go outside, however peeing in my bedroom may change that.
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food! by Harborwitch (The Puggies are fine...)
I know you can get beef up there--make some beef carbonnade with noodles--great cold weather food!! For quickies I'll send you some "Wolf" brand chili (no beans) If you're interested PM me with where to send some.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food! by Old Bay (I know you can get b...)
Oh Sharon it does my heart good to hear you're settling in I still can't wait to see pictures.