Suggestions Please
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by TwilightKitten (It would be my pleas...)
Oooh oooh, here's another one Jean made for New Years. Sorry Jean, I kept thinking...oh yuk! It was wonderful. Even my SIL liked it:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Caviar Pie

Recipe By :cjs - C2C
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 large hard-boiled egg -- finely chopped
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 large sweet onions -- finely chopped
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2/3 cup sour cream
3 1/2 ounces caviar
lemon wedges & parsley sprigs -- for garnish

1. Rub bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with butter, or spray with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, combine eggs and mayonnaise until blended.
3. Spread in bottom of pan to make an even layer; sprinkle with onion.
4. Combine cream cheese and sour cream; beat until smooth.
5. By the spoonful, drop onto onion and with a wet table knife, spread gently to smooth.
6. Cover and chill at least three hours or overnight.
7. At party time, top with a layer of caviar, distributing it to the edges of the pan. Run a knife around sides of pan; loosen and lift off the sides.
8. Arrange lemon wedges in open pinwheel and fill center with parsley sprigs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Black Lumpfish or Whitefish Caviar can be used. Serve with small slices of pumpernickel bread, or some sort of cocktail bread rounds.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Suggestions Please by farnfam (As the great white n...)
Shrimp Dip

Makes about two cups

! 8 oz package cream cheese, room temp
1 7 oz can tiny shrimps, rinsed, well drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp dried dillweed
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and beat until well blended. Transfer to serving dish and cover, chill until ready to serve.

I use thinly sliced black or rye bread or
Thin, crisp crackers

EASY and tasty!!!

From Bon Appetit

This is also a GREAT appetizer if you have nice ripe avocados available:

Curry Cream Mayonnaise
About 1 3/4 cups

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup creme fraiche -I have used sour cream successfully but the creme is better
2-3 tsp curry powder
3 TBS tomato catsup
1/3 cup heavy cream
Juice from 1-2 lemons (I go lighter than 2)
Salt to taste
Freshly ground white pepper
Touch worcestershire sauce
2 TBS fin-chopped parsley

Place mayonnaise into a bowl and add all other ingredients. Mix with a wire whisk until sauce is smooth.

AND THEN---Fold in a couple cans of baby shrimp (rinsed and drained) or cooked baby shrimp---whatever is your preference--amount is totally up to your discretion--I like TONS!!!

AND THEN:

Pit and peel the avocado and slice into about 1/4 inch slices--crosswise or lengthwise--don't matta!! Fan some slices on a little plate and cover with a dollop (A BIG ONE)of the shrimp/mayo mixture. Or cut the avo in half, remove pit and fill the avo with the mixture---YUM!!! Use a spoon!!!!

Quite simple to do and always a big hit!!! Accompany with a couple of crackers so that you can scoop all of it off the plate!!!

The mayo recipe is from THE ABBEY COOKBOOK the rest is my take.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by bjcotton (Oooh oooh, here's an...)
I'd better get in here before BillyJ posts all my favorites!! That Caviar Pie is without a doubt the very best appetizer - best seller with my customers.

Here's a couple more to play with -

GARLIC ROASTED SHRIMP COCKTAIL

oven to 450°. On a heavy baking sheet mix together -
(for ~1 1/2 lbs. shrimp)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt & cracked black pepper

Add the peeled, but tails left on, shrimp to the b. sheet and toss together with the garlic mixture. Spread out in a single layer.

Roast for 3 min, turn shrimp over & continue roasting till the shrimp are opaque and firm, another 2-4 min.

Transfer shrimp to a shallow dish, cover partially & refrigerate. When the shrimp are chilled, eat those suckers!! Just remember when you transfer the shrimp, scrape the bottom of the b. sheet and get all the great goop for the shrimp.

I'm bound and determined one of these days to stay out of the shrimp long enuf to cook up some pasta and just scrape all that on top!! It is so good!

Also, if you don't have a favorite cocktail sauce -

1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c chili sauce
1/4 c grated red onion
1/2-1 tsp. finely chopped fresh jalapeno
2-3 T. prepared horseradish
1 T. fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt to taste.

This will keep up to a week...I'm told. Just before serving taste and add more lemon juice and salt if needed.
--------

OVEN FRIED RICE BALLS W/GRUYERE

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot -- minced
1 garlic clove -- minced 1 cup arborio rice
2 cups water
3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
¼ cup mixed chopped herbs -- such as thyme, basil and oregano
Salt and cracked black pepper
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Lightly oil a large, rimmed baking sheet. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for30 seconds. Stir in the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat, stir-ring occasionally, until the water has been completely absorbed, about 10 minutes. Scrape the rice into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

2. Stir the Gruyère, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and all of the chopped herbs into the rice. Season the rice with salt and generously season with coarsely cracked pepper.

3. In a medium stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks form. Stir one-fourth of the whites into the rice to loosen the mixture, then stir in the remaining whites. Roll the rice into 11/2-inch balls.

