REVIEW: Grilled Steak Sandwich-Issue 82
  Re: (...)
This sandwich had a lot going on. It's loaded with spinach, cucumbers, and a green goddess spread. We really liked it for something different. And it's a relatively simple dinner to put together. I probably wouldn't grill a steak JUST for this sandwich, but for leftover steak, it's a nice alternative.

Changes/Recommendations:
-I never got around to baking bread today. I forgot I needed it for dinner, but I got wrapped up with a house project, that I'm proud I finished. The little local grocery doesn't carry fresh baked bread, so I had the idea to use Cole's Garlic Bread. It worked fine, but it was a little too thick for this. The ciabatta would have been much better.
-The green goddess spread was pretty good, but next time I will probably try a different herb like parsley. I'm just not a HUGE tarragon fan.
-I didn't have tarragon vinegar for the spread, so I used the suggested substitute of white wine vinegar.

Overall, I'd give this recipe about an 8.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: REVIEW: Grilled Steak Sandwich-Issue 82 by Gourmet_Mom (This sandwich had a ...)
So how do you think that basil would be in place of the tarragon? I'm not a fan of that particular herb. And chicken in place of the steak?

If I may go OT, what was the house project that prevented you from making the bread? My excuse is that I spent 6 hours weeding flower beds and planting tomatoes (at long, long last).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Grilled Steak Sandwich-Issue 82 by foodfiend (So how do you think ...)
You didn't make it either...LOL! I feel much better! My excuse was my laundry room which had become a storage room. In addition to a bunch of other junk in there I had six liquor boxes full of cookbooks that my mother bought for me and BG. BG said she had enough. I was going to take them to the Boy's Home Store, but William, who had a fit when I brought them home, said there was NO WAY I was getting rid of cookbooks. Luckily, I came up with the idea of lining them up on the counter top on either side of the sink in there. There were quite a few old ones, as well as a couple of collections/annuals. WHEW! I'm glad that's done.

Now to finish the back porch/sunroom, which had also become a storage room. It's all cleaned out, we've just got to decide whether to replace the plexiglass panels with screen, like it used to be, or replace the plexiglass. Did you know you can buy glass panels for cheaper than plexiglass? Then to get someone to re-upholster the cushions for the rattan furniture that used to be out there and I'm done.

I'm glad you finally got your tomatoes in. I'm thinking of picking up a few more plants, now that my lettuce is spent. The three I've got going now are loaded! I picked my first ripe tomato today. These are for canning...San Marzanos. I'd like to have some for sammies, etc., though.

Anyway, I'll bake bread Tuesday, I guess.
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Grilled Steak Sandwich-Issue 82 by Gourmet_Mom (You didn't make it e...)
Oh,I vote for the screen-- I love screened-in porches!

A few years ago a gust of wind upended my glass-topped wicker table and the glass shattered. I was shocked at how much a replacement cost ($250!) and made some calls about plexiglass but it was even more expensive. I raised the white flag and so the table sits, without a protective top.

You are a busy bee!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Grilled Steak Sandwich-Issue 82 by foodfiend (Oh,I vote for the sc...)
BTW, Vicci, I just realized I didn't answer your original question. I had basil in my suggestion for a sub, but deleted it since I felt the parsley would be best...maybe. Something about the need for that pop of springtime freshness that you get from tarragon being replaced by the Italian Parsley. But I would definitely try it with basil...especially if doing the sandwich with chicken/turkey! And yes, I think it WOULD actually work well with chicken.

Also, did you check out the sandwich at the top of the blog that Jean posted in the martini thread? It's made from dough formed into a circle...cool enough, but when you read on, you realize the dressing for the veggies and the avocado aioli sound WONDERFUL!
Daphne