Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff
  Re: (...)
On Superbowll I posted Meatballs three ways from the foodsaver web site and the meal plans that went with them - Traditional, Italian and Asian.

I made the baked ziti with the italian meatballs. It was just ok. Probably won't make again. The meatballs are good, the pasta was just dry and nothing special. We like italian meatballs just in sauce with pasta or in the subs. I have not made anyting with the Asian yet. Soon.

But last night I made the Meatball Mushroom stroganoff. Thawed one packet of meatballs. The rest of the dinner came together in 20 minutes. It was really good. Good flavor. We missed the texture of traditional stroganoff with sirloin, but you can't beat throwing together a good hearty dinner in 20 minutes! And the meatballs had plenty of flavor. Our biggest issue was the texture missing. But we decided it was a keeper!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by esgunn (On Superbowll I post...)
Thanks. I am something of a Stroganoff hound. I went to the Foodsaver site and printed it out. I'm also a bit concerned about the texture difference between hamburger and steak, but will definitely give it a shot.
  Re: Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by Ron (Thanks. I am somethi...)
I (now) wish I'd gotten those little buggers made before we left - it would be nice to have those options in the freezer right now. Altho, I must say that being in the land of relatives and friends we have yet to touch anything from the freezer yet.

Good to know your thots on these Erin.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by cjs (I (now) wish I'd got...)
I find I can adjust my thoughts, Ron, to where I anticipate the taste/texture of meatballs instead of steak with eagerness.

Darn it PJ, now I'm going to have to get some ground meat so I can make some more meatballs. I made a whole bunch with hamburger and breakfast sausage and the family whined they weren't like my old ones...but I dare you to try to find any left around here. Hey, I just remembered, I have some ground elk burger in the freezer!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by bjcotton (I find I can adjust ...)
One night we really had a craving for stroganoff but had nothing but ground beef. It was pretty darn good. Then there was the night I was too tired to care, let alone cook. We wanted Swedish meatballs - but there was no pork, no bread for breadcrumbs, and no energy - just made it with the ground meat. Not the same - but it was pretty darn good.

They say necessity is the mother of invention - nah! Lazy!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by Harborwitch (One night we really ...)
Lol, after all this talk, I got hungry for meatballs. For dinner we had meatballs cooked in roasted tomato sauce (from my garden ) on rolls, with lots of parmesan.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by Half_Baked (Lol, after all this ...)
I really hate to admit this - but this is what we had for dinner the other night:

1/2 box penne pasta cooked al dente
1 can chili without beans
1 can campbells southwest (or fiesta) cheese soup
1 can diced tomatoes with their juices
1 tbs southwest seasoning
about 1/3 bag frozen meatballs
1 1/2 c. frozen corn
1/2 can black olives sliced
Sliced extra sharp cheddar cheese to cover

Place meatballs and frozen corn in a med. baking dish. Put chili, tomatoes, and soup in a saucepan and heat, stirring well to combine. Add pasta and olives to baking dish along with the "sauce". Stir well to make sure everything is evenly distributed. Cover with sliced cheese and bake at 350 until cheese is melted and everything is bubbly.

I cannot believe that I admitted to this - but for cryin' out loud it was really good. I might even make it again. I am in the habit of keeping a bag of Schwans (or Costco's) in the freezer just in case of an emergency.
  Re: Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by Harborwitch (I really hate to adm...)
Sharon, your recipe sounds pretty darn good to me! Some of the best dishes are the ones we make up ourselves.

One of my friends made up a seafood alfredo with penne pasta dish. She cooked penne pasta, added alfredo sauce, some diced stewed tomatoes and 1/2 lb. each of shrimp and scallops. It's great and I make it all the time.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by Mare749 (Sharon, your recipe ...)
That Alfredo sounds pretty good too.
  Re: Re: Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff by Harborwitch (That Alfredo sounds ...)
Sharon, that sounds like a good trailer dish...duly copied -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com