4. In a shallow bowl, toss the panko with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Dredge the rice balls in the panko crumbs and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake the rice balls in the upper third of the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a platter and serve.

Oven-Fried Rice Balls with Gruyère
MAKES ABOUT 30 RICE BALLS
Flecked with black pepper and Gruyere, these crusty rice balls are an irresistible hors d'oeuvres. They're great for parties be-cause they are baked rather than fried.

WINE Savory Gaston-Chiquet ler Cru Tra-dition Carte Verte Brut NV, which has a high percentage of Pinot Meunier. *
We served Veuve Ambal Blanc de Blanc - very good.

Serving Ideas : ------
Served with Apple Cranberry Pear Chutney, from Earth Vine Provisions - www.earthvine.com
Earth & Vine Provisions, Inc.
P.O. Box 1637
Loomis, CA 95650
-----

SPICY SHRIMP WRAPPED IN SNOW PEAS - CJS

20 uncooked large shrimp -- peeled, deveined
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large garlic clove -- pressed
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
20 large snow peas -- stringed
1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds -- toasted
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
20 small wooden skewers or toothpicks

Combine shrimp, ginger, vegetable oil, garlic and five-spice powder in medium bowl; toss to blend.

Cover mixture and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Bring medium pot of salted water to boil. Add snow peas; cook just until crisp-tender, about 45 seconds. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain; pat dry.
Transfer peas to bowl. Drizzle sesame oil and sesame seeds over, to coat. Set aside.

Heat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp mixture and saute 3 minutes. Add soy sauce; stir until shrimp are just opaque in center and liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Transfer to plate and cool completely.
Wrap 1 snow pea lengthwise around each shrimp from head to tail. Secure with skewers.

(Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover & refrigerate.) Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Asian flavors accent this low-fat do-ahead appetizer. MAKES 20

-----

Love new appetizer ideas - now that spring is here, I just thot of another category I love getting new ideas for - summer salads. I'm going to go start another thread on those. This is great! (Since we've all just met recently, we must all have some great ideas for everyone!!!- well, there are a few I've already picked their brains, but maybe they've found something new over the weeks..... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by cjs (I'd better get in he...)
YUM, YUM, AND MORE YUM!!!! Rox, cj, everyone, these are great. Running out directly to get more vodka, limes and mixer. Rain predicted this weekend will keep us off the deck, but who cares now . Jamie, make the drinks honey and I'll do some appetizers, then we'll lay around the shanty and sing rain, rain go away.(Hic)
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by farnfam (YUM, YUM, AND MORE Y...)
Jean's Caviar Pie is great, as are the Rice Balls! Here's one I cal my Martini Spread. So easy, and keeps well in the fridge, so you can make it during the week for the weekend.

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounces of butter ( yeah I know), softened
3/4 cup ( or more if you want) sliced pimento stuffed olives
2 Tbsps minced fresh chives

Combine cream cheese and butter. Mix in olives and chives. Serve with pumpernickel, dark rye bread, or crackers, and a martini.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by farnfam (YUM, YUM, AND MORE Y...)
NO NO NO---WE need the rain---and besides it is a great excuse to cuddle under a blanket and catch up on some reading!!! We are in need of rain ---now in the midst of a downpour---YEAH!!! We have not had rain for six months and the water bill reflects it!!! Those appetizers sound like a great MEAL!!! PRAY for more rain!!!!
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by Lorraine (Jean's Caviar Pie is...)
UMMMM!!!!
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by Lorraine (Jean's Caviar Pie is...)
I hope this thread goes on and on. IMHO bread cases are truly marvelous. Mushies, most certainly, Rox. shrimp salad. Avocado, anything. For me bliss is sitting down with an avocado, a lemon, a pepper grinder and a teaspoon. Or a red bell pepper and a slice of Maori Bread or Vogels. But is more a lunch. The victorians would have us eat oysters at every turn, they were cheap then. (Oh no, not oyster pie again).
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by vannin (I hope this thread g...)
Guacamole

2 large avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced into 1 inch squares.
1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
juice of one lime
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 seranno chili w/seeds & membranes, finely chopped
kosher salt to taste
fresh ground pepper
tortilla chips

Mash cilantro and salt in mocahita or mortar. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili, and lime juice. Mash, but leave small chunks. Add avocados & mash coarsly--add pepper, stir together w/ fork or spoon--adjust seasonings. Serve with tortilla chips.

Pico de Gallo

3 large tomatoes 1/4 inch dice
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 bunch cilantro chopped (or more)
1 serrano chili w/seeds & membranes, finely chopped (or more)
juice of 1 lime with a touch of lime zest added
salt & pepper
1 Tbls corn oil or evoo

Adjust seasonings and serve as a dip or a side. Matches well with the Guacamole above.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Suggestions Please by Roxanne 21 (NO NO NO---WE need t...)
"We have not had rain for six months"

OMG, time to do a rain dance for you!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.