Rich Turkey Stock for Gravy
  Re: (...)
I don’t know about you all, but I never seem to have enough ‘goop’ to make enough gravy to be able to have a little for leftovers. So, thought I’d throw this idea out for all of us. How about making up a batch of really rich turkey stock – if you want, you could even use chicken parts.

5-6 lbs. turkey (or chicken) parts, such as wings, thighs and drumsticks
Cold water to cover, 4 – 6 qts.
8 oz. onion, thickly sliced
4 oz. carrot, thickly sliced
4 oz. celery, thickly sliced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
A sachet made up of a bay leaf, couple sprigs of thyme, 3 or 4 parsley stems, 3 or 4 peppercorns and a whole clove, tied together in a square of cheese cloth
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large roasting pan, roast the turkey parts for 1 1/2 hours, or until well browned. (Note: if using a roasted carcass, the process will take a shorter time)

NOTE: there are two ways to go here - either roast the poultry parts in a roaster large enough to be able to also cook up the stock, or after adding the poultry parts to the vegetables in a large stock pot, deglaze the roasting pan with water to get all the flavor from roasting the parts.

While the poultry is roasting, sauté the mirepoix (onions, carrot, celery) in olive oil until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown in a large stock pot. Add the roasted poultry parts to the mirepoix along with the garlic, salt, the sachet and cold water to cover and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover partially and simmer the stock for about 2 1/2 - 2 hours. Add water if needed to keep all covered.

Strain the stock and skim the fat before using or freezing.

The best way I find to be able to remove the fat is to chill the strained stock overnight and the fat will solidify on the top and is very easy to remove.

The stock can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 1 month.
-----
Now, you have as much wonderful stock to add to your gravy making as you want. And, if you make it now, you’ll have it in the freezer for Christmas also!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Rich Turkey Stock for Gravy by cjs (I don’t know about y...)
I'm going to see if the grocery store has cheap turkey parts. Then I can make soups with the stock. Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Rich Turkey Stock for Gravy by Lorraine (I'm going to see if ...)
I wish they'd actually sell the turkey goop in a container at the holidays - we always either smoke or rotisserie cook our turkey and have no drippings. So far we use a packaged turkey gravy mix and it is good enough, but I always wish I had a way to get that goop otherwise!
  Re: Re: Rich Turkey Stock for Gravy by carolekv (I wish they'd actual...)
"packaged turkey gravy mix" - bite your tongue young lady!!

Try it with a good rich stock and I think you'd be happier, maybe...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
When I make stock using the carcass the bones are already roasted right?
  Re: Re: Rich Turkey Stock for Gravy by lxxf (When I make stock us...)
Not enough. You can go with raw turkey/chicken parts or using the carcass, but I always roast the carcass, it just intensifies the flavors. I'll go reword that part...
www.achefsjourney.com
Usually by this point, I've had my turkey stock in the freezer for a few weeks, but work is getting in the way this year (as well as a very full freezer)

Hell, don't even know what I'm doing for T-Day yet, kind of crept up on me this year. Maybe I can get my stock done this weekend, cleaning can wait, I guess.

I can't get enough fond either, Jean. Haven't figured out why.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Rich Turkey Stock for Gravy by cjs (Not enough. You can ...)
but I always roast the carcass

Jean, I think it was from you that I got the idea from to roast my bones. The flavour is so much better. But, maybe I won't make it this weekend. Checked the freezer, and I have 8 bags of it from our Thanksgiving.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Rich Turkey Stock for Gravy by Lorraine (but I always roast t...)
"check your freezer" - see????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rich Turkey Stock for Gravy by cjs ("check your freezer"...)
The C@H Holiday Menus book had this make-ahead gravy. I was going to try it - as well as make gravy from my drippings. That way I should be covered. I can only get necks at my grocery - so might add a few chicken wings.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Make-Ahead Gravy

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Turkey Stock
6 pounds Turkey wings and necks
5 each rib celery -- chopped
1 onion -- chopped
1 head garlic -- halved
Add
12 cups chicken broth

For the Gravy
Melt; whisk in:
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Gradually add; Finish with:
8 cups turkey stock
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper -- to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Saute turkey wings and necks, celery, onion and garlic in a roasting pan
on top of the stove over medium-high heat until beginning to brown.

Transfer to oven, roast 45 minutes, then turn the wings and necks over and
roast an addditional 45 minutes.

Add broth to pan and continue to roast until liquid is reduced to 8 cups,
about 1 hour.

Strain stock and set asaide.

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1-2
minutes, stirring constantly.

Gradually add strained stock, whisking until smooth. Bring to a boil,
cook 2 minutes to thicken, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10
minutes.

Finish with vinegar, salt and pepper.

Yield: