Prime rib dinner
  Re: (...)
Hi,

I am making a prime rib for New Year. ANybody has a recipe they love? I have never made prime rib before.

Thanks
  Re: Prime rib dinner by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]I am maki...)
Me either and I've always wanted to. Costco has some really nice cuts and my grocer had a great price but they ran out. DOH!

I love a good peppercorn crusted prime rib myself. **drools**
A little while ago I was asking about dry-aged prime rib roasts. I always do one on New Year's Day, but just a regular one, not a dry-aged one

At the end of this thread is how I cook a 2 pounder for the hubby and me and it always comes out spot on!

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post67362

Barbara

EDIT to add: In the middle of the thread I decribe Shirley Corriher's method for cooking the roast.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Not a recipe, really, but this is what I did a few days ago. I got a small end cut to begin with. Then I peppered it, a lot, a bit of celery salt, too. Put it in the oven cold, turned the oven on to 200 degrees then let it cook low and slow. ( I had a 3 1/2 pounder) It was perfect in about 2 1/2-3 hours. Didn't produce much juice, but I made an au jus of sorts earlier, using oxtail and beef and chicken stock.

It was wonderful, the end pieces were just as med rare as the middle. You don't get the deep brown crust this way but you could always give it a quick sear stovetop when you remove it from the oven, CI says this won't affect the internal temp, though I haven't tried it yet.

Hope this helps!

PJ
PJ
Quote:

Hi,

I am making a prime rib for New Year. ANybody has a recipe they love? I have never made prime rib before.

Thanks

I like a Thyme, Rosemary, Onion powder, Pepper and Salt rub for it. If you are going to oven roast it is a nice seasoning for it. This cut of meat is so perfect with its marble that it will cook itself for the most part.

I like 325 F oven temp and pull the rib at 128 F.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Prime rib dinner by bbally ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Marina, this is how I did them at Forest House - especially good if there is a nice layer of fat to trim off and cover the onions and rosemary with.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PRIME RIB - FOREST HOUSE VERSION

Recipe By: ForestHouse Lodge via a Chef's Journey

Trim and save fat for covering.
On each Prime Rib - Salt & pepper, sliced red onions (1 per roast), 4-5 sprigs of Rosemary
Cover with strips of fat

Bake in preheated 425° oven for 30 min.
Reduce heat to 350° and continue cooking for 2 hours - start temping after 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from oven when 125° is reached, tent and let sit for at least 20 min.

FOREST HOUSE COMPOUND BUTTER:
1 bunch rosemary, stripped & Pecans, toasted & broken - process to very small pcs, but not paste.
Toast together and let cool.

In a processor, whip butter and add the rosemary mix + s&p + blue cheese
Wrap in a log and chill for service.

HORSERADISH AND CREAM - mix together and keep for service.

NOTES : 1 prime rib = 15-18 whole slices. Best served cut in half.

-----

If you don't have a whole prime rib, I would adjust the time at 425 to about half and start temping after 40-45 minutes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
My MIL cooked prime rib for Christmas Eve dinner. It was... how can I put this... It was OK, but it was very 'well done'. Not a hue of pink, not a drop of juice left in the lovely 13 lb. roast. Then it was sliced with an electric knife into paper thin slices.

Let's just say, this is not how I like to do it. I found a recipe used by Paul Deen, that has worked like a charm! I love it and the roast comes out perfect every time, no matter what size the roast is, you cook it for the same amount of time. The first time I saw this on TV I had to try it. I have done it this way ever since.

Paul Deen Food Network Foolproof Standing Rib Roast
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Prime rib dinner by luvnit (My MIL cooked prime ...)
Laura, that recipe really does make it look easy to get it right, but are you sure it doesn't matter what size roast you are using? I've never gotten a 5 lb. rib roast before. They are always more like 10 lbs. Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Prime rib dinner by Mare749 (Laura, that recipe r...)
Yes, I am positive. Last year I was on this forum looking for prime rib advice when I saw the show. The recipe doesn't state it, but that's what she says while she's cooking it ("It works for any size roast"). It's FOOLPROOF. I did a 12-13 lb. roast last year the exact same way. I also did a 7 lb. the same way.

Paula also had a Shrimp Mashed Potato that was to die for.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Prime rib dinner by luvnit (Yes, I am positive. ...)
The Paula Deen method is the one I use too and I agree, it does come out perfect. I get a lot of compliments. I think the only time it would not work is if the roast were smaller than 5 pounds.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!