Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza
  Re: (...)
Surprise - we liked it!! Thanks for sending this, Maryann!

Cauliflower Crust Pizza – Serves 2

1 cup cooked -- riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg -- beaten
1 tsp dried oregano (next time I’ll do 1/2 tsp. each: basil & oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic (I don’t have garlic salt, so used 2 cloves of garlic and a pinch of salt)
1/2 tsp garlic salt (omitted)
olive oil (optional)
pizza sauce -- shredded cheese and your choice of toppings*

My toppings: grilled 1/4 red bell pepper, 1 med. zucchini in strips, 1 thick slice of red onion
Cheese: mozzarella and cheddar

To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). (My note: I used the grater blade on my processor - I was afraid of over doing it. Worked great)

Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.

Shredded Cauliflower
[Image: ShreddedCauliflower.jpg]

One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week. (I’m going to make the other two crusts and freeze one – see how that works)

I forgot the egg in the mix, so had to scrape off sheet and back into the bowl. Crust with all ingredients added and patted out on b. sheet
[Image: Crustreadyforoven.jpg]

To Make the Pizza Crust:
Preheat oven to 450° degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. (I think 450° is too high, I’ll try 375° for 15 minutes.)

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning. (I did brush with EVO)

Bake at 450° (or 375° or whatever) for 15 minutes. (After about 8 min. I used a large offset spatula and loosened the crust from the baking sheet and again after it was done baking and before adding the toppings. It did make it easier at service.) I guess if you had a Teflon baking sheet, it would be perfect??

Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).

[Image: CauliflowerCrustPizzawGrilledVeggies.jpg]

*Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.

----
I'm so excited to send this to one of my nieces who can't have wheat products. It is flavorful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by cjs (Surprise - we liked ...)
Hmmmmmm - looks interesting, also good for those who have to watch their carbs!

Thanks for being the "guinea pig"!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Harborwitch (Hmmmmmm - looks inte...)
We liked it too! Ron even commented on how flavorful it was without the heavy bread crust. Mine looked pretty much the same as yours, Jean. I used red sauce, onions, mushrooms, pepperoni and more cheese. This is a pretty good sub for those of us who are trying to eat a lower carb diet.

Next up, we'll try the same crust made with zucchini and another one I saw that calls for ground meat.

Edited to add: Thought I should mention that this is not the kind of pizza you pick up with your hands and has to be eaten with a fork.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Mare749 (We liked it too! [im...)
WOW! Who would have thunk? Another must try.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! Who would have...)
I wonder if I could slip that by my grandkids? I afraid of the wood oven--700 might be too much for cauliflower--maybe early in the warm up or inside.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Old Bay (I wonder if I could ...)
Gotta try this! I don't need the gluten-free aspect, but it just sound as though it would be not only healthier than always having all the bread associated with pizza, but also very tasty - especially when I recall the taste of that wonderful roasted cauliflower.

Thanks, Jean!

BTW. how was it to cut the final pizza?

P.S.: Not only would I use a mixture of oregano and basil, as you suggested, but I would also add a little thyme, as well.

P.P.S.: How about using parchment on the baking sheet, instead of having to bother with the spatula?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by labradors (Gotta try this! I d...)
Because I loosened it twice from the sheet, it was no problem at all to cut it in 4 pieces and to serve them.

Maryann, I used grilled zucc, red onion and bell pepper, but the next ones I'll branch out a little. I did use red sauce also. Next one, probably mushroom and I have some pepperoni (or salami? sausage?) and onion.

Labs, I did think about using parchment paper, don't know why I decided to go the 'spray' route.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by cjs (Because I loosened i...)
Someone on another forum mentioned making this. I had forgotten all about it. Time to play with it again!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by cjs (Someone on another f...)
Sure is! Thanks for bringing it up again.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review: Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Mare749 (Sure is! Thanks for...)
Loved in when I made it. Delicious!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?