A survey of sorts
  Re: (...)
It seems like everyone here is a "foodie" therefore why better to ask this. I am doing food hampers for neighbors for the holidays and feel a little overwhelmed by what you can do. Not so much that they are complicated for me to do but without sounding snotty, I get the impression that following a recipe and cooking an entire meal was as alien as well aliens ;-)and I don't want to do something that they would not do. I made bruschetta with the tomato and basil and they were like gob smacked when I told them I made it from scratch. So with that being said I just want to do simple things that most would enjoy. I was thinking of doing cocoa mix with homemade marshmallows and thought about doing the chocolate spoons but was not sure if they were too funky. I was also gonna do homemade dog biscuits for the neighbors who have dogs and have that be from our dog. Any ideas would be great. I just want to include unique things but that wont put off a novice.

Thanks
Linda
  Re: A survey of sorts by Emmasmum (It seems like everyo...)
You can't please all of the people all of the time. If you make something from scratch, some people will think you're trying to be an elitist. If you don't do something from scratch, some people will think you don't care enough to go through the trouble. Don't sweat it.

That said I use the dog-biscuit recipe from this link, and it is always well received by those who really matter: the dogs.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: A survey of sorts by Emmasmum (It seems like everyo...)
I think you're on track, Linda. Good first, simple second. I think your idea is a great gift idea. And, I've occassionally had to include a note on what to do with what but that's okay too.

Go for it!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: A survey of sorts by labradors (You can't please all...)
Quote:

You can't please all of the people all of the time. If you make something from scratch, some people will think you're trying to be an elitist. If you don't do something from scratch, some people will think you don't care enough to go through the trouble. Don't sweat it.

That said I use the dog-biscuit recipe from this link, and it is always well received by those who really matter: the dogs.

Thank you for the link and you are right. If they dont like it they don't have to use it ;-)

Linda
  Re: Re: A survey of sorts by Emmasmum ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I love your idea and find that most people really enjoy this type of gift. It means so much more than something glitzy and artificial. Have fun with it, there are so many things that you can include. If you want any ideas for something new, we'll all be glad to contribute.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A survey of sorts by Mare749 (I love your idea and...)
We did baskets for a couple of years in a row and everyone was very happy. Some things we did from scratch like 1/2 pint jams and/or jellies, pickled beets, jalapeno jelly, fudges, peanut brittle, etc. Some we purchased, for instance we bought large bags of M&Ms, Butterfingers, assorted Hershey's Miniatures, assorted crackers, etc. The purchased items we divided up into little colored cellophane baggies tied with twine, ribbons, etc., added jawbreakers, just lots of little things. We found some woven baskets for about $1.00 each and some of that colored nesting stuff like for easter, and then just put a variety of things in each basket according to who was getting it. I think doggie biscuits are a delightful gift and have received a batch of them plus a doggie bone cookie cutter and a bag of doggie biscuit mix from a neighbor. To me, personally, I am delighted with most anything that says you are thinking of me. Jean gave me a strawberry huller last year and she knows damned well I hate and am allergic to the things. But, it was the thought behind the gift that counted. You can get those small square gift cards and write a short note to include in the baskets too.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: A survey of sorts by bjcotton (We did baskets for a...)
Linda, I think it's a great idea, and have been doing it for awhile. I usually make a lot of preserves during the summer, that that goes in the basket. I pick up a box of little spreader knives, and include one in each basket.

I like to make appetizers and freeze them, and include heating instructions. Things like Tourtiere Turnovers, savoury shortbeads, puff pastry cheese twisty things, lots of things with phyllo. You can include cocktail napkins from the dollar store.

Spice mixtures are great to make, include instructions / recipes on how to use them. ( My family loves Emeril's BAM ) I buy spice jars 3/$1.00.

I used to include dog biscuits ( well,only if they had a dog ) They always went over great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: A survey of sorts by Lorraine (Linda, I think it's ...)
Consider making assorted salsas and canning them. I have several from a Rick Bayless book we make and freeze for our own use at are very good that I'd be happy to post if you're interested.

At the holidays my daughter and I go on a cookie baking jag. We serve them at our holiday open house and make up plates for the neighbors. I buy square paper plates, so the cookie plate fits snuggly enough in a gal. ziplock bag. Tie a ribbon on it and that's it.

You'll have so many ideas from this post to choose from! Let us know how it goes.

The dog treats from Labrador is a great idea I might borrow myself!
  Re: Re: A survey of sorts by bjcotton (We did baskets for a...)
"Jean gave me a strawberry huller last year and she knows damned well I hate and am allergic to the things. But, it was the thought behind the gift that counted."

Geesus C----------, you ingrate!! Do you have any idea how many hours went into searching for the just right one and how many folks in this world would give their first born for a friggin' present such as you recieved???? I swear.....
(I was really hoping you'd use to manicure your nose hairs....slow and painful...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A survey of sorts by Lorraine (Linda, I think it's ...)
hi

reading your post - would you post the Tourtiere
turnover recipe. have recently heard about the
Christmas Pie
thanks
marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.